• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
    Agree,

Yes, it's OK on 6-cyls.
    Maybe/maybe not on light duty 259" V8s
    Definitely can be problematic in Avanti and performance 289" Lark V8s; 4-speeds seem to fail soonest.

jack vines
    All of my cars were V-8, mostly 259” but several 289” and definitely several 4 speeds. Also three Avanti 4 speeds. I guess I drive ‘em easy.

Comment

Bill, As Jack stated:
      [QUOTE:JMHO, but the suspended clutch linkage is an abomination. The Studebaker engineer must have been given $1.59 to build that and was mad about it. If I were doing it, I'd definitely go with a hydraulic master and throwout bearing.][/QUOTE]
      For what it's worth, on my '70 Avanti which I converted from a Flightomatic to a Doug Nash 5 Speed, I used the Lark suspended pedal assembly which fits great and is a bolt in. I plan to use McLeod Industries hydraulic assembly as the 11" pressure plate I am using is "old school" Borg and Beck Long which has a fairly high pedal effort. The hydraulics should aid in that issue. I've used it before and love it.

Hydraulic Throw Out Bearing

McLeod Hydraulic Bearings are made of the finest hard-anodized billet Aluminum, along with quality elbow swivel fittings and high-pressure stainless steel braided lines. Our Hydraulic Bearings are available in both Bolt On and Slip On styles. The Slip On bearings is good for most applications. The Bolt On applications are for tight clearances. These assemblies may be used to eliminate the need to fabricate complex clutch linkage when swapping transmissions.

Good Luck,
      BillHydraulic Throw Out Bearing

McLeod Hydraulic Bearings are made of the finest hard-anodized billet Aluminum, along with quality elbow swivel fittings and high-pressure stainless steel braided lines. Our Hydraulic Bearings are available in both Bolt On and Slip On styles. The Slip On bearings is good for most applications. The Bolt On applications are for tight clearances. These assemblies may be used to eliminate the need to fabricate complex clutch linkage when swapping transmissions.

Comment

As an engineer with quite a bit of auto maintenance experience, I just do not like the idea of a hydraulic throwout bearing. If it fails you have no choice but to pull the transmission to replace it. I have never owned a car with one, and I never will. It must be cheaper to manufacture and install at the factory - I can't think of any other reason so many cars are going that way.

I have had many, many cars with hydraulic clutch slave cylinders, and they do fail occasionally, but it is usually a 20 minute job to replace and bleed it. If it does leak, it is normally out where you can see it, so the source of the leak is easily identified.
        Trying to build a 48 Studebaker for the 21st century.
        See more of my projects at stilettoman.info

Comment

Originally posted by 48skyliner View Post
          As an engineer with quite a bit of auto maintenance experience, I just do not like the idea of a hydraulic throwout bearing. If it fails you have no choice but to pull the transmission to replace it. I have never owned a car with one, and I never will. It must be cheaper to manufacture and install at the factory - I can't think of any other reason so many cars are going that way.

I have had many, many cars with hydraulic clutch slave cylinders, and they do fail occasionally, but it is usually a 20 minute job to replace and bleed it. If it does leak, it is normally out where you can see it, so the source of the leak is easily identified.
          It took me a while to come around to being comfortable with a hydraulic slave cylinder. However, they're pretty universal in recent car production and the manufacturers have no worries about a warranty on them for five years and 50,000 miles.

And yes, McLeod makes a really nice unit and I used one on my custom Hawk. But they are a super-premium price; the one in the photo is a $400 bill. When a GM truck hydraulic throwout bearing is a $50 bill, that's the way I chose to go on my most recent build.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

Working...
          X