Thread: Avanti coilovers

Speedster Member

Avanti coilovers

I saw a 63 Avanti for sale in Los Angeles with "adjustable Koni coilovers" in the front. Anybody have any idea what their specs were? And has anyone shaved down lower control arm rubber bumper to keep shorter springed cars from bottoming out?

Thanks

President Member
    Where is this car or the ad? I live in the LA area, would be interested in seeing what they've done.

Could you paste a link to the ad here?

Thanks, Ken

To do coil-overs in the front would be a job without a complete redesign since nothing there was ever intended to mount them and take the spring-loads, except where the springs normally are. In the back... of mine, I've four Aldan coil-overs, but I cheated and used an XKE IRS and a new cross-member pitching all the stock stuff.

Speedster Member
    The coilover Avanti was a Red 1963 lot 133 of the Mecum Auctions in LA Feb 17, 2017. And yes, the bottom of his coilover might have been attached to the stock shock support of the Avanti's lower control arm, but the top would seem to need some welding work at the frame and/or cross member.

Silver Hawk Member
    Back in the 60's I had coil over shocks on the front of my 59 Lark. Memory seems to tell me they were direct fit Delco shocks. Took them off due to the lower cross pin breaking on one side.
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Silver Hawk Member
    I don't see why you would need any outrageous welding to support the coilovers. The stock shocks fit within the current coil springs. And the shock mounts are directly above the coil mounts. Secondly, the upper shock mount is part of the cross member where the upper control arm is mounted. It must be stout enough to handle the upper control arm, so an upper coilover mount should not need much added support.
    The lower is pretty much the same. The lower coil mount is integral to the lower control arm, so a round plate welded to the lower control arm would certainly give enough added strength to support the front weight.
    I have a friend who does air ride systems almost every week. He uses the stock suspension parts and adds what is needed to hold the airbags. Its still carrying the weight of the car, either way, so I can't see wherein lies the problem.
    Or am I missing something????
    sals54