Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Correct Cab?

I have a 62 Champ with the peddles through the floor as they should. There
    is a block off plate on the firewall where hanging peddles should go. Is this
    correct or do I have a 63/64 cab?
    Thanks

Paul,
    I just looked at the firewall on my 1962 Champ and found no "block off plate". What is your body number?

Comment

Bob, I don't have the PU here, but it was assembled 9-15-61 so it is an
      early 62.

Comment

Paul,
        When you get to see the cab look at the body tag attached to the firewall on the passenger side. If the first 2 characters are 7E its a '62. 8E is '63.

Comment

Originally posted by paul shuffleburg View Post
          Bob, I don't have the PU here, but it was assembled 9-15-61 so it is an
          early 62.
          That would deffinately make it a 7E. The VIN plate on the B-pillar would be more definitive - those body plate are two small screws from being removed.

Have heard another way of telling the 8E cabs from the 5E-7E is something on the firewall. Word has it, when Studebaker went to the swinging pedals for the 8Es, they removed something from the firewalls that had been there on the earlier trucks that was a carry-over from the cars: two metal supports that were used on the cars to bolt the body to the car frames - they were not used on the trucks but were not removed from the firewalls for some reason. Photo below is from a '60 Lark that shows the two supports - one under the steering column and the other on the opposite side.

Comment

Thanks for the help. I'm pretty sure the ser.# plate is tacked to the B pillar. It is registered as
            a 7E7. I never noticed those cab mounting brackets before. Now I can't wait to get it home in
            the spring.

Comment

Yep - VIN plates are welded to the pillar so ones that are screwed on are suspect.

Those mounts will actually attach to the truck frame - just have to drill the holes in the frame and put some rubber mounts between the two...

Comment

EDIT: Tacked to the B pillar? What an idiot!

Comment

62 champ, I tried to use those mounts on my gasser project and found that there is about a 3 inch difference in height. I had to make a mount to come up off the frame to bolt to those firewall mounts other wise the cab was to low in the front. I'm having problems finding the correct front and rear mounting hardware for my other T-cab. the rear of the cab spacers and the front rubbers and spacers and washers for the bat wings. any idea's anybody?

Comment

Originally posted by paul shuffleburg View Post
                    EDIT: Tacked to the B pillar? What an idiot!
                    Guess WHAT? That's how they all are!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Blue 63 Short Bed5.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	1718068 Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	1718069

I GUESS this SAE Net H.P. difference on the same Year and Model is about the Engine C.I.D.

This 8E7 says: 162 Net H.P. at 3900 = +21 H.P., 210, 289 Adv. H.P. = +25
                    OR: 210 -162 = 58 Rating diff.

My 8E7 says: 141 Net H.P. at 3800 = -21 H.P., 185, 259 Adv. H.P. = -25
                    OR: 185 -141 = 44 Rating diff.

I know mine is a 259 and this one could be and probably IS a 289, that's gotta be it.
                    Last edited by StudeRich; 01-21-2018, 04:10 PM.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                    X