Coupe, Hardtop, Sedan... I'm Confused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jnormanh View Post
    Well, John, it's a bit off topic, but I'll tell you a story about Duesenbergs.

Just after WWII my father decided he wanted a J or SJ. At the time they were not considered very valuable. He learned that two of them had been sold new to customers in Minneapolis, so he went there to look for them..After some time spent chasing, he was told that they both went to a scrapyard during WWII, so he went to the yard and inquired.

The answer he got was "Them old Deusenbergs? Yah, we scrapped them. Couldn't get no spare parts, used too much gasoline, nobody wanted 'em."

Ten years later, mid 1950s, he and his brother were running a retail hardware business. Dad was at the desk in the little office, writing a letter when older brother stuck his head in the door.

"Whatcha doin"? he asked."

"I'm sending a guy a check for this Deusenberg." and he showed uncle a green one.

"How much" asked unc.

"$600"

"Are you freaking nuts? You can't get any spare parts, and tires for that thing cost the earth."

Unc was the older brother, and Dad tore up the letter and check.

But the punch line is: A few years later unc paid $500 for a clapped out Cord 810 which seldom ran since there were no parts available, and no mechanic wanted to work on it.
    Here is the story I have. All the engines for the Deusenbergs were built in my former home town of Williamsport Penna at Lycoming Motors. Lycoming Motors also built the V8 engines for the Cord 810 and 812 and the engines for the Auburns.

John S.

Comment

John-
      As you doubtless know (but maybe some don't), E.L. Cord owned all those brands, as well as Lycoming. Lycoming built lots of engines for other makes, and still makes them for aircraft.
      Skip Lackie

Comment

Skip: I have some history about Lycoming Motors that you might be interested in would you like a copy of it? Send me a PM if you are interested.

John S.

Comment

I think this info came from Old Cars Price Guide: A hardtop can be either two door or four door and does not have a B pillar.
          A sedan is a four door or a two door in which the back seat windows can be opened.
          A coupe is a two door in which the back seat windows do not open. It does not have to have back seat windows or seats.
          The window frame discussion is one I had not heard before and they are secondary.
          There are other terms used and have been through the years but these are basic. And for some of the ebay sellers: a coop is where the chickens roost.
          '49 2R15 Flatbed
          '56 Golden Hawk
          '62 GT Hawk
          '63 Champ 8E 12
          sigpic

Comment

A coupe has a B pillar, could be a 3 window without quarter windows, or a 5 window with quarter windows.

Some of these quarter windows are stationary (business coupe for example), some roll up/down, some slide back/forth.

A friend once said describing his 1934 Packard V12 Dietrich stationary coupe with rumble seat, it's pronounced cou-pay, coops are for chickens.

I once owned a 56J, it's a two door hardtop. Mine was assembled in Vernon w/stick and over, P/S .. It's now somewhere on the east coast.
            Last edited by WinM1895; 02-17-2018, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by David56j View Post
              A sedan is a four door or a two door in which the back seat windows can be opened.
              LOL. All this time I have owned Studebaker sedans. I always thought I had coupes.
              I don't speak French, so I guess I'll never have a coo-pay.
              Jerry Forrester
              Forrester's Chrome
              Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Working...
              X