Computer Protection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer Protection

My "new" (one year ago) laptop computer came with some things, including a McAfee suite of things including virus protection. The free time is now running out. They want (what I think is) a lot to renew (like $50, or more). My Internet connection is via my FIOS service. Does my FIOS service give me enough protection for the limited things that I do, like this forum and e-mail, or do I need to buy something else or is there a better alternative?
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

If it's a Windows 10 computer use Windows Defender that is included with Win 10. That's all I've used for years. It's updated regularly by Microsoft and it scans your computer several times a week.

The best protection you have according to the folks I listen to on the net that seem to know what they are talking about is to have a router, don't open any links you don't know about and use Windows Defender as it's as good as any and free. Options 1/2 are still the most important.

If this session doesn't start at 35 minutes, that's where you need to start for Leo's comments on antivirus. BTW, he's pretty platform/brand agnostic.

Bob
    Last edited by sweetolbob; 01-20-2018, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Thanks, Bob. It is a Windows 10 computer. I am careful about what I open. I connect via the FIOS router. Do I automatically have Defender? The computer came with Win 10 installed.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

After having issues in the past with the free anti virus programs, I went with VIPRE. it checks for updates whenever I turn on this box (you can set it for other updates if you prefer). It's not real pricey, but to me worth the money.
        Money may not buy happiness, but it's more comfortable to cry in a Mercedes than on a bicycle.

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
          Thanks, Bob. It is a Windows 10 computer. I am careful about what I open. I connect via the FIOS router. Do I automatically have Defender? The computer came with Win 10 installed.
          Type "defender" into the search box in the lower left corner. If it's installed it will open the defender software and you need to be sure the boxes on firewall etc are checked to be sure it's enabled. I'll bet you have been running it alongside McAfee as I believe the default is "enabled".

If it wasn't included then the same defender software that opened will take you to the Microsoft site to down load it. I'm pretty sure it's included in Win10 from the get go. If your computer started slowly on start up, one of the problem can be competing antivirus.

I'd chose defender in any case as it's designed to integrate with Windows and it is part of their update program. Because it's a suite, it handles malware, viruses etc, kinda the Swiss Army knife of Antivirus and it's free.

But if you watched the clip, antivirus can only do so much. Good surfing habits are essential. That's why Judy's computer is a Chromebook. She can push all the keys she wants to and nothing can download onto it and execute. That's saved me a ton of reloading her operating system.

Bob

Comment

Bob - I couldn't find any lower left search area, but I did find defender. It had check marks (active) for device performance & health, firewall & network protection and app & browser control. It said that the last scan was 1/20. Does this mean that I am all set? I question this because where I first found defender it had a box to click to activate. When I clicked the box, it gave me what I just posted. It also had a place to go to McAfee for virus protection. I went back a couple of times and it didn't say that defender was active, yet it had the above categories checked.
            I am off to a brunch and a college basketball game now, so I will check back later.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

If the boxes are checked it should be active. Search for uninstall programs and uninstall McAfee. Otherwise it may just keep playing with you trying to get you to pay for it. I don't know how the Antivirus guys are now as I've been using Defender for a couple of years.

The fact it said updated 1/20 suggests that it has been active.

I've used several free and trial antivirus software in the past and back then, McAfee was the worst for pestering me.

As an aside, I purchased a Lenovo AIO computer about 18 months back. I must say it had very little bloatware on it, probably because of how badly they got flogged for some tracking software they had installed in the past. I've made it a jihad for many years to remove everything that looks like bloatware/freeware as soon as I start the computer the first time. Historically, my experience with free trials being more than annoying has caused me to never try the free stuff and uninstall it with the other bloatware on a new machine.

Bob
              Last edited by sweetolbob; 01-21-2018, 08:59 AM.

Comment

Gary;
                I am running Norton on 3 commuters (1 Desk top, windows 7 and 2 Lap tops, Vista) Yes its expensive but in my opinion well worth it compared to the alternative of having to reformat a hard drive; reload the operating system and all the updates and then reload all the programs. Then if you do not have your files backed up; good luck.
                There are also free anti virus like Avast.
                Ron

Comment

I run Kaspersky. You can look it up.
                  Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

Kaspersky Lab is a multinational cybersecurity and anti-virus provider headquartered in Moscow, Russia and operated by a holding company in the United Kingdom. It was founded in 1997 by Eugene Kaspersky, who is currently the CEO.

Just what you need; since a Russia is the source of much of the spy ware.
                    Ron

Comment

Over 8 years with no problems. Get alerts about spyware,untrustworthy sites etc. Totally satisfied and happy with the service.
                      I'll leave the paranoia to you.
                      Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

I learned that I can not activate the Defender anti-virus section while another anti-virus software (McAfee) is installed. When my one year of McAfee runs out, I will figure out how to uninstall it and then activate Defender.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Good catch. Personally I'd just uninstall McAfee and go on but waiting until the free trial ends is just fine as you've had no problem with it installed. Let me suggest that near the end of the subscription you uninstall McAfee and restart the computer if it doesn't do it for you. That should remove the last vestiges of the program and let Defender recognize there is no other antivirus installed and start itself. Just go to the search box you did earlier and make sure it has been turned on.

You can uninstall a program by typing "uninstall Program" into the same search box that you used to find defender originally. That will take you to the uninstall programs location and you can just click on McAfee to remove it. Mine as I explained is on the lower left of my screen but other manufactures obviously put it in other places.

Bob
                          Last edited by sweetolbob; 01-21-2018, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                            Good catch. Personally I'd just uninstall McAfee and go on but waiting until the free trial ends is just fine as you've had no problem with it installed. Let me suggest that near the end of the subscription you uninstall McAfee and restart the computer if it doesn't do it for you. That should remove the last vestiges of the program and let Defender recognize there is no other antivirus installed and start itself. Just go to the search box you did earlier and make sure it has been turned on.

You can uninstall a program by typing "uninstall Program" into the same search box that you used to find defender originally. That will take you to the uninstall programs location and you can just click on McAfee to remove it. Mine as I explained is on the lower left of my screen but other manufactures obviously put it in other places.

Bob
                            Bob - Thank you for the help and suggestions. My McAfee free subscription was scheduled to run out on Feb. 4. I took your advise and removed it from my system this evening (2/2). I then activated the virus and threat protection part of Defender. It took me a bit to figure it all out, but I did it.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                              Bob - Thank you for the help and suggestions. My McAfee free subscription was scheduled to run out on Feb. 4. I took your advise and removed it from my system this evening (2/2). I then activated the virus and threat protection part of Defender. It took me a bit to figure it all out, but I did it.
                              Gary - Thanks for the feedback. Well done.

Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X