Asking all new SDC members to respond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stude Shoo-wop! View Post
    Hey! Jake Kaywell commenting to report that while I still have not received any issues of Turning Wheels (I did sign up in November) I will still renew my membership because this forum and my GT Hawk by the name of Daisy-Mae have both been great!! One suggestion I would like to make to SDC is to develop the photo album more. I was disappointed by the relatively few pictures that were in there.
    If you joined SDC in November, it seems that you should have received one or possibly two issues of Turning Wheels by now. Please check with Cornerstone Registration (during normal business hours) - 763-420-7829 to verify your membership and mailing address.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Update: Thanks to Jake and Dean so far for your thread response. I have also receive several positive PM responses from new members. Not that this is scientific by any means, it is a good indicator of why people are joining. Keep 'em coming. This hopefully be useful to keep our club active and vibrant in the coming years.

I will update later on the reasons people are joining.

Bob Miles
      Tucson AZ

Comment

I joined in 2013 when I bought my first Studebaker. The forum has been a fabulous resource for technical support and the comraderie is fantastic.

Comment

I joined in 2014 after falling in love with a rusty lark
          "trying to save them from the crusher one at a time"

Comment

I joined in 2014, even though I've had Studebakers since the 60's. The main reasons for joining was to find out about events, trips, and leads for parts.

Comment

Joined a couple of years ago, hoping to find a "bullet-nose" convertible -- and figured that TURNING WHEELS would be good place to look...and look....and look. I did finally find a Studebaker (my first old car purchase, discovered in Hemmings) and have spent the past year restoring this 1951 Champion Regal Convertible to become a daily driver. The advice on these forum pages has been positive, and I am indebted to Bob Palma and others for personally answering emails or direct messages. SDC members have helped steer me to everything from radio restoration to how to best handle "frozen" screw lifts on a 67 year old car (Palma's answer: have new hydraulics installed. A masterful answer, because now the roof lifts effortlessly.) I am grateful that for this forum and the amazing monthly magazine. And, for what it's worth, I like the new magazine format. Easier to read.

Comment

I re-joined in 2014 after about an 8 year hiatus. I re-joined because we had finally dragged out my 59 Lark and revived it, to get ready to take it to the St. Louis Int'l meet in 2015 and then the Hot Rod Power Tour the next year (2016 and 2017).

The previous time I was in membership from about 1997 through 2006. I was an active member in a local club and was the secretary for a few years. I left due to a disagreement on how to attract new members to the club (I was the youngest at age 35.) Since then, most of the local chapter I had been a member, have passed away and there is very little local activity from that chapter. I MAY join another chapter nearby, but I'm not sure at this time.

I joined the first time because I had owned my Stude since 1981 and encountered a local member that was VERY active with his cars. We were just starting our family, but didn't have our car out and running yet.

I disagree with not posting negative comments because that's a bit like hiding the real reasons why people do or do not join. You may see why they join, but not why they don't stay.

I hope this gains positive results!
                Dis-Use on a Car is Worse Than Mis-Use...
                1959 Studebaker Lark VIII 2DHTP

Comment

I disagree with not posting negative comments because that's a bit like hiding the real reasons why people do or do not join. You may see why they join, but not why they don't stay.

I hope this gains positive results![/QUOTE]

Thanks for your comments! I am hopeful this will gain positive results. I have received many positive responses on my PM and one negative response that I will be passing on to the board.

The main reason I asked to have negative responses sent to me by PM was not to hide reasons but to not start a grass fire and have new people discourage in responding.

My hope is after more feedback, I will start a new thread categorizing the positive results, in hopes to grow our membership. As an addendum, if anyone that has joined and do like to continue membership, please include those comments as well.

This is not scientific by any means. Just friendly feedback but I will make mention later of all the PM's I may get both good and bad.

Bob Miles
                  Tucson AZ

Comment

I joined two years ago when I bought a 49 2R17A....I have always wanted an avanti or hawk......a few years prior to my purchace, I went to the Studebaker Museum to research a car I had found for sale, but never saw one in good condition (56 President two door) I went to look at the scotsman and the green president.....I was blown away at the museum, the "forgotten" cars that I have always been drawn to....

I had always been a mopar guy, still am, but I always had trucks and C-Bodys.....and No Bodys Like C Bodies....Well, we are far and few between....thank god for facebook...I find there are more of us around...

but back to Studebakers....the people I have met, and have helped with advise, parts, and such have proven to be THE NICEST PEOPLE IN THE AUTO ENTHUSIAST WORLD.....Mopar guys are cool only to the same cars as they like...turned up noses at anything else....help you out if they don't want it, or think you can out run their car.......unlike here, where if you want a copy of the Stude-Tomato, or the Whistler.....just ask....supercharge a Wagon.....why not.....fix a FOUR DOOR (horrors) ABSOLUTELY....everyone has a favorite, mine is my number one....yours is appreciated too....Only little snobbery I have noticed is the Avanti vs the Avanti II guys......seems the II's are second rate to some....(not me)......

so, I will continue the membership, enjoy making new friends who I don't have to compete with, but folks I can enjoy cars with.

The nicest cars come from South Bend.....and the drivers of such, ain't bad either.

Comment

Kevin, I appreciate Your attitude on this "I'm sure others do also" !

Originally posted by nwi-region-rat View Post
                      I joined two years ago when I bought a 49 2R17A....I have always wanted an avanti or hawk......a few years prior to my purchace, I went to the Studebaker Museum to research a car I had found for sale, but never saw one in good condition (56 President two door) I went to look at the scotsman and the green president.....I was blown away at the museum, the "forgotten" cars that I have always been drawn to....

I had always been a mopar guy, still am, but I always had trucks and C-Bodys.....and No Bodys Like C Bodies....Well, we are far and few between....thank god for facebook...I find there are more of us around...

but back to Studebakers....the people I have met, and have helped with advise, parts, and such have proven to be THE NICEST PEOPLE IN THE AUTO ENTHUSIAST WORLD.....Mopar guys are cool only to the same cars as they like...turned up noses at anything else....help you out if they don't want it, or think you can out run their car.......unlike here, where if you want a copy of the Stude-Tomato, or the Whistler.....just ask....supercharge a Wagon.....why not.....fix a FOUR DOOR (horrors) ABSOLUTELY....everyone has a favorite, mine is my number one....yours is appreciated too....Only little snobbery I have noticed is the Avanti vs the Avanti II guys......seems the II's are second rate to some....(not me)......

so, I will continue the membership, enjoy making new friends who I don't have to compete with, but folks I can enjoy cars with.

The nicest cars come from South Bend.....and the drivers of such, ain't bad either.
                      Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

The nicest cars come from South Bend.....and the drivers of such, ain't bad either.[/QUOTE]

Kevin,

Thank you for your input. This says volumes about the majority of our club. Sure there might be a few that behave like your experience with the Mopar group as well as the bow ties and the blue oval yet most people when they gather together, like to drive and eat at an outing. When I joined our chapter, someone suggested that SDC stood for Studebaker Diners Club.

Keep sending responses gang. We need it to assure our Studebaker Drivers Club maintains membership and great experiences.

Bob Miles
                        Tucson AZ

Comment

Just a bump to keep interest active.

Bob Miles
                          Tucson AZ

Comment

I guess I didn't state the primary reason for my re-joining: Parts and contacts.

I needed parts for my car and I needed to get back in touch with some of the locals and that was the best way to do it.

I agree that the Studebaker guys are very helpful with other Stude guys because they all know we are all "just a little different" anyway, just because we don't have a bowtie, blue oval, or a set of ram's horns.

But we ALL have the lazy "S".

Thanks for keeping things alive and keeping the FORUM alive. This is the ONLY way any new members will find us. Nobody under 40 reads a newspaper anymore.
                            Dis-Use on a Car is Worse Than Mis-Use...
                            1959 Studebaker Lark VIII 2DHTP

Comment

I joined about 6 or 7 months ago. The main reason was, I purchased a 1952 Commander that is in reasonable condition and hoped I would find info here to keep it running and fix it up some. I'm looking to make this, if not my daily driver, at least able to drive it on more than just weekends and holidays.

Comment

Joined last year seeking tech support & prewar tribal knowledge after purchase of '41 Champ Coupe. Came across SDC during web search.

Comment

Working...
                                X