Thread: High Priced Ebay Items, Do they really sell???

President Member

High Priced Ebay Items, Do they really sell???

I see items like this more and more often it seems:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/61-1961-Stu...dae9HT&vxp=mtr

First, I am not saying anything about this vendor, I am not aware of them nor aware of any dealings I had with them.

I am just using this as an example. Our vendors get $30 or less for this pair and this ebay listing has them for a bit more.

I also see listings sold for what I think is a fair price and then they pop up again for five or so times that amount.

This day and time with the internet it is easy to google a part number and find other buying options. SA, SI, Studebakerparts.com, and StudebakersWest (in alpha order, ie no preference intended) all have websites with prices listed online.

I assume these type of listings would not be there if they did not sell. It takes time to put a listing on ebay, even if you are not getting charged a listing fee, it is still time the seller has to expend.

Studebaker owners are for the most part, CASO, myself included. Does this work better with other makes? Are there folks out there whom buy the first hit they find?

I probably will never understand this but it sure makes me shake my head.
    Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
    1961 Hawk 4-speed
    1967 Avanti
    1961 Lark 2 door
    1950 Commander Starlight
    1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Chip
    '63 Cruiser
    '57 Packard wagon
    '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
    '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Many people simply don't know all the sources to find parts. Some body or restoration shops may not know either regarding parts for certain makes...and they will add a markup to whatever it costs them anyway.

Those experienced in a specific make will have a better handle on sources that have established reputations rather than individuals selling on eBay. For those that don't have the experience, PT Barnum comes to mind.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

President Member Commander Eddie's Avatar
    I doubt those items will sell at that price. They are still available if you look around for less than a quarter that price.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Blog Entries
    Never know, someone might buy one of those at a high price, so the seller makes out good. I don't begrudge him that, if someone is willing to pay his price.
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

President Member
    $15 from S.I.

President Member
    They must have confused them with NOS 1961 Lark Taillight lenses!

President Member
    Some people have the perspective that if they spend more it HAS to be a better product. I find it funny that at the same dinner table one person can chatter on about how expensive an item they bought (bragging how wealthy they are) and another will ramble on about what a great deal they got (bragging how shrewd a person they are) and in the end it might be the exct same product they purchased.
    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

President Member
    I can't imagine why anyone would be paying that kind of price in this world of "Google" searches, but you never know.

What's that old saying, "There's a sucker born every minute".

BTW: I've got about 10 of these NOS at $12 each, but can't offer "Free Expedited Shipping" at that price, dang!
    Dan Peterson
    Montpelier, VT
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

President Member
    Even if just on eBay, anyone with elementary searching skills should be able to avoid paying too much. Just by searching "1961 Lark Lenses". this result is returned:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...enses&_sacat=0

Quote Originally Posted by 556063 View Post
    Even if just on eBay, anyone with elementary searching skills should be able to avoid paying too much. Just by searching "1961 Lark Lenses". this result is returned:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...enses&_sacat=0
    In that Ebay search, this one we talked about here--------> http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ghlight=tissue is still being listed.

Buyer beware!!

Craig