No announcement yet.

Photobucket's Latest Offer; is it real?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photobucket's Latest Offer; is it real?

OK, all; we know Photobucket tried to get $399.99 per year for full access that would permit third-party hosting, like here. I never got around to pursuing another photo hosting site and let the matter fall off the radar.

Three times now, I've had an e-mail offer to "please come back" for only $99.95 per year with third-party hosting. The offer looks real; has anyone else received it and if so, taken them up on it?

Thanks. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

I personally have never seen this offer but, knowing Photobucket, there is a catch involved...I'm gonna stay far away.
    Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Comment

I have not received the e-mail offer. I wonder if it would include the return of your photos to posts where you now get the ugly "Please update your account . . ." notice? I've become used to posting photos where you click to enlarge.
      Perry
      \'50 Business Champion
      \'50 Starlight Champion
      \'60 Lark Convertible,
      \'63 GT R1,
      \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
        Three times now, I've had an e-mail offer to "please come back" for only $99.95 per year with third-party hosting. The offer looks real; has anyone else received it and if so, taken them up on it?
        I suspect once they lure you back in, it will be back up to $399.95 next year.

Don't the big-circulation magazines do the same thing to get one back? If there is no response with the first & second renewal letters, the third is usually a half-price or less deal.

Craig
        Last edited by 8E45E; 02-03-2018, 05:28 AM.

Comment

I've received several emails from Photobucket detailing their new options but I simply delete them. I've switched the imgbb which is free and pretty easy to use. Photobucket is yesterday as far as I'm concerned. There's always someone out there hungry for our business...willing to do it as good or better and cheaper. There's no need to show loyalty to a company that shows no loyalty to its customers.

The free market is a wonderful thing...it shakes out the greedy and inefficient.
          Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Funny...after I cancelled my local newspaper, they have flooded me with discount offers. Mail, e mail, and telephone solicitations. Whenever they call, I try to engage them in conversation, to let them know my disdain for their amoral agenda that attempts to normalize bad behavior that degrades societal decorum. I let them know that I can do that myself without paying them money for assistance.

Seriously, like Photobucket, why should I pay them to provide a service others are offering for free!? Like newspapers, what can they give you (these days), that is not available (quicker) through electronic methods? Here, on this forum, the only section requiring an "online host," is the "stovehuggers" forum. As long as I can work around this without having to pay anyone, I am happy with that. When that is no longer an option, I will adapt.
            Last edited by jclary; 02-02-2018, 05:09 PM.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Right after they began this ill-fated extortion racket they are on, they offered me a year's subscription for $39. Since I have thousands of pictures there, I paid it. My intent is that now I have a year to move my photos, and after that - they can go to blazes.
              The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Remember the "free for life" checking accounts that banks and credit unions would offer occasionally? Turns out that the "life" was not the life of the customer, but rather the life of the offer. In other words, until the institution decided to rescind the offer.
                RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                  Remember the "free for life" checking accounts that banks and credit unions would offer occasionally? Turns out that the "life" was not the life of the customer, but rather the life of the offer. In other words, until the institution decided to rescind the offer.
                  That reminds me, I had a GT Hawk that needed new mufflers. That was back in the early 1980's. A local muffler shop sold and installed new dual exhausts with a "Lifetime Guarantee." It was also a Texaco service station. Sure 'nuff, a few years later, my mufflers rusted and he honored the deal. Now, the Hawk is long gone, so is the business (and the owner). Instead, there is a Walgreens Drug store where the muffler shop/service station used to be.

I have a Tom Tom GPS unit. My wife bought it for me about ten years ago. It came with "Lifetime Free Map Updates." Last month, I got a notice that the "Life" of the old model had ended, and was no longer supported by the new technology. They offered a discount on a new GPS unit with "Lifetime Free Map Updates." So now, I understand that "Lifetime" has different meanings. Like printed newspapers, dedicated GPS units are not as important as they once were. My "smart phone" (iPhone) has several "apps" that exceed the performance of dedicated GPS units and therefore obviate the need for a separate gadget. Instead of buying another "Lifetime" Tom Tom...I merely killed them off my gadget list.
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                    ... amoral liberal agenda ...
                    So much for keeping politics out of the forum.
                    Brad Johnson,
                    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                      So much for keeping politics out of the forum.
                      OOPS!...I'm sorry, I should have left out the word "Liberal." So, I edited it.

(Now...if I could just locate where I misplaced my "PC safe space")
                      John Clary
                      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                        OOPS!...I'm sorry, I should have left out the word "Liberal." So, I edited it.

(Now...if I could just locate where I misplaced my "PC safe space")
                        Good one, John. BP
                        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

If a $39. deal is still available, I'd be tempted to sign up, just so I could recover my pictures that the thieves are holding hostage. OTOH, I'm more accustomed to arresting extortionists, rather than paying ransom.
                          sigpic
                          Dave Lester

Comment

Originally posted by Studedude View Post
                            If a $39. deal is still available, I'd be tempted to sign up, just so I could recover my pictures that the thieves are holding hostage. OTOH, I'm more accustomed to arresting extortionists, rather than paying ransom.
                            Oh, how I wish you could, Dave! BP

Comment

I never leave my pic's, as the 'only' pic's with a photo hoster.
                              Usually, buried somewhere in their EULA, there is a copyright or ownership detail that stinks.
                              After Webshots sold out, I was able to get my pic's back, but they were just copies of what is in my files.
                              Now... When Photobucket pulled their extortion, no pic's were lost, but the busting of all the links sucked.
                              When $400 in ransom hasn't worked, they will take $100 annually?
                              Screw that.. I go to Photobucket and kill off albums after they have been recreated over on Imgur (free and easy.....so far)...
                              Screw the old links. Most people don't really follow them anyways...
                              Make new links. Tell the same story all over again. It's the American way!

Originally posted by Studedude View Post
                              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
                              X