What goes where?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: What goes where?

Afternoon all. I have a rookie question about what goes where on my 1952. I received this car in pieces and am slowly going back together with it. But the PO took the front clip off and discarded a lot of parts that I am slowly finding. But I was wondering is that Click image for larger version

Name:	20180201_140340.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	1757267(green circle) where the blower motor goes? And would anybody have a picture of the under hood area they can share with me on a 1952? Also the red circle is the defrost motor. Would anybody know if that was a 6volt system and can it be changed to 12volt. Thanks in advance.

The entire Car should be 6 Volt POSITIVE ground. Yes a replacement Def. Fan Motor from a 12 V '56 to '62 Hawk or a '56 to '58 Sedan/Wagon will replace it.
    Keep in mind though, that it does have an attached Circular Coil, Heater Core with 3/8 " Coolant Hose fittings.

However, unless you are going to run a High Amp. Sound System, Amplifier, Stereo, Air Cond. or some other high draw or must be 12 Volt Negative ground accessory, the car will run as good as it did in 1952 on 6 Volts.

Usually the hole with green circle has a 4 Inch Duct hose from the Fender Fresh Air Vent to the Firewall mounted Heater Fan Motor, and another 5 Ft. one to the under Seat Heater Core.

To easily understand and work on this Car you need the Studebaker Chassis Parts Catalog, Body Parts Catalog and the Shop Manual.

Here is where Parts, Catalogs and Manuals etc. are found: http://studebakervendors.com
    Last edited by StudeRich; 02-01-2018, 02:36 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Here is are a couple of pictures for the green hole: Click image for larger version

Name:	52 engine 1.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	1719423 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6603_zps1be580cb.jpg
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	1719424 There is a hose which passes through the hole at connects to the blower motor which is mounted on a bracket to the firewall. Fresh air comes from the hose through the fender and is pushed by the fan through the other hose down under the floor to the heater core mounted under the left front seat. Hope this helps.

Comment

Brad, the large hole in the passenger side inner fender is where the duct that supplies air to the heater blower assembly comes in from under the fender. The blower assembly bolts to the firewall adjacent to the defroster blower. If you are missing some parts, please PM me, I know I have a heater blower assembly and probably some other parts that would help you.
        Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
        '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
        '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
        '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

I highly recommend getting the manuals if you dont already have them.
          Also the parts catalog, which has isometric views of some sections.

It will save you a LOT of headaches.

Comment

There are reprints available for the shop manual, body catalog and chassis catalog.
            You are better off with an original shop manual as the pictures in the reprint are dark and not clear at all.
            The original pictures are very clear.
            South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

These are the parts you need to look for. You will need the parts body parts book to convert these illustration numbers to part numbers.
              Attached Files
              "In the heart of Arkansas."
              Searcy, Arkansas
              1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
              1952 2R pickup

Comment

thanks for the replies. I've got the shop manual and I am waiting on the body and chassis catalog. I thought I was getting the chassis catalog and it ended up being a warranty time repair manual. pretty cool but not really what I needed unless it was 1952 and I had to do a warranty motor swap. thanks again for the pictures and information.

Comment

My first entry to forum. Here is a photo taken before disassembly. Hope this helps.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2264.jpg
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	1719478
                  This is from my grandfathers car that I am rebuilding. I have completely disassembled with photos and now have the frame and suspension front and back and steering cleaned and painted. Feel free to contact me if you want more. Also documented every hole in firewall if you need.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by studeillac1952 View Post
                    thanks for the replies. I've got the shop manual and I am waiting on the body and chassis catalog. I thought I was getting the chassis catalog and it ended up being a warranty time repair manual. pretty cool but not really what I needed unless it was 1952 and I had to do a warranty motor swap. thanks again for the pictures and information.
                    Those Step and Time Guides are great to have. They give a brief description of the procedures to perform most repairs.
                    Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

On my 52, most of climatizer had to go, to make room for the big engine transplant. I did however keep the defroster. I bought an aftermarket 12V motor to run it. Very easy to swap in. I have an old thread on that here on the forum, and I recall a few other threads about replacing these motors.

- - - Updated - - -

At the risk of going off topic I know, but I have never seen a body tag like the one on the first picture Cjresto posted.

Comment

Originally posted by cjresto View Post
                        My first entry to forum. Here is a photo taken before disassembly. Hope this helps.[ATTACH=CONFIG]70262[/ATTACH]
                        This is from my grandfathers car that I am rebuilding. I have completely disassembled with photos and now have the frame and suspension front and back and steering cleaned and painted. Feel free to contact me if you want more. Also documented every hole in firewall if you need.
                        I assume your car is a 52. Interesting stacking of tags on the firewall. I've never seen that before.
                        Your car's engine compartment looks way too nice to have a need to take it apart to restore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Michidan View Post
                          On my 52, most of climatizer had to go, to make room for the big engine transplant. I did however keep the defroster. I bought an aftermarket 12V motor to run it. Very easy to swap in. I have an old thread on that here on the forum, and I recall a few other threads about replacing these motors.

- - - Updated - - -

At the risk of going off topic I know, but I have never seen a body tag like the one on the first picture Cjresto posted.
                          Michidian, I found these 2 old posts of yours

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
                            I assume your car is a 52. Interesting stacking of tags on the firewall. I've never seen that before.
                            Your car's engine compartment looks way too nice to have a need to take it apart to restore it.
                            I don't recall seeing one like that either. ???
                            "In the heart of Arkansas."
                            Searcy, Arkansas
                            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                            1952 2R pickup

Comment

That's Canadian production body tags.
                              Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Working...
                              X