Thread: Photobucket's Latest Offer; is it real?

Brownsburg, IN, USA.(NW suburban Indianapolis)

Photobucket's Latest Offer; is it real?

OK, all; we know Photobucket tried to get $399.99 per year for full access that would permit third-party hosting, like here. I never got around to pursuing another photo hosting site and let the matter fall off the radar.

Three times now, I've had an e-mail offer to "please come back" for only $99.95 per year with third-party hosting. The offer looks real; has anyone else received it and if so, taken them up on it?

Thanks. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Speedster Member Stude Shoo-wop!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I personally have never seen this offer but, knowing Photobucket, there is a catch involved...I'm gonna stay far away.
    Jake Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - completely finished in driveable condition.

President Member
    I have not received the e-mail offer. I wonder if it would include the return of your photos to posts where you now get the ugly "Please update your account . . ." notice? I've become used to posting photos where you click to enlarge.
    Perry
    \'50 Business Champ,
    \'50 Starlight Champ,
    \'60 Lark Convertible,
    \'63 GT R1,
    \'67 Triumph TR4A

Quote Originally Posted by BobPalma View Post
    Three times now, I've had an e-mail offer to "please come back" for only $99.95 per year with third-party hosting. The offer looks real; has anyone else received it and if so, taken them up on it?
    I suspect once they lure you back in, it will be back up to $399.95 next year.

Don't the big-circulation magazines do the same thing to get one back? If there is no response with the first & second renewal letters, the third is usually a half-price or less deal.

Craig
    Last edited by 8E45E; 02-03-2018 at 08:28 AM.

I've received several emails from Photobucket detailing their new options but I simply delete them. I've switched the imgbb which is free and pretty easy to use. Photobucket is yesterday as far as I'm concerned. There's always someone out there hungry for our business...willing to do it as good or better and cheaper. There's no need to show loyalty to a company that shows no loyalty to its customers.

The free market is a wonderful thing...it shakes out the greedy and inefficient.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Funny...after I cancelled my local newspaper, they have flooded me with discount offers. Mail, e mail, and telephone solicitations. Whenever they call, I try to engage them in conversation, to let them know my disdain for their amoral agenda that attempts to normalize bad behavior that degrades societal decorum. I let them know that I can do that myself without paying them money for assistance.

Seriously, like Photobucket, why should I pay them to provide a service others are offering for free!? Like newspapers, what can they give you (these days), that is not available (quicker) through electronic methods? Here, on this forum, the only section requiring an "online host," is the "stovehuggers" forum. As long as I can work around this without having to pay anyone, I am happy with that. When that is no longer an option, I will adapt.
    Last edited by jclary; 02-02-2018 at 08:09 PM.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC
    [IMG][/IMG]
    SDC member since 1975

Right after they began this ill-fated extortion racket they are on, they offered me a year's subscription for $39. Since I have thousands of pictures there, I paid it. My intent is that now I have a year to move my photos, and after that - they can go to blazes.
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Remember the "free for life" checking accounts that banks and credit unions would offer occasionally? Turns out that the "life" was not the life of the customer, but rather the life of the offer. In other words, until the institution decided to rescind the offer.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Quote Originally Posted by RadioRoy View Post
    Remember the "free for life" checking accounts that banks and credit unions would offer occasionally? Turns out that the "life" was not the life of the customer, but rather the life of the offer. In other words, until the institution decided to rescind the offer.
    That reminds me, I had a GT Hawk that needed new mufflers. That was back in the early 1980's. A local muffler shop sold and installed new dual exhausts with a "Lifetime Guarantee." It was also a Texaco service station. Sure 'nuff, a few years later, my mufflers rusted and he honored the deal. Now, the Hawk is long gone, so is the business (and the owner). Instead, there is a Walgreens Drug store where the muffler shop/service station used to be.

I have a Tom Tom GPS unit. My wife bought it for me about ten years ago. It came with "Lifetime Free Map Updates." Last month, I got a notice that the "Life" of the old model had ended, and was no longer supported by the new technology. They offered a discount on a new GPS unit with "Lifetime Free Map Updates." So now, I understand that "Lifetime" has different meanings. Like printed newspapers, dedicated GPS units are not as important as they once were. My "smart phone" (iPhone) has several "apps" that exceed the performance of dedicated GPS units and therefore obviate the need for a separate gadget. Instead of buying another "Lifetime" Tom Tom...I merely killed them off my gadget list.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC
    [IMG][/IMG]
    SDC member since 1975

Quote Originally Posted by jclary View Post
    ... amoral liberal agenda ...
    So much for keeping politics out of the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by rockne10 View Post
    So much for keeping politics out of the forum.
    OOPS!...I'm sorry, I should have left out the word "Liberal." So, I edited it.

(Now...if I could just locate where I misplaced my "PC safe space")
    John Clary
    Greer, SC
    [IMG][/IMG]
    SDC member since 1975

Good one, John. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

If a $39. deal is still available, I'd be tempted to sign up, just so I could recover my pictures that the thieves are holding hostage. OTOH, I'm more accustomed to arresting extortionists, rather than paying ransom.

Dave Lester

Quote Originally Posted by Studedude View Post
    If a $39. deal is still available, I'd be tempted to sign up, just so I could recover my pictures that the thieves are holding hostage. OTOH, I'm more accustomed to arresting extortionists, rather than paying ransom.
    Oh, how I wish you could, Dave! BP

Ayn Rand:

I never leave my pic's, as the 'only' pic's with a photo hoster.
    Usually, buried somewhere in their EULA, there is a copyright or ownership detail that stinks.
    After Webshots sold out, I was able to get my pic's back, but they were just copies of what is in my files.
    Now... When Photobucket pulled their extortion, no pic's were lost, but the busting of all the links sucked.
    When $400 in ransom hasn't worked, they will take $100 annually?
    Screw that.. I go to Photobucket and kill off albums after they have been recreated over on Imgur (free and easy.....so far)...
    Screw the old links. Most people don't really follow them anyways...
    Make new links. Tell the same story all over again. It's the American way!

Quote Originally Posted by Studedude View Post
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

President Member

John Clary: I think what you meant to say was Russian Conservative Agenda. That's all I have to say.

John S.

President Member
    John,

Seriously, like Photobucket, why should I pay them to provide a service others are offering for free!? Like newspapers, what can they give you (these days), that is not available (quicker) through electronic methods? Here, on this forum, the only section requiring an "online host," is the "stovehuggers" forum. As long as I can work around this without having to pay anyone, I am happy with that. When that is no longer an option, I will adapt.

If it was only so! Our local newspaper's online availability, now requires a paid contract to access. They say that I have exceeded my free online allocation, so much for that! It really doesn't mater much to me, since I'm kind of a throwback, and like a newsprint version, anyway. I like to take it with me when I go out for coffee, or to eat, or even just sitting in the parking lot, or on the toilet (pardon the image). I can't do any of that s... with my computer, and I don't own a smart phone. I do hope that the newly imposed 20% duty on Canadian paper, isn't the death knell for the already strapped newspaper industry. My apologies to our friends in Canada!

Jeff, I like the breaking news.

Quote Originally Posted by Hallabutt View Post
    If it was only so! Our local newspaper's online availability, now requires a paid contract to access. They say that I have exceeded my free online allocation, so much for that! It really doesn't mater much to me, since I'm kind of a throwback, and like a newsprint version, anyway. I like to take it with me when I go out for coffee, or to eat, or even just sitting in the parking lot, or on the toilet (pardon the image). I can't do any of that s... with my computer, and I don't own a smart phone. I do hope that the newly imposed 20% duty on Canadian paper, isn't the death knell for the already strapped newspaper industry. My apologies to our friends in Canada!
    Many saw that coming almost ten years ago. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ght=newspapers

I'm surprised many have lived this long!!

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by 8E45E View Post
    Many saw that coming almost ten years ago. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ght=newspapers

I'm surprised many have lived this long!!

Craig
    I was watching NHK TV this morning and on their news coverage they reported that two Japanese paper producing plants were closing because of the falling demand for newsprint. The reason cited was that too many people were now reading the newspapers on their cell phones and tablets.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine