No announcement yet.

Hot Rod Power Tour 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How interesting. I just came from another forum where the bulk of those who have been on PTs say they'll never do another. It was repeatedly stated that there are far too many participants/vehicles with a lot of the venues unequipped to deal the the number of participants. Just sayin'... it sounded to me like one of those things to do once and say ya did later.

Comment

Well, as you can see I would disagree. Am planning at some point to do it again. I would not say that the venues were all ill equipped to deal with the crowd. I would say maybe one was.
      Joe Roberts
      '61 R1 Champ
      '65 Cruiser
      Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Our member and his son have been on several. There is something about the Power Tour he likes. The only time I went to one of their planned stops in Little Rock it was interesting.
        The thing I notice most in the photos on-line is the large amount of late model cars like you could see at home. I don't think in the late 60s and early 70s the guys driving current muscle cars would have been cruising anything, but the main drag near home.
        "In the heart of Arkansas."
        Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
        1952 2R pickup

Comment

There were a large number of newer cars on the tour. If I were to complain about anything, that would be it. That being said, we should be thankful that the younger crowd with their late model hot rods are at least showing interest in our hobby. Their newer Camaro was our 69 Mustang when we started out.
          The thing that stood out the most for me was the number of younger folks with their families, participating on the tour with an old car. There was a 58 Chevy airport limo on the tour that that included young children all the way up to a grandmother. Pretty awesome.
          I will definitely do it again. We went in this not knowing what to expect and came out with quite an education. Expect lots of traffic, which was bad on the first day, but I think that is to be expected. A good cooling system is mandatory. I never saw our temperature gauge go much past halfway and it was hot outside!
          I saw a total of seven Studebakers on the tour. I think only two or three made the long haul. I would love to see that number increase.
          Jamie McLeod
          Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
          1958 Commander "Christine"
          1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
          1955 Commander Sedan
          1964 Champ
          1960 Lark

Comment

Thanks for the interesting reports, guys; much appreciated. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Here is a link to pictures that include two of the other Studebakers at Power Tour.

Joe Roberts
              '61 R1 Champ
              '65 Cruiser
              Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

I like the Power Tours. Been on 3 in 2 different old cars. If you like to look at a huge variety of cars from all over the U.S., actually performing on the road, it's hard to beat the Power Tour. But the proliferation of basically stock late models is a drag to me. I know it's not limited to just old iron, but to me, if you bring a modern car, it ought to actually be a "Hot Rod", not a stocker like we all see daily. To be sure, there are modern car guys working with newer cars. That to me is a good thing.

Comment

It's still on my bucket list. It seems like a great way to see some new country, and hang out with car guys. My 60 Hawk would fit in nicely. Thanks for posting.
                  Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Working...
                  X