Hudson Museum to be sold off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hudson Museum to be sold off

A family's collection of Hudsons will be auctioned off this spring after the town of Shipshewana determined the museum was losing too much money.

What a calamity! I love all the U.S. independent makers and to hear that one of the last bastions of Hudson is "gone, gone, sold and gone" is devastating to me! Just imagine if a similar situation were forced upon our own Studebaker Museum. Many would take off their caps and have a cry. I know I would...

Oh well, I just hope the cars end up with caring owners. It's the best thing that can happen now.
    Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Comment

Sadly, I keep reading how museums in general struggle nowadays. I unfortunately see this being the fate for a lot of smaller local museums over the next 20-25 years.
      Dean Seavers
      Sacramento, CA

Comment

What was wrong with the earlier thread?

(copy)

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Mr. Hostetler is probably turning over in his grave.
          He was quite a guy.

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
            What was wrong with the earlier thread?

(copy)
            http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...=Hudson+Museum
            The city had backed off on selling then. They are at it again.

Comment

Visited this museum a couple of years ago. Some very nice cars. Glad I got the chance!! I would guess that Mr. Hostetler didn't think the town would sell the cars after he passed away.

Comment

I went through Shipshewanna today. It is a destination most of our wives would strive for if they are interested in crafty stuff... Needlepoint, quilting, jelly making, knitting and crocheting keep the shops going. It's not a man cave type place. Oh yes, a couple of great antique malls too. Kind of place you'd visit if here for something. You likely wouldn't travel here just to see what is in Shipshewanna.

Obviously, the town feels more tax revenue could be brought in by converting the area to some other type of operation.

SDC Members should thank their lucky stars the same fate did not befall the collection that Studebaker left to South Bend in the 60's.

Comment

be patient.....

Comment

We visited the Hudson Museum in May of last year. I was able to take pictures of every car and the displays (toys). Hate to see it sold off. The 57 Heaven Museum in Branson met that fate several years ago and that was a great museum also.
                    Gary Sanders
                    Nixa, MO

Comment

Between my drive to and from South Bend and a driving trip to Omaha and back last summer, I visited several automotive related museums. Most had some kind of fee, but some just collected donations. I did not visit one of these museums that I did not enjoy. Some were big (the Auburn, Cord, Duesenberg Museum for example) and some were small (The Antique Car Museum of Iowa for example). Some were full of completely restored vehicles that would make a person lust after each and every one of them. Some were full of completely unrestored autos that were intriguing in their quiet portrayal of a busy life in days long gone. It is disturbing to hear of museums like the the Hudson one spoken of here. I think we need to remember that such museums cannot survive without the dollars and cents it takes to keep up their collections so they can share them with us. Next time you visit any kind of automotive related museum (or any museum for that matter) toss a few extra bucks into the bucket to help ensure its continued service to all of us.
                      Joe Roberts
                      '61 R1 Champ
                      '65 Cruiser
                      Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Hudson Hornets are a great car. I love the styling and interiors. But Hudson fans are a dying breed. With the last cars built in 56-57? The small independents are all just history now. Sad, but true. I'm sure the cars will end up in good hands, and a lot of them will get used for what they were built for..., to drive again!!

Comment

Sad news! The Hostetler Hudson Museum collection will be auctioned on 08/04/18. It is unfortunate Mr. Hostetler didn't donate his cars to the Gilmore Museum. He never expected the town to sell his fine cars. Several car friends were not aware of the museum until the closing was announced.
                          "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

Does anyone know how many other Hudsons Mr. Hostetler owned?
                            I know he had some at the Gilmore Museum a while back.

Comment

It's a shame, a true calamity! We went through it a number of years ago, when the International Studebaker meet had a tour. We tried to go through it last year, in May, after the South Ben Intl. Unfortunately we got there on a Sunday, it's Amish country, and everything was closed. We discussed haw this would never work. A museum in an out of the way like Shipshewanna, and then closing it on Sunday when people had the opportunity to see it, it didn't bode well for it's survival.

Comment

Working...
                              X