Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: AVANTI round vs square H/L bezels

  1. #1
    Commander Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Fanning Spgs, Florida
    Posts
    75

    AVANTI round vs square H/L bezels

    According to the Avanti Parts Book the change from round to square headlight bezels occurred at SN 4892. The Avanti on page 67 of the Feb. Turning Wheels has the round bezels but the SN is 4986. What's the deal?

  2. #2
    Golden Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Wappingers Falls, New York, USA.
    Posts
    20,684
    I believe (IIRC) the first square light Avanti sold to the public was 5004.
    I also think that you could still order round lights for a period of time if you didn't want the square lights.
    Many Avantis that have had front end damage ended up with an exchange from round to square or square to round during repair.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

    SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

  3. #3
    President Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Marysville, Washington, USA.
    Posts
    546
    Body numbers can be different from car serial numbers and often are. After the summer shut down, there were cars that were sitting on the assembly line incomplete. There were unordered cars sitting on storage lots. Sherwood Egbert,ordered a change in how the serial number plates read, no longer 63R XXXX to R XXX. Some states titled their cars in the year that they were sold. Three prototype test mules were given the latest serial numbers before being sold. Lou Cote President Club Avanti North West.

  4. #4
    President Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Marysville, Washington, USA.
    Posts
    546
    For further information, Avanti The Complete Story by John Hull or if you feel the need to dig deeper The Avanti Authenticity Manual available from AOAI and other vendors. Lou Cote

  5. #5
    President Member Gunslinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Frederick, Maryland, USA.
    Posts
    4,073
    Yes...there was a round headlight option until the parts ran out. There have been a couple of documented round-eye post-R4892 Avantis.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

  6. #6
    Silver Hawk Member bezhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    here, sometimes somewhere else
    Posts
    5,627
    I know of one being restored that was a much earlier square headlight car. In fact it was a pre production car made before ANY Avanti was released for any dealer. It is hand laid up fiberglass, not the MFG mold. It also has prototype square headlight bezels, as it was the test mule for the change. They are not the same as the production method of the square bezels either.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com


    "Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

  7. #7
    President Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,646
    My '64 Avantis s/n starts "63R"
    Quote Originally Posted by dynolou2 View Post
    Body numbers can be different from car serial numbers and often are. After the summer shut down, there were cars that were sitting on the assembly line incomplete. There were unordered cars sitting on storage lots. Sherwood Egbert,ordered a change in how the serial number plates read, no longer 63R XXXX to R XXX. Some states titled their cars in the year that they were sold. Three prototype test mules were given the latest serial numbers before being sold. Lou Cote President Club Avanti North West.

  8. #8
    Golden Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Wappingers Falls, New York, USA.
    Posts
    20,684
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawklover View Post
    My '64 Avantis s/n starts "63R"
    Then it is really what is considered to be a 1963 model. What are the numbers after the 63R? The 63 was dropped after S/N 3100 per Service Letter G-1964-3B (really about 3601).

    Studebaker permitted left over 1963 Avantis to be originally titled as 1964. This is covered in Service Letter G-1964-3.
    Last edited by studegary; 02-10-2018 at 10:48 AM. Reason: spelling error
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

    SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

  9. #9
    President Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,646
    Full black interior, all wood grained dash, steering wheel,console, ashtray, and cooling tubes leading to shifter. small battery, hood prop on drivers side round controls on air intake controls.
    Quote Originally Posted by studegary View Post
    Then it is really what is considered to be a 1963 model. What at the numbers after the 63R? The 63 was dropped after S/N 3100 per Service Letter G-1964-3B (really about 3601).

    Studebaker permitted left over 1963 Avantis to be originally titled as 1964. This is covered in Service Letter G-1964-3.

  10. #10
    Golden Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Wappingers Falls, New York, USA.
    Posts
    20,684
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawklover View Post
    Full black interior, all wood grained dash, steering wheel,console, ashtray, and cooling tubes leading to shifter. small battery, hood prop on drivers side round controls on air intake controls.
    This still doesn't tell us the Serial Number on the plate on the frame.

    EDIT: Does the "63R" appear on the S/N plate on the frame or just on paperwork, such as the title and/or registration?
    Last edited by studegary; 02-03-2018 at 06:53 PM.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

    SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

  11. #11
    President Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,646
    The paper work states 63R5030
    Quote Originally Posted by studegary View Post
    This still doesn't tell us the Serial Number on the plate on the frame.

    EDIT: Does the "63R" appear on the S/N plate on the frame or just on paperwork, such as the title and/or registration?

  12. #12
    President Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wimauma, FL, USA.
    Posts
    745
    5030 is a late serial number. Likely a 64.
    78 Avanti RQB 2792
    64 Avanti R1 R5408
    63 Avanti R1 R4551
    63 Avanti R1 R2281
    62 GT Hawk V15949
    56 GH 6032504
    56 GH 6032588
    55 Speedster 7160047
    55 Speedster 7165279

  13. #13
    Commander Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Fanning Spgs, Florida
    Posts
    75
    I have a feeling you're confusing Body Numbers and Car Serial Numbers. According to the Avanti Parts Book, body numbers started at 5001. Forget the body number located on the right fender apron. Forget for a moment what's on the "paper work". Look at the actual serial number plate attached to the right frame rail. That's what counts. It's possible that at some time in its life the vehicle was incorrectly titled with the body number (easy to see ) rather than the vehicle serial number ( not as easy to see and sometimes coated with grease and road gunk ).

  14. #14
    President Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wimauma, FL, USA.
    Posts
    745
    Hawklover, these changes could be the 813 BKV option on 63 Avanti. R4551 (a 63) has this option and would cause most people to think it was a 64.
    Last edited by 64studeavanti; 02-04-2018 at 12:11 PM.
    78 Avanti RQB 2792
    64 Avanti R1 R5408
    63 Avanti R1 R4551
    63 Avanti R1 R2281
    62 GT Hawk V15949
    56 GH 6032504
    56 GH 6032588
    55 Speedster 7160047
    55 Speedster 7165279

  15. #15
    President Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,646
    For some reason there is no plate on the frame....I have wondered about this for many years.....the car may have been in an accident and fixed, remember the car was was purchased second hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by rbisacca View Post
    I have a feeling you're confusing Body Numbers and Car Serial Numbers. According to the Avanti Parts Book, body numbers started at 5001. Forget the body number located on the right fender apron. Forget for a moment what's on the "paper work". Look at the actual serial number plate attached to the right frame rail. That's what counts. It's possible that at some time in its life the vehicle was incorrectly titled with the body number (easy to see ) rather than the vehicle serial number ( not as easy to see and sometimes coated with grease and road gunk ).

  16. #16
    Speedster Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Ada, Michigan, USA.
    Posts
    230
    My '64 #4912 has round headlights.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  17. #17
    President Member Rerun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Palmyra, VA USA.
    Posts
    931
    Quote Originally Posted by jeds55 View Post
    My '64 #4912 has round headlights.
    Do you happen to have a copy of the build sheet? If so, is there any notation regarding the headlights?
    Jim Bradley
    Palmyra, VA
    '78 Avanti II

  18. #18
    Speedster Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Ada, Michigan, USA.
    Posts
    230
    No to headlights....Yes to interior. Interior is '64 (after #4892).

  19. #19
    Speedster Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Glenshaw, PA, ( Pittsburgh,PA)
    Posts
    453
    Quote Originally Posted by rbisacca View Post
    According to the Avanti Parts Book the change from round to square headlight bezels occurred at SN 4892. The Avanti on page 67 of the Feb. Turning Wheels has the round bezels but the SN is 4986. What's the deal?
    Round headlight Avantis were built along with square headlight Avantis between R-4892 and R-5005, with R-4893 being the first and R-5005 believed to be the last.

    There are at least 25 known examples with round headlights.

    R-5006-R-5643 are all square headlights.
    Bob Langer
    Glenshaw,PA

  20. #20
    President Member Xcalibur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    986
    It was common for left-over '63s to be sold, titled, and registered as '64s. I've one that was done like that from an OKC dealer who kept the car for a year as a play toy, apparently for the family.

  21. #21
    Golden Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Wappingers Falls, New York, USA.
    Posts
    20,684
    Quote Originally Posted by Xcalibur View Post
    It was common for left-over '63s to be sold, titled, and registered as '64s. I've one that was done like that from an OKC dealer who kept the car for a year as a play toy, apparently for the family.
    For left over 1963 Avantis, it was not only "common" but was required by Studebaker, ref.: Service Letter No. G-1964-3, dated 9/27/63, effective change date of 9/1/63.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

    SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

  22. #22
    President Member ddub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Centralia, WA, USA
    Posts
    2,147
    [QUOTE=studegary;1094798]Then it is really what is considered to be a 1963 model. What at the numbers after the 63R? The 63 was dropped after S/N 3100 per Service Letter G-1964-3B (really about 3601).

    My Avanti is stamped 63R 3416 on the plate on the frame rail.
    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

    40 Champion 4 door*
    50 Champion 2 door*
    53 Commander K Auto*
    53 Commander K overdrive*
    55 President Speedster
    62 GT 4Speed*
    63 Avanti R1
    64 Champ 1/2 ton

    * Formerly owned

  23. #23
    Golden Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Wappingers Falls, New York, USA.
    Posts
    20,684
    [QUOTE=ddub;1095688]
    Quote Originally Posted by studegary View Post
    Then it is really what is considered to be a 1963 model. What at the numbers after the 63R? The 63 was dropped after S/N 3100 per Service Letter G-1964-3B (really about 3601).

    My Avanti is stamped 63R 3416 on the plate on the frame rail.
    The Avantis did not necessarily go through the manufacturing line in sequence. That is why I said; "really about 3601". Yours was in the line during the transition.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

    SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

  24. #24
    President Member ddub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Centralia, WA, USA
    Posts
    2,147
    Interesting that the service letter is so far off. Perhaps 3100was scheduled when they made the decision and it took a while to implement.
    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

    40 Champion 4 door*
    50 Champion 2 door*
    53 Commander K Auto*
    53 Commander K overdrive*
    55 President Speedster
    62 GT 4Speed*
    63 Avanti R1
    64 Champ 1/2 ton

    * Formerly owned

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •