Self driving cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Self driving cars

As mentioned in another thread, I'm currently working in Arizona, staying in Tempe. I had noticed at least 2 rather odd looking cars, covered with all kinds of doo dads. Roof, sides, front and rear had all kinds of strange sensors and I assumed camera's. After hunting the internet a bit, it turns out they are Chevy Bolts and are their self driving car test mules. I have seen them out day and night, and taking the same roads over and over (for those familiar with the area, University, Broadway, Rural Rd, etc). I have also noticed several Uber SUV's that are part of their test fleet of self drivers.

Not sure I'm ready to embrace that technology yet, but I did have a question.

Why does a self driving car have rear view mirrors?
    Money may not buy happiness, but it's more comfortable to cry in a Mercedes than on a bicycle.

They have rear view mirrors because I believe that in all jurisdictions the cars are still required to have a driver present to monitor things.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

A "real" one would not, but these are probably standard production cars with proto/testing add-ons. Also, I would expect that sometimes they need a driver when not in "auto" mode.

A totally self driving car w/o any need for human intervention would not have any driver controls at all other than some method to input your destination (voice activated or some touch screen) and could have seats facing the rear (probably not due to crash restraints though).

Some years ago there was a concept self driving tractor I saw pictures of that had no cab or other operator controls or seat. Construction equipment would be the same. If someone actually needed to "drive" it, I image they could use a setup like a RC model plane or drone and remote control it around.

Jeff in ND

Comment

I hope they get this self driving car thing perfected before they take my car keys away from me!!

Comment

The SDC (Self Driving Car in this case) looks like it has the potential to put put Valet parking out of business. Just stop, get out and let it park itself. Then there is the malicious side where sensors are intentionally blocked to cause accidents. And come to think of it, the car in front of you slashes through a large muddy puddle. The muck covers some of the sensors - and you are snoozing in the divers seat.

I think this is more hype and the reality is far more problematic. Do the manufacturers want all the litigation that will likely arise when in theory "they" drive your car? Do they want to sell fewer cars? I mean while you are sleeping your car is in the "Auto Uber" mode ringing up income from people (like those who work nights) who no longer need a car. I never understand why when things like this come along that most people don't consider the greater effect.
          '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

The best way to travel for me is to step into my Ram Pickup, set the destination 1200 miles away, set back with the 30 oz coffee mug and say go hither and let the Truck's brain deal with all the traffic and other crap. Then when I want to turn the Avanti lose, I can just drive like I own it without concern because all the other vehicles are scrambling to get out of my way.

Best of both worlds, laissez les bon temps roule

Bob

Comment

I can hear the announcer now: "Feel the excitement and exhilaration of putting this new Chevy through it's paces as your inputs are immediately responded to by the sensational balance of engine power and outstanding suspension. Aim this beauty at a curve and guide her through the turn with great precision. Feel the pride of "Man over machine" as you become one with your car..Gee what am I saying?...On second thought.... See your local Chevy dealer for a test ride and leave the driving to us!" This is the future of the automobile? Oh!, Joy!...what fun.

Comment

The very thought of a self driving car scares the daylights out of me. Of course, when I think of it, there are too many so-called drivers on the road who really should be in a self driving car. Rog
                '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                Smithtown,NY
                Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Having thought more about these self driving cars ( I don't see them out in the sticks where I live) I have thought about a few more things I have questions about;

1) If 2 self driving cars have a wreck due to a failed sensor/camera, is the person in the car cited for the wreck? I know it would chap my butt to get a ticket for something I wasn't in control of. And what about insurance? I didn't cause the wreck so why should MY insurance go up? Send the increase to the OEM.

2) What about traffic violations for that same failed sensor? I don't see police suddenly stopping writing traffic tickets. But again, if I'm not actually driving, why should I get a fine and points on my license?

Sigh. I gotta stop thinking about stuff like this, it makes my head hurt.
                  Money may not buy happiness, but it's more comfortable to cry in a Mercedes than on a bicycle.

Comment

Well I heartily doubt I'll ever see one on our twice annual commute between British Columbia and Arizona as we stay away from Interstates and just do very remote, extremely scenic, rarely travelled back roads. In fact how many Canucks commute on a dirt road through an Indian Reservation in Northern Nevada? (Google "Duckwater, Nevada" which by the way, has fabulous hot springs but no self driving anything other than cows). I'm pretty sure I'll be dead and buried by the time this becomes a serious reality. Who ordered that auto driving hearse?
                    Bill

Comment

Not only that, why would One even need a Driver's License seeings how the Car is doing every thing

Originally posted by bumpkinvilledano View Post
                      Having thought more about these self driving cars ( I don't see them out in the sticks where I live) I have thought about a few more things I have questions about;

1) If 2 self driving cars have a wreck due to a failed sensor/camera, is the person in the car cited for the wreck? I know it would chap my butt to get a ticket for something I wasn't in control of. And what about insurance? I didn't cause the wreck so why should MY insurance go up? Send the increase to the OEM.

2) What about traffic violations for that same failed sensor? I don't see police suddenly stopping writing traffic tickets. But again, if I'm not actually driving, why should I get a fine and points on my license?

Sigh. I gotta stop thinking about stuff like this, it makes my head hurt.
                      Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Originally posted by 63t-cab View Post
                        Not only that, why would One even need a Driver's License seeings how the Car is doing every thing
                        Just lease the vehicle, ride in the passengers seat and let the powers-that-be sort it out. I wasn't driving! Officer.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                          Just lease the vehicle, ride in the passengers seat and let the powers-that-be sort it out. I wasn't driving! Officer.

Bob
                          Perhaps when I become a drooling half wit (there are some who say I already am, but they're just hateful) that would be a GREAT plan.

Comment

There are news reports of fears of criminals and terrorists using self-driving cars as weapons or to enable crimes such as illegal drug deliveries or carry explosives.

Just what we need...something else for people to get worried about. I guess this might be the new "crisis" talked about in the media.
                            Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

A recent note in a local newspaper indicated that SDC's are being tested on a downtown loop in Stratford, Ontario at a blistering pace of 16 kph or 10 mph. Sheesh! I believe speed may be limited by the on-board IT capabilities with a substantial safety margin. It may be a long time before you see a 70mph capability that people can afford. If that proves to be the case and SDC's are speed limited, then I would expect then to be banned from thruways, as posing a hazard to normal flow of traffic.

Comment

Working...
                              X