Accessory vs Ignition , '63 Avanti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Accessory vs Ignition , '63 Avanti

As best as I can tell, electrically the only difference between the ignition position and the accessory position is simply the ignition circuit. Is that correct, or am I mis-reading the diagram?

I have a dead short in ignition position based on the ammeter, no starter, but
    in accessory, I see a minor discharge and everything works. The only electrical changes since I last started it was a rebuilt distributor, new plug wires, and fix a ground to the starter solenoid. and a ground to the right side horn which was also broken. The old "ground" to the solenoid was a piece of 14 gauge single strand wire rigged from the solenoid to the brake booster. Since the old ground was broken so far up into the harness, I ran a new stranded ground from the solenoid to the regulator base. Even removing the new ground and connecting the solenoid base to the batter ground gives the same issue. I'm thinking digging deeply into the ignition circuit only. What say the experts here?
    Ron Dame
    '63 Champ

A defect in the switch itself or a short/ground in the distributor. The later would be on the top of my list to check out.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Start by checking for a pinched wire around the distributor. maybe the shielding? Then disconnect the ballast resistor on the positive side. Still a problem work from there to distributor.

Comment

So I am correct that the only thing the ignition position adds is ignition? Thanks!
        Ron Dame
        '63 Champ

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Dame View Post
          So I am correct that the only thing the ignition position adds is ignition? Thanks!
          The ignition position completes the circuits for everything except the starter solenoid.
          Jerry Forrester
          Forrester's Chrome
          Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

I did not state that well, what I meant, was besides everything that works on accessory, the only thing extra the igntion position adds is the ignition circuit, correct?
            Ron Dame
            '63 Champ

Comment

Ron Dane;
              I believe there are two other electric items that are also energized in the run position on an Avanti. The power windows relay and the cut out in alternators regulator.
              Ron

Comment

I don't have power windows,so that is easy. I'll check the regulator and check the ignition circuit again this evening. Thanks!
                Ron Dame
                '63 Champ

Comment

It's somewhere in the charging system. I didn't get far last night, but when I removed the wire from the ignition to the regulator, the car started. Of course it isn't charging with that removed. I took the top off of the regulator, it's not burnt inside and both relays moved, so I'm leaning towards either a short in the wiring or an alternator that's gone wrong. Any more ideas would be appreciated.
                  Ron Dame
                  '63 Champ

Comment

Working...
                  X