Fair Market Value

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fair Market Value

It seems as though the fair market value for certain Studebaker Hawks specifically the 57 Golden Hawk and the 62-64 Gran Turismo Hawks have outperformed the 58-61 Hawk models. Considering the rarity of the 1961 Hawk with buckets and factory 4 speed (last finned Hawk) why do you suppose this is. I have seen here lately 61s selling for a very low price even if in good condition. I also noticed that the 53-55 coupes doing well. Its hard to justify certain restoration projects due to the current market. Whats your thoughts on this and the future for Studebaker collectors ?

Styles and interests come and go. It seems that right now, fins in general are out of style (Golden Hawks are high for the rest of the car and the name, not because of the fins).

You should go into restoration and its related cost based on what you want and not a monetary return. Do not restore Studebakers, stick with Chevrolets, if you want a chance at making a buck on a true restoration.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Studegary,

I never thought or realized that fins were out of style. You sure couldn't tell it by the price their asking for 57 Chevys, WOW! I chose the 61 Studebaker for the fins and the 289 engine,
      bucket seats and 4 speed transmission and yes the rarity for this model. I have always liked Hawks starting with the 1957 Silver Hawk I drove back in 1964. My intention was never to restore and resell only to restore and enjoy the ride. Its also nice if it happens to appreciate in value along the way. Just wondering why some are and others aren't.

Comment

I am building a 1960 Hawk, and enjoy the look of the fins as well. I think that as the cost of engine work, bodywork, paint, upholstery, etc, continues to climb, that restored cars will go up in value with them. Sometimes when you watch automobile auctions, certain models will bring more than you think they could ever be worth, and then some will be reasonably priced, and the auctioneer will state " you couldn't begin to build this car, for that kind of money". I guess it's all personal preference, and who is in the room, on the day of the sale. I would prefer the bucket seats, and four speed that 61 Hawks had, but my car was local here, and needed to be rescued.
        Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

All hobbies and recreation tend to be expensive especially automobiles. Glad to hear that you are restoring the 1960 Hawk. From what I can ascertain by the time you purchase a candidate and do the bodywork, paint, interior, re-chrome and engine work your probably looking at $30K easily if not more. Its far cheaper to buy one that someone has already restored and has grown tired of. It takes a lot of patience to wait for the right car at the right price to come along. I know several car buffs who have spent twice as much on their cars as they got for them when sold. That next buyer got the bargain. I am trying to keep the cost of my 61 Hawk restoration within reason and hopefully be able to enjoy it even if its not 100% restored or perfect.

Comment

I agree with you 100%. The key words are "be able to enjoy it" . Whether it is a 100 point car, or not, doesn't really matter to me either. I didn't spare much cost on the engine and drivetrain, because I wanted it to be dependable, but I am doing my own paint and bodywork, and will likely end up doing the upholstery. Neither will be show quality, but should make for a comfortable driver that people will still enjoy at a car show. Stuhawk, good luck with your project. Hope you make it to Tacoma this year.
            Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Fair market value? Really? This is not a thing. There is a varying degree of what people are willing to pay, but it is based upon condition of the vehicle, and LOCATION of the buyer. You can ask more in an affluent environment than in a slum. A Pebble Beach auction will bring more than a OKC auction. Hagerty publishes a price guide based upon AVERAGES of the last years auctions. I'd go with that.
              Bez Auto Alchemy
              573-318-8948
              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by tsenecal View Post
                I agree with you 100%. The key words are "be able to enjoy it" . Whether it is a 100 point car, or not, doesn't really matter to me either. I didn't spare much cost on the engine and drivetrain, because I wanted it to be dependable, but I am doing my own paint and bodywork, and will likely end up doing the upholstery. Neither will be show quality, but should make for a comfortable driver that people will still enjoy at a car show. Stuhawk, good luck with your project. Hope you make it to Tacoma this year.
                In my opinion a comfortable dependable driver is #1. The modern fuel injected cars we all drive are so dependable that we seldom give the trip distance a second thought. Were spoiled. Now we expect our 50-60 year old automobiles to be the same but sadly their not. I love the old Styling when it was easy to tell what was coming down the road at you to now they all look like a modified wedge shape and no chrome. The once pride of ownership is going by the wayside.
                As far as high performance goes the good old days are NOW. What once was high horsepower is common place even amongst grocery getters. Cars with 500, 700 or even higher HP are factory produced with suspension that would rival most anything from the past. Advice for the younger generation is to get em while the gettins good.
                When you did your motor work how did you handle the front crank seal leaking problem ? I saw a clip on the net from Pete's Garage and I did my seal the same as he did except i opted to drill 2 small drain holes in the metal retainer 1 on each side close to the bottom on the inside. So far it has helped, not cured/stopped all leaks. A rubber seal would be probably a better fix. Maybe next time. Good luck on your 60 Hawk and maybe you will make it to the Studebaker Swap meet in Indiana this year. I would like to go but it depends on the Ol Studes dependability track record this spring.

Comment

With the changing landscape of automobiles and the generational shift of young people who don't care much about new cars and driving, let alone old cars, I would expect in the next 10-20 years to see old car values steeply decline. For my own involvement, it just puts a finer point on enjoying the old cars for the value they give me now.
                  Dean Seavers
                  Sacramento, CA

Comment

I have seen here lately 61s selling for a very low price even if in good condition. I also noticed that the 53-55 coupes doing well. Its hard to justify certain restoration projects due to the current market. Whats your thoughts on this and the future for Studebaker collectors ?
                    FWIW, I've been restoring and modifying Studebakers for nearly sixty years now. It's always been pretty much impossible to buy a Studebaker at retail, pay shop rate to have a that Studebaker restored and then sell it at a profit. (Yes, there are those who find steal deals, those with their own parts hoard and who can do their own work, but you know who you are and that's not what is being discussed here.) Why should money spent on a hobby car should be viewed any differently than money spent on a luxury golfing vacation or a cruise; it's gone and hope you enjoyed it.

Fair Market Value is determined by the buyers on any given day. The premium is usually paid for the highest-optioned-top-of-the-line models and only for certain years. Just as a '57 Chevrolet Bel Air hardtop with fuel injection will sell at several multiples of a six-cylinder 4-door sedan; they cost pretty much the same to restore. The few Studes which have attracted a following, '56-58 Golden Hawks, '58 Packard Hawks, R2 GT Hawks, R2/R3 Avanti, sell at many multiples of '58-66 4-doors.

JMHO as to why the '61 Hawk is a lesser being than a '56-58 GH? They were flashy hardtops with a lot of chrome and a lot of unique performance and some interesting two-tone paint options. The '61 is a conservative coupe with the same engine available in the Larks; just not the same bling as the flashy predecessors.

jack vines
                    PackardV8

Comment

I find the early Hawks to be landmark designs. The later finned ones simply followed the current fashion of the automotive day. Tacking fins on does not result in a landmark design in my mind. Perhaps this view has also caught up with some collectors and lessened the desirability of such cars. Still, it's what one likes that really counts rather than how much it's worth.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0443.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	1719510Its been my experience that truly antique cars hold their value or appreciate more than classics. Of my 3 car collection the 32 Ford pickup seems to always be worth more than the others.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Well said Jack, comparing classic cars to any other extravagance. People convert their income to any number of things, such as vacations, boats, motorbikes, camp trailers, etc, because they justify the cost, in the amount of enjoyment they provide.

Comment

I would just like to say thanks to all you guys for all your input and info. I know that their exists a wealth of knowledge on the SDC forum in regards to all things Studebaker and the members willingness to share this info and knowledge with all involved. That impels me to call out one of your current members who has gone out of their way in helping me with the restoration and repair of my 61 Hawk and selflessly gave up his time and effort to help in any way he could even going so far as procuring or running down parts that I needed and even going after the parts and then shipping them to me at no extra charge. As a footnote he lives in Texas and I live in Illinois. I can't think of a better Studebaker Representative/Spokesperson than Mr. Nick Dynis. I owe Nick a debt of gratitude for all his help, knowledge and wisdom when it comes to Studebaker as well as his experience as an owner/restorer. On top of this Nick and I have never personally met, hopefully this year if he gets to go to Indiana to the Studebaker Museum as well as the Swap Meet. Studebaker people are special people. Their willingness to lend a hand in anyway they can, well, it speaks volumes about their character, honesty, and brotherhood. I for one am proud to be a part of this group. Thank You All and especially to you Nick.

Comment

Only a few studes are collectible. Actually, the same is true of most brand x. For example. A 57 2 door belair is worth twice as much as a 210. Go with a 4 door and the value takes another precipitous drop. Many of the 56,57,58 fords or mopars don't do much better than their stude counterparts.

As others have said, it is rare to make any money restoring an old car.
                              78 Avanti RQB 2792
                              64 Avanti R1 R5408
                              63 Avanti R1 R4551
                              63 Avanti R1 R2281
                              62 GT Hawk V15949
                              56 GH 6032504
                              56 GH 6032588
                              55 Speedster 7160047
                              55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Working...
                              X