Short Circuit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aussie Hawk;
    As graylark says when the ignition key is turned to start I believe that the only electric circuits that are energized is the starter and the ignition. The engine would start and when the key is returned to run, the rest of the electrical system is energized. If the radio circuit is shorted; that would kill the engine.
    Now for the cable to the starter. It is possible that the starter failed due to the number of attempts to start the engine.
    And for Gary; it is about 860+ miles to where my daughter was on the North West side of Chicago from my house via route I90 not counting miles driven for food and fuel.
    Ron

Comment

Here would be my solution and probably the quickest and most economical in the long run. With a 60 year old car I would replace the whole wiring harness. Buy one from a SDC vendor. Then what I have found to be the easiest method is to cut the old harness in half just past the firewall. Remove the dash(about two hour chore) and rewire, this way you are only working one wire at a time. When finished there is a dash brace directly behind the ignition switch, be sure to cover it with some rubber or electrical tape as this is a grounding culprit for many a ignition switch and wiring harness. Re install the dash, push wiring harness thru the firewall then hook up the outside wiring. Should not be more than a days chore.
      It is an addiction!

Comment

Originally posted by 63t-cab View Post
        Hi Matt, Man am I really sorry to hear of the unfortunate issue with Ziggy. I'm glad the young owner didn't get hurt,and the Champion didn't get burnt ! curious how many miles are on the odometer now ?

Joe.
        Hi Joe,
        The mileage is now 476541. I've suggest that Liam join the forum and send you messages directly. He's pretty cut up about the damage caused by the short, he loves that car. It's booked in to be picked up next Tuesday and shipped back up here to me so I can get him back on the road. Did you get the pics I sent of him before he was sent to my son?
        Matt
        Brisbane
        Australia
        sigpic

Visit my Blog: http://www.mattsoilyrag.blogspot.com.au/

Comment

To: Graylark, Ron Strasser & jbwhittail,
          Thanks for your input, I have thought through all of the possible causes you have suggested, but until it actually gets home, (should be later next week), I/we am just theorizing. I'll have a good poke around when it arrives and let you know.
          Thanks again
          Cheer
          matt
          Matt
          Brisbane
          Australia
          sigpic

Comment

Matt, try sending the pics to this email : champ63@yahoo.com

look forward to seeing them !

Thanks, Joe.

Originally posted by Aussie Hawk View Post
            Hi Joe,
            The mileage is now 476541. I've suggest that Liam join the forum and send you messages directly. He's pretty cut up about the damage caused by the short, he loves that car. It's booked in to be picked up next Tuesday and shipped back up here to me so I can get him back on the road. Did you get the pics I sent of him before he was sent to my son?
            Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Well the '55 arrived home this afternoon so got under the dash straight away. It was obvious at 1st sight - the ign switch has turned and the main power wire lined up exactly with a point on the new speaker frame - you couldn't organize that if you tried! Maybe it was the Gods of Automotive Engineering stopping the car before something worse happened ! Anyway the next thing is to strip back the insulation tape and see how much damage has been done to the other wires. Not looking forward to spending considerable time hanging up side down under the dash. :-)
              Matt
              Brisbane
              Australia
              sigpic

Comment

Have you looked further in to the heavy wire from the solenoid to the starter?

Comment

Working...
                X