Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steering: What Is The Spline/Size On A Hawk Steering Wheel Shaft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Steering: What Is The Spline/Size On A Hawk Steering Wheel Shaft?

Question:

What is the size/spline on a 1959 Hawk steering wheel shaft?

I see some awesome deals on tilt columns, but need to know the spec to order something and keep the original wheel.

Any help out there?

Thanks ahead of time.....
    Last edited by DEEPNHOCK; 02-11-2018, 05:24 PM.
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

I can't remember the size, but the 56 up in all Studebaker cars, I think, went to a common size. below is the odd big size?

Comment

The change to a smaller diameter occurred with the 57 models. 56 still had the older/larger diameter.

That's a nit-pick that still does not answer deepnhock's question.

Fortunately there is a steering box in my pile of stuff. The main shaft OD is .755 and the splines OD is .690.
      Last edited by RadioRoy; 02-11-2018, 08:07 PM.
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Jeff, if you find something that will work let me know who you got it from. I've been looking for spline adapters to use my '64 Hawk wheel on an '87 GM (Monte Carlo) steering column. There doesn't seem to be any manufacturers that make the type of spline I need. Thanks, Bill.

Comment

Will do Bill...
          I know it's a long shot, but... "You never get something you neve ask for"

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

It's the same size and spline as an Avanti, if that helps any. Sometimes Grant, will list Avanti adapters.
            Bez Auto Alchemy
            573-318-8948
            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I have the original steering shaft out of my daughter's 59 Silver Hawk. I can measure it later today if I can find it??

treblig

Comment

Think he's going the other way, keeping the original steering wheel adapted to a newer tilt column.
                Check with a machine shop to see what they can do. Either build an adapter or re-spline the wheel if a column with the correct splines is not available.
                Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                It's the same size and spline as an Avanti, if that helps any. Sometimes Grant, will list Avanti adapters.
                sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                1950 Champion Convertible
                1950 Champion 4Dr
                1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Here's the original '59 Silver Hawk steering shaft off my daughter's car. Looks like 11/16 or .687" diameter on the spline. I counted 42 splines, maybe someone can verify my count??

TrebligClick image for larger version

Name:	DSC07742.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	1719525

Comment

Originally posted by thunderations View Post
                    Think he's going the other way, keeping the original steering wheel adapted to a newer tilt column.
                    Check with a machine shop to see what they can do. Either build an adapter or re-spline the wheel if a column with the correct splines is not available.
                    My point being...if Grant lists an adapter for Avanti, then maybe he can cross reference that part number to other columns. Or better yet, they just might give dimensions.
                    Bez Auto Alchemy
                    573-318-8948
                    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Thanks all for the replies...
                      All good info. Gives me a starting point to search and hopefully fine a solution...
                      Thanks!

Jeff

Comment

I believe that the spline count is one spline off when I tried to put a Studebaker wheel on a GM tilt column in my '53 wagon. When I installed epas to my GM tilt column I had to cut the splined hub out of an old GM steering wheel and make an aluminum adapter that would bolt to the Studebaker steering wheel. It helped that I needed to add a little length to the column to extend it further back toward the seat. I will take a picture and see if I can figure out how to post it.

Comment

Studebaker wheel to GM column

Here is what I had to do to connect the GM column to the Lark steering wheel. I cut the hub out of a old GM steering wheel (turned it round in my lathe) and essentially aligned it up to the hub on the Studebaker wheel and bolted the two together with a chunk of aluminum bolted on the bottom of the GM hub that filled the gap between the column and the steering wheel. I had to bore out the splines in the Studebaker's hub and make a extended nut that would pass thru the center of the Studebaker's hub and engage onto the GM's threads which protrudes thru the GM hub. I drilled a hole that aligns up with the GM's horn wire and it will attach with the Lark's original horn ring. I hope this is clear. Here are some pictures. #1 complete tilt wheel GM column with Lark wheel attached, #2 top of Lark wheel attached to adapter and extended nut, #3 bottom of adapter bolted onto Lark wheel. This will all fit nicely in my '53 Conestoga wagon but still retain the stock look.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Having mucked around with this the last few months I found the Avanti steering wheel fits on Ford splined shafts but not GM or Holden in my case.
                            The splines of the Holden were more course ( lower number count ) than the Falcon ( higher number count).
                            I was checking on 70's Aussie Ford Falcons which should be the same as the 60's Mustangs.
                            I hope that helps.
                            pb

Comment

X2 on Ford splines. I used my '73 Torino wheel on my '59 Lark for a while.
                              Skinny___'59 Lark VIII Regal____'60 Lark Marshal___

Comment

Working...
                              X