Thread: Space Race kiddies?

Space Race kiddies?

I had a bit of a ping of nostalgia for being a toddler during the John Glenn era. Which got me wondering how many here were grade school age or younger during the Space Race from Sputnik to Apollo or Skylab?
    1963 Champ "Daisy Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
    1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
    1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case, next project after the Hawk
    1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
    1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DougHolverson View Post
    I had a bit of a ping of nostalgia for being a toddler during the John Glenn era. Which got me wondering how many here were grade school age or younger during the Space Race from Sputnik to Apollo or Skylab?
    I was on the other end of the spectrum. I was in college at the time of Sputnik.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Grew up in the 60's and 70's, so I was right in that mix.
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

I remember Spuntik.
    It was Echo that scared the crap out of us lil' kids...because you could see it...
    Martians....
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

President Member
    First Grade in 1969. Off for the Summer during July that year, but likely witnessed the first time a TV set was rolled into a classroom later that year for some of the following Apollo landings. Kept the Lunar Rover that came with our Tang when it was found in prep for my Dad's estate sale.

I was 9 years old when Sputnik was launched. From my Dad's reaction to it it seemed like a big deal. I remember having a hard time believing that somebody could actually put something up in space like that. I remember when the U.S. finally got into the space race that when a launch took place it was on TV and people cheered when any space craft was launched. That said I don't think it took long before it became so routine that people did not pay that much attention to the latest space craft being launched.
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

President Member
    We got married on the day that Russia launched Sputnik, October 4th 1957. We were on our way to New York for our honeymoon when the announcement of the launch came over the car radio. Thelma commented that it was very nice of the Russians to send up Sputnik in recognition of our wedding.

Stu Chapman

I would have been 8 or 9 when Sputnik went up. I remember it well. I believed for sure we would be having a nuculear war with Russia soon.
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Speedster Member
    Waking up before dawn and planting ourselves in front of the B&W TV, awaiting the magnificent launch from Cape Canaveral. Spent many mornings just that way in 1959-60.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Klinger View Post
    Waking up before dawn and planting ourselves in front of the B&W TV, awaiting the magnificent launch from Cape Canaveral. Spent many mornings just that way in 1959-60.
    I remember that a couple of times. In the Mountain time zone, it was 5:30 AM local time, before Alberta went to DST.

Craig