fixed roof wagons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fixed roof wagons

I pay attention to station wagons for sale. If I buy one my fist choice would be a 63 fixed roof with a 64 - 66 fixed roof as a second choice. How common are they. I always see sliding roof wagonairs. Comments anyone??
    james r pepper

I don't think they are all that uncommon in the Wagonaire/wagon world. I've seen quite a few 1964 and 1966 fixed-wagon/Wagonaires. The 1963 might be rarer as it was a mid-year model. I posted a photo of a fixed-roof wagon here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...s-camara-wagon

Craig
    Last edited by 8E45E; 02-11-2018, 07:35 PM.

Comment

I tend to agree with Craig, Jim; fixed-roof wagons aren't that uncommon.

There has been a nice Bordeaux Red, fixed-roof 1964 Daytona Wagonaire for sale at the Studebaker Indiana Swap Meet every May for a couple years now. It looks like a nice car but I don't know who owns it or if it is still for sale. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
        I tend to agree with Craig, Jim; fixed-roof wagons aren't that uncommon.

There has been a nice Bordeaux Red, fixed-roof 1964 Daytona Wagonaire for sale at the Studebaker Indiana Swap Meet every May for a couple years now. It looks like a nice car but I don't know who owns it or if it is still for sale. BP
        Part of the problem in not thinking that there are many fixed roof wagons is that many people call all wagons Wagonaires even though that was only true at the end of the run of this series. For example, on the back of a 1963 sliding roof wagon it says "Wagonaire" and it doesn't on a 1963 fixed roof wagon.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I know the fixed roof models don't leak upstairs, but what is the headliner material for them? Same as the slider ?

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
            ....what is the headliner material for them? Same as the slider ?
            See the photo in my link in Post #2.

Craig

Comment

I had 5 63's at one time in the early 80s three of them were fixed roofs.
              Bez Auto Alchemy
              573-318-8948
              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I owned at least 3 fixed roof wagons - a ‘63 Daytona, a ‘64 Daytona, and a ‘66. The ‘64 was my daily driver for several years during the 1970’s. The worst part about owning a fixed roof wagon was all the people that would exclaim “ Oh, look - it’s one of those sliding roof wagons!” Then you would have to explain that no, it wasn’t.

Comment

I guess I'll have to start looking a little harder and paying attention. Thanks guys.
                  james r pepper

Comment

I know of a 64 solid roof. It belongs to the same guy that I bought my Hawk, and M15A from. It is missing the engine, and has been sitting outside. It's also a long way from where you are. I'm thinking that you can find better, closer. He also has a 62, or 63 wagon, about the same condition.
                    Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

What's the fun of having a "normal" run of the mill wagon? The sliding roof is special. I believe the fixed roof models used the vinyl not cardboard headliner-at least the '63 my neighbor had used a standard Lark vinyl with sewn seams.
                      Rob in PA.

Comment

Originally posted by stude1964 View Post
                        What's the fun of having a "normal" run of the mill wagon? The sliding roof is special. I believe the fixed roof models used the vinyl not cardboard headliner-at least the '63 my neighbor had used a standard Lark vinyl with sewn seams.
                        Rob in PA.
                        I feel the same way. I remeber the ad's for the sliding roof when I was 9 yrs. old. It sticks with me til this day and is the only station wagon I have ever really liked.
                        But......., on the other hand after owning many GM T-roof cars and suffering from the results of the leaks, I understand the desire for a solid roof one!!
                        The same reason I will not buy another T-roof 70's TransAm.

Comment

The sliding roof Wagonaire can be leak proof.

I have two 64 Wagonaires. One did leak and would give the passenger (usually my wife) a cold bath when making left hand turns or sudden stops. For obvious reasons I have it in the shop and redoing the sliding roof completely right now.
                          The second one, which appears to be as it came from the factory, doesn't leak a drop. It sat outside last year during the hurricane when we had 30 inches of rain in 2 days and was totally dry except where one of the front door seals had leak just a little.

If I ever get the roof installed back in the first Wagoanire I'll let you know if I was successful.

Comment

When I bought my 65 wagonaire I replaced all the rubber seals on the car including the roof seal ,, it doesn’t leak and as has been earlier stated .....it wouldn’t be as much fun if the roof didn’t open .....just another wagon
                            sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Here I go again, just like a broken record! I don't think that it makes any difference whether it's fixed roof or not. It's all about condition. These cars are fifty five years old, and the good ones have been rather scarce for some time. If you have your mind set on a wagon, and turn down a good example, because it is not exactly perfect, you may not get another chance for a long time. If you doubt it go to any Intl Studebaker event, and see what you find. What is amazing to me is that there may be more of the prized later, wagons then there are the 1st generation wagons. Wagons were always the most heavily used, and the least desirable of any of the models, from the early eighties on.

Comment

Working...
                              X