So.... WyoTech folds up their tent...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So.... WyoTech folds up their tent...

As I pointed out in the comments of the story, the Studebaker National Foundation offered 2 scholarships per year to WyoTech students. Since the SNF also offers 2 scholarships per year to McPherson students, why don't they increase the number of scholarships offered to 4, provided they meet the criteria to be awarded the money?
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

I think that is a good idea. I have a friend who is attending McPherson College. I encouraged him to seek scholarship money from the SNF. He owns a 1922 Studebaker that he drivers around town when he is home. I should ask him if he ever applied. I don't think he got any money but having more scholarships available would be a good thing. These kids are the future of the hobby. We need to help them out as much as we can.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

The college staff WILL NOT tell students what scholarship money is available to them - which I find strange. We have a member in our chapter who graduated, but was never aware of the scholarship until his last semester. Had he known, I'm sure he would have applied every chance he got. I know some years the SNF doesn't award any monies, because no one asks.
      The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Pile View Post
        The college staff WILL NOT tell students what scholarship money is available to them - which I find strange. We have a member in our chapter who graduated, but was never aware of the scholarship until his last semester. Had he known, I'm sure he would have applied every chance he got. I know some years the SNF doesn't award any monies, because no one asks.
        Many colleges get it, Cal-Tech has a whole department looking for all forms of money and matching incoming students to it. When our boys were getting ready to graduate high school, the school had a presentation every year to educate both the seniors and their parents on how to search for possible money sources.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Pile View Post
          I don't know what it is about these kinds of institutions that they don't care to inform their students about scholarships that are available to them. Many years ago our chapter offered a scholarship to a student in one of the Community Colleges in our part of the state. The school had to have an automotive course of study. It could have been used toward a degree in either automotive mechanics or automotive body courses of study. Most counties in our state have a community college and most of the schools at that time had the type of courses our scholarship would have qualified for. We sent out the information concerning our scholarship to all those schools. We got not a single nibble. I went to the body shop instructors at my local school and come to find out nobody let them know anything about the scholarship. I went to the higher ups in the school and they told me that they didn't know of any students who would qualified for the scholarship. Several other members contacted their community colleges and got similar responses. Needless to say we did not offer such things again.
          By-the-way, many of our community colleges are doing away with courses in automotive repair and such things, even welding!
          Joe Roberts
          '61 R1 Champ
          '65 Cruiser
          Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Sad to hear, I graduated from there in 1991 ! Great experience.

Comment

Originally posted by (S) View Post
              Sad to hear, I graduated from there in 1991 ! Great experience.
              I was a 2006 grad. Best year of my life at that school.

Comment

Working...
              X