Thread: commander manifolds

Champion Member

commander manifolds

Has anyone ever seen a manifold split like they do on stovebolt chevys? Im not looking to have more horsepower, I just love the sound that the dual exhaust champions make. I cant even find a picture of a big six split.

I bought a Commander 245 from a guy in Salt Lake City with a split exhaust. It had a homemade header for each of the three cylinders, with two down pipes. It was a decent looking home build, and the guy said that it sounded good. I have not installed the engine yet, so haven't heard it myself.

Champion Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tsenecal View Post
    I bought a Commander 245 from a guy in Salt Lake City with a split exhaust. It had a homemade header for each of the three cylinders, with two down pipes. It was a decent looking home build, and the guy said that it sounded good. I have not installed the engine yet, so haven't heard it myself.
    I would love to see a picture of it!

Its on an engine stand in the shop. I will snap some pictures tomorrow. It's about time that I figure out how to post photos, so this will give me a reason.

President Member
    We used to split it in 4 and 2 on early Chev 215's. Sounded great.
    Bill

Hey, overdriven, I have the photo of the dual exhaust. This will be my first attempt at posting one. 20180209_084718.jpg

It looks like it posted ok, but could not figure out how to rotate it. Now that I have done one, I will try to post a few of my 60 Hawk, "under construction"

Champion Member
    Thanks tsenecal! Thats headers. Im thinkin it cant be done like a chevy. Is there a solid plate installed onthe bottum of the intake?

No, there was no plate on the intake. I stuck my hand up under it, and I could feel the tubes of the intake. I have never seen the Chev version, but have seen Ford 300s with a split aftermarket header.

Champion Member
    It was very interesting to see the headers on your engine. I took the manifold assem off of my parts truck and split it apart.I can see now how it works. I guess Im hoping that I still do an old school split like 64 impala did on his chevy 6. I have a friend with a machine shop who welds a cast.