Thread: Fuel/Transmission linkage Questions 51 Commander

Fuel/Transmission linkage Questions 51 Commander

So I could not find an Automatic drive detent linkage for the 51 Commander yet. I managed to fabricate one for now. However I have to guess on the length. I used the parts guide to help me figure out how it connects. However my bell crank area does not look the same as the setup in the manual. Are there different configurations to the setup? Does anyone have pics of the accelerator setup and transmission detent setup? I can send pictures of mine if it helps.
    Jim
    51 Studebaker Starlight State Commander Coupe
    53 Studebaker Starlight Regal Commander Coupe
    62 Volvo PV544 Sport

I thought all that info I gave you about where to look for good Pics in the Chassis Parts Catalog would have done it for you. ???

Over here on Post #5:
    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...54#post1091554

That is the Throttle Pressure Rod on the small Bellcrank on the #2 Crossmember, not the Shift Linkage.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

The manual shows the connections just fine. It does not look like how mine are connected. There has to be a reason why the previous owner left off the transmission/detent linkage. He threaded a bolt through the bell crank.
    62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Did we ever determine for sure that this IS a DG150, DG200 or whatever, Detroit Gear Trans. as it should be? Maybe he put a Flight-O-Matic in it?

Previous owners are known for jury rigging. Maybe they could not find the right part, maybe they were too lazy, or maybe they were just hack mechanics. You have to remember that for many years, Studebaker got no respect among the used car community.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Added pics

The trans is a DG150. Original. The first two pics show how the linkage is supposed to be based on the manual. I have highlighted the areas that are not the same. The manual shows the bell crank(blue arrow) as one piece. Mine does not attach this way. You see how mine attaches in pics 5 and 6. With the new transmission linkage the gas pedal stick full open. May just be the wrong length and need to be corrected. Thoughts?

62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Silver Hawk Member
    Can't see clearly from your pictures, but it looks to me like the lower bellcrank (0312-6) in your car is home-made, and lacks an arm. So that your transmission linkage raod is being moved the wrong way.

Also, the carb linkage rod is set up wrong. The little teardop tab is spring attachment to the linkage rod, and it should be right up front near the carb, with one spring anchored in the hole in the firewall bellcrank bracket. And the two nuts should be set such that, with no pressure on the gas pedal, the throttle can be fully closed, and the pivot block just touches the rear nut. Then you you spin down the front nut, and tighten it. That correctly sets the length of the linkage rod.
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Silver Hawk Member
    Well, I just took the lower throttle bellcrank out of my '51 here in AJ. It doesn't look like the one in the illustration, and has been modified, to boot, so as to work a WW carb. But it probably could be rejiggered into a reasonable facsimile of the 0312-6. Give me a phone call if you want it. I don't expect to need it, because if I put a 259 in the car, I will go with the vertical bellcrank that runs up the rear of the left head.
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands