Re-core services/ New radiators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: Re-core services/ New radiators

So far the Avanti radiator does not leak, but it is clear the fan hit it and several tubes were soldered off. By summer I bet it starts overheating.
    Is there a preferred re-core service, or does someone know of a good replacement?
    Ron Dame
    '63 Champ

Originally posted by Ron Dame View Post
    Is there a preferred re-core service, ...?
    Preferred service is going to depend on the experience of shops within any geographic area. For recommendations in the North Carolina area you would be well advised to inquire of members in your local chapter of SDC.
    In central Pennsylvania I highly recommend Union Radiator on Lycoming Creek Road in Williamsport, PA.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Ask around. My local NAPA is an old-school auto parts store so when I needed my Jeep re-cored I asked them. Turns out a guy not 10 miles from my house could do it. Expect to pay though.

Comment

Find the oldest and most disorganized radiator shop in the area. It will usually be run by a guy that should have retired 20 years ago and he will let you know up front that aluminum is crap and that only old brass radiators are worth working on. He will thank you for bringing in an old quality radiator to have repaired/re-cored That's your guy. He won't be cheap, but will be competitive with the fancy new shops in the industrial strip center with the neon advertising signs and polished tile floors.
        sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
        1950 Champion Convertible
        1950 Champion 4Dr
        1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
        1957 Thunderbird

Comment

For starters - http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...or-Replacement

One more - http://www.studebaker-info.org/Tech/SOB/sdc46421m.html

Google will get more.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by thunderations View Post
            Find the oldest and most disorganized radiator shop in the area. It will usually be run by a guy that should have retired 20 years ago and he will let you know up front that aluminum is crap and that only old brass radiators are worth working on. He will thank you for bringing in an old quality radiator to have repaired/re-cored That's your guy. He won't be cheap, but will be competitive with the fancy new shops in the industrial strip center with the neon advertising signs and polished tile floors.
            You perfectly described the shop that did my last radiator.

Comment

A dying art for sure. Kinda like getting brakes and clutches relined.

There is a guy local to me who still does this. His father started the business in the 50's. My guy is about my age (65) and i fear that once he quits there will be no one around here to do it.

He had to have

Comment

Originally posted by thunderations View Post
                You hit the nail on the head. The local old time shop closed when the guy doing the repairs retired, a new company took over. I brought a Lark radiator to the new shop to have a small leak repaired. When I called a week later the young man doing the work explained that the radiator was no good because when he heated it all the solder ran out (in other words he didn't know what he was doing and over heated it). He also said the bill was $100. I never went back to pick up what was left of the radiator or pay the bill. They likely sold it for scrap. Lesson learned.
                Dan Peterson
                Montpelier, VT
                1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
                1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

The shop that does my radiators has been in business in the same location since 1946 and the shop looks like it. They are the go to shop for repairs to older style radiators. They re cored the radiator in my 1962 Hawk in the late 70"s and it is still doing what is is supposed to do. The guys in the newer shops are mostly parts changers and don't have any idea on how to properly repair an old brass/copper radiator. Bud

Comment

My local guy is a bigger curmudgeon than me. Been in business since Moses needed a re-core. He looked at mine and said "Nope". Nothing else. Just "nope". The next guy is 30 miles away and I know nothing about him
                    Ron Dame
                    '63 Champ

Comment

When you find the right shop, ask for a core with increased fins per inch. That increases swept area and provides better cooling.
                      Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

I think that a lot of the older radiator shops have closed down due to stricter regulations on the chemicals, used in the process of cleaning and repairing brass and copper radiators. I agree with an earlier comment on aluminum radiators. I read an article a while back, comparing copper/brass, to the aluminum counterpart, and they claimed that the copper was more efficient.
                        Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Copper is supposed to be more efficient at heat transfer and aluminum is lighter and takes weight off the front end...which is more important?
                          Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Thoughts on Aluminum vs Copper radiators. http://www.cgj.com/2013/07/16/alumin...inal-thoughts/

Probably worth mentioning that there are currently a lot of big HP OEM as well as most of today's ordinary cars running Aluminum radiators.

Comment

I've had Rowdy in Slayton MN recore radiators and he does a great job. It is not cheap as copper is expensive and it does take a bit of labor. I have put Al radiators in 2 cars (Jeep CJ to sb Chev conversion) They go in fairly well but need a little trimming of the shroud as well as some percussive adjustment and added baffle.

Comment

Working...
                              X