Cross Lists - Part Compatibility - Sources - Champion vs Commander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cross Lists - Part Compatibility - Sources - Champion vs Commander

Is there a source for a list, or does anyone know what parts are interchangeable between a 1950 Champion 4dr and a 1951 Commander 4 dr?

I have a 50 champ and there is a commander parts car semi-locally. I just didn't know if it would be worth the trouble of a trailer haul and part pull.
    1950 Studebaker Champion 4 Door Sedan

Although they look very similar there are a lot of differences.
    Mechanically, the engine, front suspension, steering, brakes, rear end, etc. would all be different. The body and sheet metal, rear fenders, perhaps front fenders with some modification to the inner fenders, doors, bumpers (maybe), trunk lid, etc. would interchange in some respect, but might require holes to be filled, etc. Window glass, regulators, you would need to check the parts books and numbers. The dash and instruments are different.
    Dan Peterson
    Montpelier, VT
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

Thanks @dpson

I was really looking at it more for the radio, bullet nose insert, lenses, automatic lever arm, speedometer (inner not gauge), handles, and such.

Comment

Outside handles should be the same, but the inside door handle has a slight curve on the door panel side for 51, while 50 is straight.
        50 Champion gauges are that year only.

Comment

The radio is slightly different at the top of the back, but should interchange (be sure to keep all the special mounting bolts), the front parking light lenses are the same, rear lenses are different, the bullet nose is different, not sure what you mean about speedometer (inner not guage) and automatic lever arm?
          Dan Peterson
          Montpelier, VT
          1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
          1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

There is no Cross reference LIST between Champions and Commanders, as there is very little need for such.

All you need to do is just COMPARE, the Pictures and Listings in both the Studebaker Chassis Parts CATALOG and the Body Parts CATALOG are the best in the Industry and will answer all of your concerns.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by Bmallett View Post
              Thanks @dpson

I was really looking at it more for the radio, bullet nose insert, lenses, automatic lever arm, speedometer (inner not gauge), handles, and such.
              51 radio will fit in a 50, but not the other way around.
              Speedometer = no
              bullet nose center = no
              Inside door handles will fit but may look different depending on model
              automatic lever arm should fit
              turn signal lenses = yes
              taillight lenses = maybe, but they look different
              RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
              4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
              5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Thanks for the information guys. @RadioRoy, that was pretty much what I was after. I appreciate it. So the speedometer is a no go huh? Mine is locked up and stripped from the cable spinning out that square inset where the cable goes in. I was hoping I could use the speedo from the 51 and place it in the gauge for the 50.

Comment

I see 1950 Champion speedometer on ebay once in a while, and I know French Lake auto parts has some, but I don't know how good they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Bmallett View Post
                    Thanks for the information guys. @RadioRoy, that was pretty much what I was after. I appreciate it. So the speedometer is a no go huh? Mine is locked up and stripped from the cable spinning out that square inset where the cable goes in. I was hoping I could use the speedo from the 51 and place it in the gauge for the 50.
                    Can you take both speedometers apart and mount the 50 face on the 51 mechanism? That might work. If you look at the dashboard you will see that both speedometers are completely different shape and size. You did say that the 51 parts car was a Commander, right?

Why not go over and look at the car? It might be a fun day and lead to some good parts.

This is a 52. https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...PScYkQW532puKF

This is a modified 51, but the speedometer is still the same. https://i.pinimg.com/736x/d7/0b/7c/d...-interiors.jpg
                    Last edited by RadioRoy; 02-01-2018, 06:42 PM.
                    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

Comment

Here is my 1950 Champion speedometer, and the 1951 Commander Roy just posted a link to.
                      If you are lucky, the number wheels would be the same, but nothing else looks close.
                      Roy's picture must be a convertible because the dash is painted body color.

Click image for larger version

Name:	012.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	1719427 Click image for larger version

Name:	1951 Studebaker Instruments.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	1719428
                      Last edited by TWChamp; 02-02-2018, 07:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
                        Roy's picture must be a convertible because the dash is painted body color.
                        It's also a customized/modified car. Notice that the steering column is a 53 and later style.

That wood grained steering wheel sure looks nice, though.
                        Last edited by RadioRoy; 02-02-2018, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X