Thread: Steering: What Is The Spline/Size On A Hawk Steering Wheel Shaft?

Question Steering: What Is The Spline/Size On A Hawk Steering Wheel Shaft?

Question:

What is the size/spline on a 1959 Hawk steering wheel shaft?

I see some awesome deals on tilt columns, but need to know the spec to order something and keep the original wheel.

Any help out there?

Thanks ahead of time.....
    Last edited by DEEPNHOCK; 02-11-2018 at 08:24 PM.
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

I can't remember the size, but the 56 up in all Studebaker cars, I think, went to a common size. below is the odd big size?

The change to a smaller diameter occurred with the 57 models. 56 still had the older/larger diameter.

That's a nit-pick that still does not answer deepnhock's question.

Fortunately there is a steering box in my pile of stuff. The main shaft OD is .755 and the splines OD is .690.
    Last edited by RadioRoy; 02-11-2018 at 11:07 PM.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

President Member Colgate Studebaker's Avatar
    Jeff, if you find something that will work let me know who you got it from. I've been looking for spline adapters to use my '64 Hawk wheel on an '87 GM (Monte Carlo) steering column. There doesn't seem to be any manufacturers that make the type of spline I need. Thanks, Bill.

Will do Bill...
    I know it's a long shot, but... "You never get something you neve ask for"

Jeff

It's the same size and spline as an Avanti, if that helps any. Sometimes Grant, will list Avanti adapters.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

President Member
    I have the original steering shaft out of my daughter's 59 Silver Hawk. I can measure it later today if I can find it??

treblig

Think he's going the other way, keeping the original steering wheel adapted to a newer tilt column.
    Check with a machine shop to see what they can do. Either build an adapter or re-spline the wheel if a column with the correct splines is not available.
    Quote Originally Posted by bezhawk View Post
    It's the same size and spline as an Avanti, if that helps any. Sometimes Grant, will list Avanti adapters.
    1966 Daytona (The First One)
    1950 Champion Convertible
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
    1957 Thunderbird

President Member
    Here's the original '59 Silver Hawk steering shaft off my daughter's car. Looks like 11/16 or .687" diameter on the spline. I counted 42 splines, maybe someone can verify my count??

TrebligDSC07742.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by thunderations View Post
    Think he's going the other way, keeping the original steering wheel adapted to a newer tilt column.
    Check with a machine shop to see what they can do. Either build an adapter or re-spline the wheel if a column with the correct splines is not available.
    My point being...if Grant lists an adapter for Avanti, then maybe he can cross reference that part number to other columns. Or better yet, they just might give dimensions.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Thanks all for the replies...
    All good info. Gives me a starting point to search and hopefully fine a solution...
    Thanks!

Jeff

Champion Member
    I believe that the spline count is one spline off when I tried to put a Studebaker wheel on a GM tilt column in my '53 wagon. When I installed epas to my GM tilt column I had to cut the splined hub out of an old GM steering wheel and make an aluminum adapter that would bolt to the Studebaker steering wheel. It helped that I needed to add a little length to the column to extend it further back toward the seat. I will take a picture and see if I can figure out how to post it.

Champion Member

Studebaker wheel to GM column

Here is what I had to do to connect the GM column to the Lark steering wheel. I cut the hub out of a old GM steering wheel (turned it round in my lathe) and essentially aligned it up to the hub on the Studebaker wheel and bolted the two together with a chunk of aluminum bolted on the bottom of the GM hub that filled the gap between the column and the steering wheel. I had to bore out the splines in the Studebaker's hub and make a extended nut that would pass thru the center of the Studebaker's hub and engage onto the GM's threads which protrudes thru the GM hub. I drilled a hole that aligns up with the GM's horn wire and it will attach with the Lark's original horn ring. I hope this is clear. Here are some pictures. #1 complete tilt wheel GM column with Lark wheel attached, #2 top of Lark wheel attached to adapter and extended nut, #3 bottom of adapter bolted onto Lark wheel. This will all fit nicely in my '53 Conestoga wagon but still retain the stock look.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Speedster Member
    Having mucked around with this the last few months I found the Avanti steering wheel fits on Ford splined shafts but not GM or Holden in my case.
    The splines of the Holden were more course ( lower number count ) than the Falcon ( higher number count).
    I was checking on 70's Aussie Ford Falcons which should be the same as the 60's Mustangs.
    I hope that helps.
    pb

President Member Skinnys Garage's Avatar
    X2 on Ford splines. I used my '73 Torino wheel on my '59 Lark for a while.
    Skinny___'59 Lark VIII Regal____'60 Lark Marshal___

I like it. What GM column are you using? Thinking of putting electric PS in one or 2 of my projects.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruzzar View Post
    Here is what I had to do to connect the GM column to the Lark steering wheel. I cut the hub out of a old GM steering wheel (turned it round in my lathe) and essentially aligned it up to the hub on the Studebaker wheel and bolted the two together with a chunk of aluminum bolted on the bottom of the GM hub that filled the gap between the column and the steering wheel. I had to bore out the splines in the Studebaker's hub and make a extended nut that would pass thru the center of the Studebaker's hub and engage onto the GM's threads which protrudes thru the GM hub. I drilled a hole that aligns up with the GM's horn wire and it will attach with the Lark's original horn ring. I hope this is clear. Here are some pictures. #1 complete tilt wheel GM column with Lark wheel attached, #2 top of Lark wheel attached to adapter and extended nut, #3 bottom of adapter bolted onto Lark wheel. This will all fit nicely in my '53 Conestoga wagon but still retain the stock look.
    1966 Daytona (The First One)
    1950 Champion Convertible
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
    1957 Thunderbird

Champion Member
    I bought it at a swap meet, no particular application. It's a basic GM tilt wheel mechanism with a new steel tube. The nice thing about getting an old or new aftermarket column is that any length column will work.