No announcement yet.

Avanti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you want to see what Avanti's looked like as they progressed, you can Google each year and also go through the sold and offered Ebay vehicles. In the 80's they were offered with excellent leather interiors, Recaro seats and other high end trappings in-line with a vehicle of a $30,000 price tag in that era.

As stated previously, the SBC gives you the possibility of a wide range of engines and manual tranny's up to six speeds and automatics with overdrive. Some members have gone as far as LS engines and modern electronic overdrive transmissions.

The early Avanti's were not know for the best seats for long distance driving but the early models still look the best with the round headlights IMHO.

It's your choice and money but every era offers something to certain individuals and that's the conundrum that each first time buyer needs to research.

I've lusted for an Avanti since 1963 but because of my needs I chose the II series. As I said earlier, my 83 is a very upscale 355 SBC with a 2004R tranny and leather interior. The 74 is a much modified 383 stroker SBC with a T56 6-speed manual and much modified interior with newer leather seats and a unique digital dash.

Take your time, look at many, build your vision of what you want and go from there.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Stuhawk View Post
      Thanks again Ken.
      As of right now I wouldn't know a good one from a bad one. I'm sure there are models that are better than others and less prone to engineering short comings. It also seems that most of them are priced at around $20K and up. I think I remember reading somewhere that the cloth used was Rayon or some such cloth and not fiberglass. Was just wondering if the later cars were made different. It seems you did your research before buying and not just based on looks and heresy.

Not all Avantis are fiberglass, as was stated earlier. 1963-1989 models were fiberglass. Then Avanti switched to Kevlar. They later switched back to fiberglass.

I have owned new and used Avantis and worked on many others.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Thanks for the info. It seems there is much more to consider in regarding the Avantis than some of the other Studebakers. It seems each model has its own issues in regards to that model. Im guessing the 1965 Altman Avanti is about as scarce as hens teeth and very much a collector. Much research is needed on these cars if a person is going to collect one for a road car.
        There were only 56 1965 Avantis built (about 1/6 the number of 1953 Corvettes). After 53 years, how many good ones do you think still exist?
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Stuhawk,
          I guess I picked the path similar to Bob. My '70 (Nates' actual personal car from San Diego) I hot rodded with electric Recaros, Doug Nash 5 speed(formerly with Borg Warner Automatic), custom Stewart Warner gauges etc. and have left my '83 very stock. They have a gorgeous leather interior(still stinks after 35 years). But as sweetolbob stated, the 305 sucks big time hence I'm building a 406 cid to wake it up. Due to emission standards of the day there is very little hope for 305's which make economical sense when crate motors are so cheap.
          Good luck in your quest. You won't be sorry.
          Bill

Comment

I think you have been given some good advice. Just a couple more thoughts
            The power windows on Stude and early Avanti IIs are problematic as they crack the mountings on the door. Additionally, there could be door hinge problems where the mounting pad on the door frame is damaged. This could be an extensive repair. From what I can tell, based on my 78, these problems seem to have been remedied. There have also been issues with leaking sun roofs.

Studebakers have tapered rear axles. The later ones have flanged. Tapered axles have been known to crack - so the flanged axles may be a better choice for a car driven regularly. BTW, there are flanged axle conversions for the Studes.

If you want a concours car. I would get a 63 or 64. The ideal is the R2 4spd. The downside is these were not available with A/C. However, some have added aftermarket A/C systems.

If you want to have a good driver that you can modify, you should get one ftom the 70s or 80s as modifications will not devalue them and may actually increase their value.

One other thing, try to find one with a good dash pad. Replacements are not available.
            78 Avanti RQB 2792
            64 Avanti R1 R5408
            63 Avanti R1 R4551
            63 Avanti R1 R2281
            62 GT Hawk V15949
            56 GH 6032504
            56 GH 6032588
            55 Speedster 7160047
            55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

One thing to look at is the frame.For awhile I believe in 1972 Nate ran out of frames and used station wagon frames and cut a section out on each frame rail to get the Avanti wheelbase.
              The welds rusted badly and were not very good.
              He spend $100.000 to have Budd set up the old dies to make new frame rails.
              Nostalgic still has frame rails in stock.
              I believe the welds were under the drivers seat.
              I believe that someone (SI?)now makes new dashes from the old dies.
              If you want your Avanti restored the correct way and to like new condition,let
              Deluxe Autowerks in West Chicago do it. 630 293 7750.
              Robert Kapteyn

Comment

WOW Guys !
                that's a lot of info to absorb. Thanks to all. For me I guess it boils down to a dependable road car that has a 4spd transmission and a clean bill of health as far as rust issues. I just wonder what it looks like from the drivers seat looking over that long hood with those fender projections on both sides........must feel good. There is just something about a high fendered car with a long hood that makes you feel good when you drive it. It's like you become a part of the body. That's also why I like the 61 Hawk for the fender / hood contours. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by rkapteyn View Post
                  One thing to look at is the frame.For awhile I believe in 1972 Nate ran out of frames and used station wagon frames and cut a section out on each frame rail to get the Avanti wheelbase.
                  The welds rusted badly and were not very good.
                  He spend $100.000 to have Budd set up the old dies to make new frame rails.
                  Nostalgic still has frame rails in stock.
                  I believe the welds were under the drivers seat.
                  I believe that someone (SI?)now makes new dashes from the old dies.
                  If you want your Avanti restored the correct way and to like new condition,let
                  Deluxe Autowerks in West Chicago do it. 630 293 7750.
                  Robert Kapteyn
                  The information I have is it was in 1977 at car RQB2596 the new frame was used with the next two using the old frame, then RQB2599 was the next to use the new frame then the new frame was used continually from RQB2607.

I understand when they ran out of original frames Avanti Motors adapted a lighter gauge Studebaker frame with the X-member welded in and stiffeners added to bring it up to the same standards as the original. I stress that's what I understand but one can not always be sure with Avanti Motors.
                  Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Gunslinger,
                    good info to know and record for possible future use.

Does anyone on SDC have an Avanti pic that they would share taken from the drivers seat looking out over the hood as if you were driving it. I am curious as to how the hood/scoop/ fender projections might look when driving.

Comment

Gunslinger,

Does anyone on SDC have an Avanti pic that they would share taken from the drivers seat looking out over the hood as if you were driving it. I am curious as to how the hood/scoop/ fender projections might look when driving.
                      Not exactly over the hood, but maybe these would put you in the mood...
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by 53k; 02-15-2018, 10:39 AM.
                      Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

53k,
                      I'm already in the mood. Those are nice pics, thanks.

Confucius say "caveat emptor" or in laymans terms, go slowly and proceed with caution. Much study needed, lol.

Comment

Nostalgic Motors in Wixom, MI displayed a new Avanti dash pad that they are manufacturing at the SDC Int'l Meet last summer. The price was $2000.
                        -Dwight

Comment

Stuhawk, there are members in your area that have both Studebaker Avantis as well as Avanti II's. If you're thinking about getting an Avanti, I could PM you some people to contact that are in the Gateway(St Louis) and Crossroads(Effingham) chapters of SDC. It sounds like you're trying to do due diligence before getting an Avanti. All the advice from the guys above is worthwhile. You need also to look at what your intended use of the vehicle as well. Will the car be a driver or collector car? All cars in the '63-'85 range are going to need some going over if you're intending to hit the road with it. Making a car road worthy could easily surpass the purchase price of the car. Having both a '76 coupe and an '89 convertible, I speak from experience.

I've had my '76 since January 2011 and its gone through a frame on restoration during the time I've had it. The '89 was resto-modded some time before I bought it in November 2014, having a 383 SBC motor and 4L60 AOD transmission, Ford 9" rear end, 4 wheel disc brakes along with 20's on the rear and 18's on the front. The '76 has the original 400 block but has been rebuilt twice, most recently last fall with EFI, aluminum heads, new EFI cam, rods and pistons installed. The THM 400 transmission was changed out in 2011 for a rebuilt 200R4 AOD, new suspension, brake upgrade, brake lines, fuel lines, rear end rebuilt, new weather stripping as well as a total body repaint have been done. The car has had 37000 miles put on it since I got it 7 years ago, going to both coasts and throughout the midwest for Studebaker Meets and a Rte 66 trip. The second engine rebuild happened last fall when a cracked head was discovered converting to EFI. I love to drive the country in the '76 and am planning a drive to the meet in Tacoma in August with it. To do that amount of driving, I felt I needed to put that amount of work into it to have a reliable vehicle.

Your intended use for the car should be considered before making a purchase. Avanti II's aren't bringing the money the originals are, but in my opinion are a higher quality build and more modern. I had a '64 way back in '66-'69 and remembered the body cracks and driver's door hinge issues as well mechanical unreliability a 18 year old kid(me) most likely contributed to. Getting back into Avantis in 2011 turned out to be a pleasant surprise when I started looking at Avanti II's and saw the improvements over Studebaker that Newman and Altman had made. PM me if you have any questions about my experiences or if you'd like to see some owners near you.
                          Attached Files
                          sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

plwindish,

Thanks for the info and offer. I'm undecided on what to do at the present time . I don't drive the one I have now or the two before that. I wouldn't consider a trip all the way out to Tacoma Wa in a car that was built in 1961 like my Hawk until and unless it could prove mighty dependable. Best keep your cell phone charged up, lol. I truly believe it would cost a lot of money and labor to get it that reliable. I'm probably half way there now. I plan on making some short trips this spring and see how it goes. I thought maybe the Avanti (70s-80S) might be the answer but after some research i'm not sure. Having a breakdown a long way from home wouldn't be good and I doubt you could go to the local parts store for some things . Now if your traveling in a group/tour with other cars it might not be so bad as you would have some help if needed.

Comment

Gunslinger,

Comment

Working...
                              X