Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Quick Steering Arms

  1. #1
    President Member 345 DeSoto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Skaneateles, NY/Port St.Lucie, FL
    Posts
    986

    Quick Steering Arms

    I'm going to be doing some modifications to the Steering System in my '56 Hawk. I will be installing an EPAS (Electrically Power Assisted System), and shortening the front steering bell crank to shorten the number of turns lock-to-lock. I'd like to install a set of quick steering arms (Avanti) to further shorten steering time (Studebaker International part #800335). Any feedback on the operation of the short steering arms? I'd like to reduce steering effort, and turns lock-to-lock as much as possible, but I DON'T want to screw up the steering system or do anything dangerous. Has anyone else done something like this? It' just getting more and more difficult to drive a Manually Steered car. Any advice is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks...in advance...

  2. #2
    President Member BRUCESTUDE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Yakima, Wa, .
    Posts
    1,418
    No advice, but please post a photo or 2 when finished...sounds like a cool set up.

  3. #3
    President Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    1,253
    Are you still using the original Ross TA/TL type box?

  4. #4
    President Member Gunslinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Frederick, Maryland, USA.
    Posts
    4,020
    Be careful with the quick steering arms. They're intended for the Avantis with the forklift steering box to return the handling back to pre-forklift standards. Putting them on a car with the standard steering box is certainly doable but makes the car more "darty" in its steering...the difference in steering turns is minor for the suddenness of the steering that it gives. If you replace the steering wheel with one of smaller diameter the "dartiness" is even more pronounced.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

  5. #5
    President Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Great Falls VA
    Posts
    3,138
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    Be careful with the quick steering arms. They're intended for the Avantis with the forklift steering box to return the handling back to pre-forklift standards. Putting them on a car with the standard steering box is certainly doable but makes the car more "darty" in its steering...the difference in steering turns is minor for the suddenness of the steering that it gives. If you replace the steering wheel with one of smaller diameter the "dartiness" is even more pronounced.
    What Gunslinger said times 2...... You DON'T want these installed ..........and sneeze while doing 70...
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

  6. #6
    President Member 345 DeSoto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Skaneateles, NY/Port St.Lucie, FL
    Posts
    986
    Quote Originally Posted by stude dude View Post
    Are you still using the original Ross TA/TL type box?
    Yes, I will be using the original Ross box...

  7. #7
    President Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Gilbert, AZ, USA.
    Posts
    854
    installed a set on a '61 hawk, pwr steering car. Fresh tight front end including steering gear rebuild. Car drives much nicer then stock. No dartiness noted. Trust me I know what "dartiness" means. I had a 94 9C1 Caprice, lowered with coil spring change. That car was a blast to drive, poor mans corvett comes to mind. However with big wide tires and the lowered stance it was a handful in the dartiness compartment.

    Quote Originally Posted by 345 DeSoto View Post
    Yes, I will be using the original Ross box...

    Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
    53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
    57 SH (project)
    60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

  8. #8
    President Member Jerry Forrester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Douglasville, Georgia, USA.
    Posts
    2,953
    Quote Originally Posted by 345 DeSoto View Post
    I'm going to be doing some modifications to the Steering System in my '56 Hawk. I will be installing an EPAS (Electrically Power Assisted System), and shortening the front steering bell crank to shorten the number of turns lock-to-lock. I'd like to install a set of quick steering arms (Avanti) to further shorten steering time (Studebaker International part #800335). Any feedback on the operation of the short steering arms? I'd like to reduce steering effort, and turns lock-to-lock as much as possible, but I DON'T want to screw up the steering system or do anything dangerous. Has anyone else done something like this? It' just getting more and more difficult to drive a Manually Steered car. Any advice is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks...in advance...
    To quicken the steering on Buttercup, I first thought I would take 2" out of the bell crank arm that the drag link attaches to. I decided to take only 1" to start with and am glad I did. Dropped it from over 5 turns lock to lock to a tad over 3.
    Don't try the quick arms until after the car is finished. You can always add them later if you see the need.
    Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

  9. #9
    Speedster Member whitehawk759's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    147
    I also installed a set of quick steering arms on my 61 Hawk with all the "fresh" parts that Rusty Nut put on, including a fresh steering box. At first I had some " dartiness" but after some fine tuning of the suspension the car steers great. Very tight and quick, although you do have to be aware of where you are on the road.
    Don Watson
    61 Hawk

  10. #10
    President Member Xcalibur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    919
    I've used the shortened arms on several Avantis and like them. They do exactly as physics say they will.

    As for shortening a center-pivot arm you might contact the Prestons at Camelot Motors/Excalibur and see if there is any chance they might still have an arm from/for a Series1 X since the Stevens used a shortened center-arm to the same effect. Of course, they mounted the bell-crank upside-down but I don't think that would matter, as I recall without looking. It's a long-shot they'd still have one, at best, but...

    p.s.: I don't know what ratio the box is that was used on my X but ironically it gives the same 2.5 turns lock-to-lock as the short steering-arms give on my '63 Avanti with the p/s ("quick" manual) box.

  11. #11
    Speedster Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Crib Point, Victoria, Australia.
    Posts
    151
    The bell crank is easily shortened. I shortened this one along with shortened arms and a 3turns lock to lock recirc ball PS box.
    61_hawk_bellcrank.jpg

  12. #12
    Speedster Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    southern ca
    Posts
    303
    Think your pic is flipped the wrong way

  13. #13
    President Member bensherb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Tracy / Goleta Ca.
    Posts
    535
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy View Post
    Think your pic is flipped the wrong way
    It could be right hand drive.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •