Thread: Tacoma meet itinerary

Speedster Member

Tacoma meet itinerary

Has any details of the meet itinerary been published yet? I want to make plans for the meet and would like events and times.
    james r pepper

Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander
    Regional Manager
    British Columbia

http://studebaker.ca/ - BC Coastal Chapter
    www.bcsouthintsdc.ca - BC Southern Interior Chapter
    https://www.facebook.com/VI.STUDEBAKER/ - Vancouver Island Chapter

Any Tacoma area viewers that can tell how far of a walk it is from the La Quinta to the Tacoma Dome? Looking on Google Maps doesn't really help me. If we have to drive.. what parking is available... for what price?

Deaf Mute: The distance is about 1.3 miles via E25th St., or about 30min walk. There are a lack of good sidewalks along other routes which are slightly shorter. Sorry I don't know any of the particulars regarding parking.
    Last edited by fatboylust; 02-09-2018 at 03:28 PM.

Thanks for the information. I can walk it, but I know several SDC members that would have a difficult time.

I'll be darned if I can find it now, but I am almost certain I read somewhere that there would be shuttles running between the three hotels.

Am I nuts, or does anyone else remember that?

Wait, maybe don't answer that first question....
    StudeDave '57
    US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
    SDC Member since 1985

past President
    Whatcom County Chapter SDC
    San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
    San Diego Chapter SDC
    North Florida Chapter SDC

I have spent too much time searching through the event posting,and I cannot find any clues about what it costs to enter, display a car, etc. Is this one of those things where if you have to ask, you probably can't afford it? I would also have to join SDC, and I don't know what that would cost either. I would be willing to drive down to Tacoma and spend the day there so people could see my car, but I have no interest in having it judged - I am not naive enough to think a Studebaker with a Japanese drive train would win a trophy at any car show, and certainly not this one.
    Trying to build a 48 Studebaker for the 21st century.
    See more of my projects at stilettoman.info

48skyliner there is a judging class for Studebakers not powered by Studebaker, there is a $10 fee to display your car in the "Display Area" for the duration of the meet. As I understand your permitted to take the car out and about at your discretion. There is an open car show as well on Saturday Sept 1st from 9Am to 2PM with setup from 8AM to 9AM. I don't believe there is a fee for the Open Car Show.

I recall that the work on your car is exceptional and I look forward to the chance to see it. The first attached link is the registration form with the fees ect. The second is the agenda. Hope this helps.

http://www.sdcmeet.com/Content/Docs/...ation_Form.pdf
    http://www.sdcmeet.com/Home/Agenda

48 Skyliner- please drop by at least for the day.

Speedster Member
    The walk is short enough that we will NOT be providing shuttle service to it.

Speedster Member
    Dave, I believe you may be mistaken, as there is no plan, right now, to transport registrants to/from the hotels.

Quote Originally Posted by studeguy54 View Post
    The walk is short enough that we will NOT be providing shuttle service to it.
    If we are talking 1.3 miles, I'm pretty sure there are a lot of our members who would have a difficult time with that short of a walk. Just my 2 cents.

Speedster Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 48skyliner View Post
    I have spent too much time searching through the event posting,and I cannot find any clues about what it costs to enter, display a car, etc. Is this one of those things where if you have to ask, you probably can't afford it? I would also have to join SDC, and I don't know what that would cost either. I would be willing to drive down to Tacoma and spend the day there so people could see my car, but I have no interest in having it judged - I am not naive enough to think a Studebaker with a Japanese drive train would win a trophy at any car show, and certainly not this one.
    48skyliner, the meet information is now available at www.sdcmeet.com. Registration fees, schedule, times, events are available there. Membership in SDC is available at http://studebakerdriversclub.com/join.asp, and well worth the $24 first year membership in SDC.

Yes, you CAN afford it, and we welcome your attendance at the meet. If your Studebaker does, indeed have a Japanese driveline, please, bring it to the meet and display your craftsmanship.

President Member
    1.3 miles, no shuttle, and the average SDC people are how old??? Whatsmatta wit youse guys???

President Member
    Given the aging SDC population, the IM planners might want to rethink not providing a shuttle. 1.3 miles is not issue for me, but it will be for many.
    [SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by plwindish View Post
    Given the aging SDC population, the IM planners might want to rethink not providing a shuttle. 1.3 miles is not issue for me, but it will be for many.
    Agree, this could be a problem, even a deal breaker for many.

President Member Commander Eddie's Avatar
    You mean people can't find a ride? I'll bet there will be plenty of Studebakers making the trip back and forth every day.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

"
    Yes, you CAN afford it, and we welcome your attendance at the meet. If your Studebaker does, indeed have a Japanese driveline, please, bring it to the meet and display your craftsmanship."

I do intend to bring my car to the event on Saturday for the "open car show", but I see no point in having it judged. I looked at the judging sheet for "Division 9" and it is just another concours judging sheet. There is nothing about how many points should be awarded for innovation, engineering, craftsmanship, or fabrication of the engine install, suspension, instrumentation, body modifications or anything else, only how many points can be deducted for things that are not perfect. Speaking as someone who has attended a fair number of car shows and done some judging, it is absurd to use the same judging criteria for custom cars and hot rods as for a concours event. I think it is reasonable to assume the winner in Divison 9 will be a nicely restored old Studebaker with a Chevy 350, probably installed with a bolt in kit.

http://www.sdcmeet.com/Content/Docs/...IV_8_AND_9.pdf
    Trying to build a 48 Studebaker for the 21st century.
    See more of my projects at stilettoman.info

President Member
    Funny, How many of you attended South Bend in 2017? Because if you did there were NO busses to the Fairgrounds because of the timing of the event, while school was in session. Some of us rented cars and others carpooled. Those staying at the La Quinta are the farthest away from Le Mays ACM. Lou Cote

Speedster Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 48skyliner View Post
    "
    Yes, you CAN afford it, and we welcome your attendance at the meet. If your Studebaker does, indeed have a Japanese driveline, please, bring it to the meet and display your craftsmanship."

I do intend to bring my car to the event on Saturday for the "open car show", but I see no point in having it judged. I looked at the judging sheet for "Division 9" and it is just another concours judging sheet. There is nothing about how many points should be awarded for innovation, engineering, craftsmanship, or fabrication of the engine install, suspension, instrumentation, body modifications or anything else, only how many points can be deducted for things that are not perfect. Speaking as someone who has attended a fair number of car shows and done some judging, it is absurd to use the same judging criteria for custom cars and hot rods as for a concours event. I think it is reasonable to assume the winner in Divison 9 will be a nicely restored old Studebaker with a Chevy 350, probably installed with a bolt in kit.

http://www.sdcmeet.com/Content/Docs/...IV_8_AND_9.pdf
    48skyliner,

To the contrary, The judging standard ARE different for Class 8 & 9 Studebakers, and they are not subject to the same criteria. Take a look at the judging criteria for Class 8 & 9 here: http://studebakerdriversclub.com/doc...etDIV8AND9.pdf and you will note the differences. If you'd like to take a look at the manual for judging, go here: http://studebakerdriversclub.com/doc...licyManual.pdf .

Having it judged is totally up to you, but I'll guarantee you that we will treat your car with the same respect we treat all other Studebakers with. I, too, am the owner of 3 modified Studebakers, a 1939 Coupe Express, a 1941 Commander Sedan Coupe, and a 1954 Champion Coupe, all Chevrolet powered.

I hope you will consider bringing your Studebaker to Tacoma August 29-31, September 1 to see your innovations, and enjoy the fun the Pacific Northwest has.

Denny Foust, For the SDC International Meet Committee

studeguy54@verizon.net