Thread: Spectacular Day!

Thumbs up Spectacular Day!

Worked out in the shop today... (Doing hand work on CNC ported heads today)
    Warm, breezy, rained on and off... No bugs...
    PERFECT day!

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

President Member
    Well, I officially hate you. 15 degrees here in north central OK this morning. I spent some time down in the garage, and even with the heater going, was not that comfortable.

On another note: Who does the CNC porting? How close to "done" are they when they come out of the machine? I plan to go throught a 57 Golden Hawk 289 in the near future (technically a 57 Packard Clipper engine, but exactly the same... so i usually just call it a Golden Hawk motor.... sounds way better) and the thought of cnc ported heads is very appealing.

Just from the visual, I am liking the shape of those combustion chambers. Look more modern than stock heads for sure. So, what CC are the chambers and what kind of compression can you get with flat tops and a good quench down around .035"?

Great questions....
    This has been a three year process.
    I have the CNC process done.
    There is some work required 'after' the CNC process. The Stude head is not CNC friendly, as the port curves do not allow full engagement of the CNC tooling.
    But, no CNC process is 100%, so don't believe everything that is in Hot Rod magazine.
    Combustion chamber CC is dependent on what head was chosen for the process.
    The R2 combustion chamber gets hardly any contact from the CNC tool with the current program.
    But that is not unexpected. It is the intake port and the exhaust port that is important.
    Much has been written about this project over on the Racing Studebaker Forum (No thanks to Photobucket):
    http://www.racingstudebakers.com/foo...php?f=9&t=2770

Send me a PM for more info..

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

President Member Colgate Studebaker's Avatar
    As a testament to Jeff's process and workmanship, there are very few that can produce the equivalent of his work by doing the porting by hand. Jeff has a set of my heads right now that he is finishing. I have done hand porting on several sets of heads, and the cost of Jeff's work is a bargain compared to the amount of time hand porting takes. I'll be getting a much better finished product from Jeff than I could produce myself, plain and simple. Bill

President Member
    Nice endorsement Bill. I am sure Jeff's check is in the mail! I just wish he was closer so I could do the same.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
    Nice endorsement Bill. I am sure Jeff's check is in the mail! I just wish he was closer so I could do the same.
    Bill
    They ship OK. 61# a box.
    I use Fed-Ex Ground (best rate so far)...

Nice! & a god day indeed, so had I too, finaly managing a new gearbox balk.
    (Gonna take a few pix for the Racing site...)

Josephine
    Champion V8
    4d sedan