Lunch atop a skyscraper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lunch atop a skyscraper

If you have ever wondered about the story behind the photograph known as “Lunch Atop A Skyscraper” then you’ll find this video interesting to watch.

Even if the scene was set by the photographer, it’s still impressive to me given the lack of safety lines and the extreme daring that is displayed by these men in a casual manner. I had no idea that the photographer who took the photograph can’t be identified as there were several taking photos that day.

Almost made me dizzy! Had to make sure the floor is still under me!
    Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Probably safer walking around up there than walking around the streets after dark in NYC!!

Craig

Comment

Very nice, thanks for sharing!

Comment

Yes, thanks. I am a maintenance guy at a large gold mine, and we have to wear a harness and fall arrest equipment, at any height over six feet. Times have surely changed since 1923! My previous boss had that photo hanging in his office, and I always liked it.
          Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

just wow, THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS
            Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

http://sites.google.com/site/intrigu...tivehistories/

(/url) https://goo.gl/photos/ABBDQLgZk9DyJGgr5

Comment

Remember reading that many of those high steel guys were/are native Americans from the Algonquin tribe, who for some weird evolutionary reason, are not afraid of heights.
              Skip Lackie

Comment

Two of my BIL's were Ironworkers and spent a fair amount of time in the air. On weekends, they sometimes trimmed trees. Dang scary to watch them scurry around up there. Good guys both, Miss 'em daily.

Bob

Comment

That Tribe also had guys building the St. Louis Arch.
                  There is/was a fine film showing at the Arch museum that featured
                  them fully geared up and barefooted.

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                    Remember reading that many of those high steel guys were/are native Americans from the Algonquin tribe, who for some weird evolutionary reason, are not afraid of heights.
                    I think that they were Mohawks.

The guy to our right appears to be holding a liquor bottle (perhaps something else in it, or not).
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                      The guy to our right appears to be holding a liquor bottle (perhaps something else in it, or not).
                      My guess is it's probably used for water as the shape is handy but you never know.

One thing I do know, is when they hit the ground, don't try to keep up with them in the bar. BTDT-got the Tee shirt. I thought I was pretty good until I married into my wife's family, I didn't even rank as an amateur with my BIL Ironworkers.

Comment

Working...
                      X