FI Tech in '56 C cab w/ 259

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: FI Tech in '56 C cab w/ 259

I did not see that anyone has posted this yet, although it dates back to last July. Looks like Fi Tech has a real winner and may be considered standard replacements on our engines:

1956 Studebaker Transtar Pickup 259 V8 with new Fitech fuel injection

This is a quick once over of the Fitech 30001 fuel injection and command center. It is installed on a 1956 Studebaker 259 V8 Transtar pickup. I replaced the ...
    Dan White
    64 R1 GT
    64 R2 GT
    58 C Cab
    57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

In the install video, he said the command center vent line is same as a fuel return line?

Comment

I think he said it basically serves the same purpose so it really does not go away. I remember that the original write up said something about not needing a return line.
      Dan White
      64 R1 GT
      64 R2 GT
      58 C Cab
      57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Man there is NO doubt that guy NEEDS a 700R4 all right!
        It sounds like he starts in 2nd. and then shifts to 4th. in all of the shifts there was only ONE shift, MAYBE sometimes 2, but never 3 and almost always missed a gear and ground some.

Through all that weird shifting and over revving you could not really tell how well the F.I. worked.

There are many Brands of F.I. Kits out there, never heard of this one, and it would not be my choice at all.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Rich I guess you forgot this thread you read and commented on?

Dan White
          64 R1 GT
          64 R2 GT
          58 C Cab
          57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Originally posted by Dan White View Post
            Rich I guess you forgot this thread you read and commented on?

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ghlight=Fitech
            Darn Dan, you beat me to it!
            Paul
            Winston-Salem, NC
            Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

The Chev 5 window pickup I installed the 383 a couple of weeks ago now has the FiTech on it and ready to start learning. Once the correct distributor(with vacuum advance) shows up we'll see how well it works out. I'll keep you posted to see if it works as good as it looks and the price is now under $800.00! This may be the way of the future for us hot rodders, particularly here in Arizona where the heat factor problems are eradicated with injection.
              Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
                The Chev 5 window pickup I installed the 383 a couple of weeks ago now has the FiTech on it and ready to start learning. Once the correct distributor(with vacuum advance) shows up we'll see how well it works out. I'll keep you posted to see if it works as good as it looks and the price is now under $800.00! This may be the way of the future for us hot rodders, particularly here in Arizona where the heat factor problems are eradicated with injection.
                Bill
                Bill, keep us posted on progress!
                Paul
                Winston-Salem, NC
                Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Just wondering, would the 5 speed o.d trans compare to the T-98 trans. as in using/starting out in 1st gear only when hauling a good load,otherwise starting out in 2nd gear ? also would this guys set up be loads of fun with a 3 speed o.d trans or what

Originally posted by Dan White View Post
                  I did not see that anyone has posted this yet, although it dates back to last July. Looks like Fi Tech has a real winner and may be considered standard replacements on our engines:

1956 Studebaker Transtar Pickup 259 V8 with new Fitech fuel injection

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x45B_aRywrs
                  Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

How long does it take to learn, and while in the learning curve wouldn't you want to be using all the gears?
                    Last edited by TWChamp; 01-22-2018, 01:44 PM.

Comment

FiTech was the least expensive add on fuel injection for a while, but now Holley and others have come down a bit. The feedback that I read on the FiTech model indicated that they had some problems with their fuel module, ( booster pump) setup, but had made modifications.
                      Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

I installed the FITech EFI system on an ElCamino (really a GMC Caballero, but who ever heard of one of those?). It works fine, but has failed three times now when there was a 'no start' condition from cold. The solution in all 3 cases was to unplug the dash mounted control panel, and reconnect it. $799 from Summit was too cheap to not give it a go. I really don't agree with using the fuel command module with no return to the tank, as it's really easier in the long run to just install the return line, and then you get the fuel circulating back to the tank and cooling (less chance of vapor lock), no 'short stop' over pressurizing, no need to find room for another sizable gizmo, one less fuel pump, etc. Ideally, an in tank pump is best, but if you go with and external pump, keep it low and as close to the tank as possible.

HOWEVER, this $799 FItech system will not control your ignition timing. You gotta pony up for the more expensive unit for that, and ignition timing is where you can get more power out of your engine, and increased fuel economy. To do that, you probably also need a GM HEI distributor, though there are some others that will work, just NOT any standard Studebaker distributor.

For much cheaper, you can do a GM TBI system with EBL, which allows you to do all the tuning any human could want, easily, without special prom burners or any of that mess. It is for sure more of a DIY setup, but not really too difficult, just basic stuff anyone can master. After all, I successfully installed that system on my GMC Motorhome which works great, and I've been called an idiot by more than one person in my life! If you are even more intelligence challenged than me, the FITech setup is for you, it doesn't get any easier to install EFI than that.

But,here is something to consider: If you install FITech or Holly, or Etc. EFI, and you are on a cross country trip when the ECU fails or some other sensor fails, who ya ganna call? Not the local Napa store. With the GM TBI system, Napa has all the parts you will ever need, as does a roadside junk yard.

JMHO
                        Corley

Comment

Just a note on the GM vs Aftermarket TPI setups as I have one of each. One can argue that the parts are more available with the GM setup but one caution. The GM ECM needs a custom chip to take away the EGR, disable the security parameters and remove the airbag. If it goes you would need to order one so my guess is you are sitting in a motel until Fedex brings the chip or part from Holley, FiTech etc. The HEI GM dissy and TPI sensors are probably also becoming hard to find on the shelf at your FLAPS.

Don't get me wrong the GM system is a good choice but so are the aftermarket units from the better manufactures.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                            The GM ECM needs a custom chip to take away the EGR, disable the security parameters and remove the airbag.

Bob
                            Bob, What you say is true for most GM EFI systems, but not exactly true for the EBL system. The EBL system replaces the "chip" with 8 EEprom arrays. Therefore, there is no need for a special "chip", but instead there IS need for the EBL addon board. The bad news: With EBL, the daughter board is soldered onto the ECU, making it difficult to do a field change of the ECU. The good news: Because it is a writable array it can hold 8 different 'versions' or custom configurations, and you can easily change any setting/parameter you like, then download a new bin file to one of those 8 locations. You can then select which of the 8 bin files you would like to run on today. Easy Peasy, to modify "prom" settings using a laptop. Plus, you can use the laptop connection to monitor everything in real time, as the car is being driven. Maybe you get the picture, I think EBL is great, but it does have that one limitation of a soldered on daughter board, so a unique ECM.

I suppose you pays your money and takes your chances, but I've never had an ECM fail yet... Several sensors failures, but never the ECM. Of course, there is not much wrong with a good old carburetor either... Since it is all in the name of fun, your money, your choice. I just like the techy approach.
                            Corley

Comment

FiTech

Paul & others,
                              FiTech update.
                              Although I personally wasn't in on the initial fire up, here is how things unfolded.
                              With the proper distributor installed, correct basic parameters entered, hookups performed, it started right up but after shutdown, refused to restart. Their helpline walked my pal through the hookups and solved the injector pulse wire power source. This is NOT the fault of FiTech, but their technician was very thorough in resolving our problem. The motor(383) seems to be very responsive and is still in the "learning" mode. More updates after I get some road test time, but my initial impression is very positive.
                              Bill

Comment

Working...
                              X