No announcement yet.

FI Tech in '56 C cab w/ 259

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well now that there are adapter plates to fit mopar and chevy manifolds to Stude engines why not get a bit modern with the Edelbrock XT setups?? These look great and have wireless setup with blue tooth tablets.

Get fast, Free Standard Shipping on orders over Summit Racing Equipment from $109 -- no shipping, handling, or rural fees! Exclusions apply.
    Dan White
    64 R1 GT
    64 R2 GT
    58 C Cab
    57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Dan, Paul and others,
      FITech update:
      Seeing as the Chev had other issues to sort out, non-FiTech related, the computers were cleared and it was sent off with it's owner to start relearning everything. Any updates I receive I'll pass on.
      NOW,and I firmly believe this will be the closest application to our Studebakers, the new FiTech just arrived and will be installed on an old school Buick 401 Nailhead(slightly modified such as we would do) which we installed in a 1964 Buick Skylark SportWagon(no they don't bolt in but it does now).
      Seeing as I'm heading back to the snow I'll have to pass on our success (or failure which I doubt will be an option), through my buddy as he fills me in as to his progress. I'm sure it will be a lot slower due to the lack of Canuck assistance.

More as it happens,
      Cheers, Bill

Comment

Dan, Paul & others,
        FiTech appears to be a winner. My pal stated it was the easiest install ever on the 401 Nailhead. Two cycles of the kay and it flashed right up. First road test was great, power reasonable, driveability terrific while the unit was "learning". All functions appeared to be as expected with no surprises. Now one of us has to try it on a Studebaker. If you are patient maybe that'll be me.
        Cheers, Bill

Comment

Bill, thanks for the continued updates!! They are very much appreciated.
          Paul
          Winston-Salem, NC
          Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
          Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Now that I have my entire fleet here in Arizona the FI tech system is on my wish list. I want it primarily because the elevation here is around 5400' with many or the roads dropping down alot lower, so altering the air/fuel mixture & keeping a constant ratio really appeals to me.
            59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
            60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
            62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
            62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
            64 Zip Van
            66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

FI Tech Update:
              Paul, Dan, Charles & others,
              OK I'm back in Arizona and getting back into the hot rods and of course, a certain '57 Clipper Wagon restoration.
              While I was gone this was done by my pal here unloading another friend's wallet!
              The car is a 1937 Chevrolet with a roller equipped 383 with Tri-Power Rochester 2bbls on I believe, an Edelbrock Intake manifold.
              Well to the point, FITech 2BBLs don't fit.
              So they procured a Weiand TriPower manifold which had the Holley Base patterns.
              Tight but a perfect fit (and personally I think the Weiand probably out performs the Edelbrock unit).

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1345[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	1724561Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1345[1].jpg
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	1724561Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1347[1].jpg
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	1724562Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1347[1].jpg
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	1724562Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1348[1].jpg
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	1724563Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1350[1].jpg
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	1724564Sorry for the pic duplications, I guess I'm too impatient while it loads up.
              Back to the FiTech, there is no progressive linkage as it sorts that out electronically. There are throttle stops on each unit. My pal whose wallet is lighter, figures it feels like he picked up 20-30 HP over the Rochesters'(I personally think the Weiand may have helped as well as I'm using one of their "Stealth" manifolds on my 406 CID Avanti <Chev>engine). It's still just learning so an update will follow after I have road tested the car.
              Later as it happens,
              Bill

Comment

It's still in the "learning mode". Once over 165 degrees it starts, idles and runs incredibly well however at this stage is a bear to start when cold and very rich. Just more sorting out and will post here.
                Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
                  Dan, Paul & others,
                  FiTech appears to be a winner. My pal stated it was the easiest install ever on the 401 Nailhead. Two cycles of the kay and it flashed right up. First road test was great, power reasonable, driveability terrific while the unit was "learning". All functions appeared to be as expected with no surprises. Now one of us has to try it on a Studebaker. If you are patient maybe that'll be me.
                  Cheers, Bill
                  Hi, Bill,

Yes, agree, a new 21st century TBI should run a lot better, more power, improved economy. I'd love to put one on with a real-time O2 sensor readout. That would confirm the self-learning and help give it a push when it seems to be slow to learn the cold start drill.

Maybe on your current build? Give me a call at your convenience.

jack vines
                  PackardV8

Comment

A thought to keep in mind.
                    I know of a three of private parties and two shops that have had difficulty with the FITech group. Their "help line" appears to be a little lacking.
                    About half switched to the Holley (about the same price for a similar kit) and had better results.
                    Another large shop, told me, they both work well.

I do not have either brand at this time. If I do buy, it will be one of the Holley kits.

Mike

Comment

I will agree with this opinion...up to a point.
                      Yes, the FiTech can be complicated to 'tune'. But that is part of what makes a good EFI system. Choices.
                      If you dumb down the system so the end user/installer has fewer choices, then the install may be easier, but the options are fewer.
                      Maybe that's where the Holley people prosper... Knowing the limitations of their customers.
                      I, too have had some issues with my FiTech. Most of my issues were self induced.
                      Most of my customer service issues were because I did not know, or understand, the myriad of choices that can be made.
                      One of the more humorous things to read is the brand preferences. That's OK.. My brand preference is Studebaker, so what do I know.
                      I know the owner of FiTech. What most people don't know is that he owns the patents on the injectors currently run by all of the companies, Holley included.
                      I agree that a good customer service department makes a difference.

Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post
                      A thought to keep in mind.
                      I know of a three of private parties and two shops that have had difficulty with the FITech group. Their "help line" appears to be a little lacking.
                      About half switched to the Holley (about the same price for a similar kit) and had better results.
                      Another large shop, told me, they both work well.

I do not have either brand at this time. If I do buy, it will be one of the Holley kits.

Mike
                      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
                        It's still in the "learning mode". Once over 165 degrees it starts, idles and runs incredibly well however at this stage is a bear to start when cold and very rich. Just more sorting out and will post here.
                        Bill
                        Which Distributor did you use for this?

thx
                        64 GT Hawk (K7)
                        1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	engine.jpg
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	1724647Here is a picture of our attempt at using EFI. It is a '57 Transtar , 289 with the Holley Sniper and an R-2 blower. The throat of the sniper is wider than the AFB, so we had an adapter machined out of aluminum to mate the stock hat to the throttle body. Of course, the sniper linkage would not clear the manifold so we used a spacer to mount it. Then the adapter made it even a little taller so that the supercharger output didn't square up to the hat, so we crafted the setup in the picture. I talked to holley about the sniper and they said it will work fine for a stock Paxton blower since there isn't crazy boost. We are not planning to use timing control at present, but we do have an aftermarket HEI distributor.
                          All that being said, we are working on some other issues with the truck, and haven't yet run the engine for any length of time, so don't have any input on how well it works.

Comment

What John is saying is that the Sniper outer dimensions are 'sized' to be a replacement for a later model AFB carb.
                            The air inlet size (to the R2 air hat) is a known issue with later AFB's. John's air hat adapter is de rigueur.
                            The throttle linkage impingement to the heat crossover casting is also a known condition.
                            The GM trans kickdown cable link hangs down and hits the intake. The AFB work around is simple. Don't know about the Sniper. The 'adapter plate' just lifts the EFI unit up enough to clear the kickdown link arm from th manifold.
                            The boost issue Holley was referring to is the built in MAP sensor (Manifold Absolute Pressure). Holley (and the MSD Atomic) both use a #1 MAP sensor. This means the pressure reference sensor is rated foir "1" atmosphere (14.7 psi at sea level)

Several manufacturers use a "2" map sensor, meaning the EFI computer can handle up to 28 pounds of boost.
                            The timing control issue refers to the EFI taking electronic control of the ignition timing. That is why they require an electronic distributor that provides a signal to the EFI unit. The EFI unit controls 'when' the coil fired. The signal goes to the EFI unit, and it modifies the 'when' for the coil. That is why you have to 'phase' the distributor (to get the rotor and cap in the correct position so spark timing can be advanced/retarded).
                            Nothing magic. Just a different technology. John's experience would probably happen with any aftermarket EFI system.
                            But, careful shopping might discover features that make the Stude engine experience better.
                            This particular technology is changing pretty rapidly. I always keep my eyes open...

Originally posted by jmaxwell View Post
                            Here is a picture of our attempt at using EFI. It is a '57 Transtar , 289 with the Holley Sniper and an R-2 blower. The throat of the sniper is wider than the AFB, so we had an adapter machined out of aluminum to mate the stock hat to the throttle body. Of course, the sniper linkage would not clear the manifold so we used a spacer to mount it. Then the adapter made it even a little taller so that the supercharger output didn't square up to the hat, so we crafted the setup in the picture. I talked to holley about the sniper and they said it will work fine for a stock Paxton blower since there isn't crazy boost. We are not planning to use timing control at present, but we do have an aftermarket HEI distributor.
                            <snip>
                            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I'm immersed in it with my pal's 455 Buick Riviera, another's tri-power '37 Chev, and a '49 Chev 5 Window 383.
                              Keep you posted.
                              Bill

Comment

Good stuff, Jeff! Let me know when the "perfect EFI combo" for a Paxton-supercharged 289 in a C/K or a naturally-aspirated 259 w/manual transmission in a C-cab appears....

Comment

Working...
                                X