No announcement yet.

95 Lincoln Town Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Town Cars only had rear axle Air Bag suspension. Continental had all 4 corner air bags. Easy fix if they are bad. Go to junkyard, get steel coils and hardware from Crown Vic or Grand Marquis

Comment

Or get some of the readily available bladders and enjoy the ride the way it was intended. I drive TBirds with springs, and a Mark VIII with air suspension, and there really is a difference. The bladders are no harder to replace. then replacing them with springs.

Comment

Well, I wound up getting this car, and it was a mistake for sure. The engine is kaput. Left bank, 1,2,3,4, 40, 75, 65, 45 psi compression. Right bank, 5,6,7,8, 0,0,0, 10 psi. Pulled off the RH cam cover, timing mark on cam appears to be where it is supposed to be when the crank is at TDC mark. Hooked air compressor to right bank cylinders: 5,6,8 have air blowing past intake valve; #7 has huge leak into crankcase, so hole in piston. I did rotate the engine to ensure the valves were both closed on each cylinder under leakdown check.

I don't think it's worth my while to put an engine in it, unless I can get an engine for almost nothing. I will probably part it out. Anybody need anything?
        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

What do the wheels look like? A lot of people use Crown Vic wheels on Studes, and the Town Car is basically the same platform, right? Will they fit a Stude and look decent?

Let me be clear, I don't need them.......and they are too far from North Carolina to ship. Just wondering if they might work and look decent on a Stude.
          Paul
          Winston-Salem, NC
          Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
          Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Originally posted by gordr View Post
            I just got offered what looks like a screaming deal on one. Body sound, interior clean, shows a little wear, good rubber. Apparently needs a crank position sensor to make it run. This is a 4.6 liter OHC V8. I don't know diddly squat about them. Looks like it would make a darn fine driver if the engine could be made to run.

Anyone here got some knowledge?
            Sorry that it worked out like that. Anyone that has bought and sold a lot of cars comes out on the short end of the stick sometimes. I know that this does not make it any better.

Who stated that it only needs a crank position sensor? You may have recourse there and be able to get the deal reversed.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Well, I bought it as a non-runner. It may well have thrown a code for that, too. I will tell the seller what I found; if he wants to adjust the deal, fine. If not, well, it's caveat emptor. Poking around the PHX Craigslist, it looks like parting it out might come close to breaking me even.

Paul, the wheels spoked aluminum, many thin spokes, with good tires. Should try them on the Lark, which is parked right behind the Lincoln, right now.

Comment

I would load your Suburban with all the rust-free body panels and haul them back to Alberta. List them on Kijiji as there would be a better market for them here. https://www.kijiji.ca/b-alberta/1995...0l9003?dc=true

Craig

Comment

I may be wrong, but the subframe that the front suspension is mounted to should be the same as a Crown Vic and those are popular with the truck modifiers as they bolt straight on F series trucks from the 60's on up with only a few brackets added to the F series frame.

Comment

Originally posted by spokejr View Post
                    I may be wrong, but the subframe that the front suspension is mounted to should be the same as a Crown Vic and those are popular with the truck modifiers as they bolt straight on F series trucks from the 60's on up with only a few brackets added to the F series frame.
                    Panther platform: 1979/82 LTD (name changed in 1983 to Crown Victoria); 1979/2010 Mercury Grand Marquis; 1980/2011 Lincoln Town Car; 1983/2012 Crown Victoria.

1979/2002's have worm and roller P/S; 2003/12's have rack & pinion P/S

The last years of the Crown Vic's were sold as fleet vehicles, cop cars and taxi-cabs.

The front suspension/steering is a popular swap for 1961 and later F Series (F100/350) trucks.

Comment

Originally posted by gordr View Post
                      Well, I wound up getting this car, and it was a mistake for sure. The engine is kaput. Left bank, 1,2,3,4, 40, 75, 65, 45 psi compression. Right bank, 5,6,7,8, 0,0,0, 10 psi. Pulled off the RH cam cover, timing mark on cam appears to be where it is supposed to be when the crank is at TDC mark. Hooked air compressor to right bank cylinders: 5,6,8 have air blowing past intake valve; #7 has huge leak into crankcase, so hole in piston. I did rotate the engine to ensure the valves were both closed on each cylinder under leakdown check.

I don't think it's worth my while to put an engine in it, unless I can get an engine for almost nothing. I will probably part it out. Anybody need anything?
                      My girlfriend had a 98 Explorer 4.0 liter V6 which is the same architecture as the 4.6L. V8 as I understand it She had a similar problem as what your are experiencing. It turns out that there are two timing chain tensioners one on each cylinder bank. One at the front of the engine and one at the back. These have to be serviced at the specified interval otherwise they cause internal damage. In her case it just wasn't cost effective to have a mechanic pull the engine and do the repairs.It was a real shame because she always took very good care of the vehicle and we weren't aware of the tensioners needing servicing.

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                        I would load your Suburban with all the rust-free body panels and haul them back to Alberta. List them on Kijiji as there would be a better market for them here. https://www.kijiji.ca/b-alberta/1995...0l9003?dc=true

Craig
                        Hey Gord, Craig may be onto something, but hell bring the whole car up to Alberta. The modern-day lowrider kids like those towncars, and if it's rust free and has a good interior they may eat it up for a price where you can make a profit...maybe even find a Donk builder as they like those big body on frame cars too, although I'm not sure what the Donk following is in AB. cheers, junior
                        sigpic
                        1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

I don't know if the car is importable to Canada, but I expect it is, since more than 15 years old. But it would have to come up on a future trip, since my trailer is at home. The wheels on this car are the same as depicted near the bottom of the Kijiji page on your link. I think I will put it up on Craigslist here, and see what happens. I don't want to waste too much time here parting it out.

It occurs to me that the multiport injection on this engine might be transplantable to a Studebaker block. The heads are made with their port faces perfectly horizontal, and the aluminum manifold just plops down on top of them. A pair of wedge-shaped adaptors could be made to bolt to Stude V8 heads to mimic that setup. Provided that the relative dimensions permit. I won't let this car go to the scrapper without having picked its bones clean for what I might want, if parts sales prove hopeless.

Comment

It is on the wrong side of the country for you, but I just noticed an interesting current auction. It is the Sachem auction under www.AARauction.com
                            It includes two lots, each lot consisting of a rebuilt Ford 4.6 litre V8. They are both long blocks still sealed in their "crates"/boxes. One is a '92-'94 and the other is a '95.
                            The current bid on each is $70.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Here it is:

Don't know if this would work but it is also on Craigslist

Bob Miles
                              Tucson AZ

Comment

Yeah, that first ad is me. I have had a grand total of 2 calls so far.

Comment

Working...
                                X