Ford 9 inch Vendor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: Ford 9 inch Vendor

Does anyone know a vendor with a direct replacement Ford 9" for the Lark and C/K? I would like to avoid the drawing approval process.

JK

The only Ford 9" I can think of that is a very close replacement width is the 57-59 Ford Ranchero. Maybe the wagon also? Maybe I don't have those years exactly, but it doesn't matter since they're rare as hen's teeth.
    But why not just go get one out of a Ford truck and have it shortened. I had mine done like that decades ago. Just find a local hot rodder who can point you to someone local who can do it for you. Lot's of guys do that sort of work. Its not that hard if you have the machines.
    sals54

Comment

You will most likely need to have a 9" Ford modified to fit. You might try an 8.8 or and 8" from a Ranger or Explorer. Later ones had disc brakes too. Somewhere I read that you use a 4WD rear with the offset differential and shorten the long tube and use another stock short axle, making the modification a little less expensive.
      Otherwise find a shop in your area and let them do the design and modification on a 9". All you need to do is supply the credit card.
      sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
      1950 Champion Convertible
      1950 Champion 4Dr
      1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
      1957 Thunderbird

Comment

The place for CASO's is Speedway. They have a Currie 9", 56" wide, with axles for about $600. Which is about $200 less than I can buy them from Currie and I have known the old man since the early 60's. All you have to do is weld on the locating saddles which cost about $20 at your nearest automotive swap meet. Or a few bucks more from Speedway. Weld them on at 41" apart.

Comment

Isn't there a narrow 9" available from the Lincoln Versailles? Seems it may come with disc brakes too.
          Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Yes, but like any desirable item from the late 70's, getting extremely rare and still not as narrow as needed for a Studebaker. We used them in Mustangs to get the 9" and disc brakes, but that was in the mid 80's when they were still available in junk yards.
            Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
            Isn't there a narrow 9" available from the Lincoln Versailles? Seems it may come with disc brakes too.
            sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
            1950 Champion Convertible
            1950 Champion 4Dr
            1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
            1957 Thunderbird

Comment

You guys are missing the point. I am aware of what can be made to fit and I am even capable of doing the modification. By the time I find a suitable assembly, cart it home, disassemble, clean, cut of the spring pads and ends, machine, buy new "late Ford big ends" & perches, weld and straighten it is more cost effective to buy a housing made to order. Art Morrison, Currie, Moser, etc. I thought if someone else had ordered one I could suck up some information. I have a housing from Art Morrison for the '53 project but it is set up for a four-link and the Lark will be on leafs. I will send an RFQ to Moser and see what they are compared to AM. AM is in Washington state and Moser is in Indiana so if the cost is close the shipping should be less. Thanks for the help and ideas.

JK

Comment

I had one from a 55-57 T-bird which if I recall, measured perfectly. I know they are hard to find but maybe try someone like Amos Minter T-Birds as you never know.
                Good Luck,
                Bill

Comment

Actually, all Fords from 1957-59 had the same width rear at 57". The only difference was the bearings and brakes on the Bird and wagon.

Comment

Moser Engineering in Indiana can make what ever size 9 inch you want .
                    Randy Wilkin
                    1946 M5 Streetrod
                    Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

Originally posted by 3x2stude View Post
                      You guys are missing the point. I am aware of what can be made to fit and I am even capable of doing the modification. By the time I find a suitable assembly, cart it home, disassemble, clean, cut of the spring pads and ends, machine, buy new "late Ford big ends" & perches, weld and straighten it is more cost effective to buy a housing made to order. Art Morrison, Currie, Moser, etc. I thought if someone else had ordered one I could suck up some information. I have a housing from Art Morrison for the '53 project but it is set up for a four-link and the Lark will be on leafs. I will send an RFQ to Moser and see what they are compared to AM. AM is in Washington state and Moser is in Indiana so if the cost is close the shipping should be less. Thanks for the help and ideas.

JK
                      I have copies of factory rear end drawings so if you want pertinent dimensions, I can supply them.
                      james r pepper

Comment

Looks like the 56 inch Currie at Speedway is up to $900 now: https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Curri...-Kit,8336.html

They have an in house 9 inch housing and axles for $700: https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speed...th,297525.html

at least shipping is free.

And with either, you still would need to buy the third member, brake set up and weld on axle perches.

Comment

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
                          1977/80 Versailles have a 9" with disc brakes, as do 1975/78 Granada/Monarch w/351W

1957/59 Ford passenger car 9's are the same width, the flanged axle shafts are right & left specific.

F100/150 9 axle shafts are the same right and left, but are specific to certain years.

1957/67 shafts have 28 splines, 1968/79 have either 28 or 31 splines, 1980/86 have 31 splines.

The 8.8" integral was introduced in 1983, but the 9 was also available thru 1986. No F100's after 1983.

Comment

Theres a 9" for sale on the Seattle craigslist for the early narrow 57 9". Its just the housing but axles can be cut and pumpkins can be found. I almost want to tell yoy to try a 8". Theyre rated for 300 hp and are as good as the 9". They weigh a lot less. And they will be similar in size due to being used on Falcons, Mustangs, and Comets rather full size stuff like Galaxies. I have one on my 65 Ranchero 200l6, works nicely.

I didnt see what engine youre running but even if its a stock 259 or 289 or 170 l6, it should be fine

Good luck,
                            Ryan

Comment

Ford 9" vendor

Jon, not to confuse things but....I used Johns Industries / Caspian MI for my Austin Healey project. He has been doing 9 inchers for years, he may already have the data and-or add Jims dimensional data for your needs. He is near us (in the UP by Iron Mtn.) and is reasonable on pricing, you can go from basics to full wild....just add money. Regards Sherm / Green Bay

Comment

Working...
                              X