Thread: 64 Avanti Battery Drain

Commander Member

64 Avanti Battery Drain

Have had difficulty with battery drain in my 64 Avanti R1. After sitting a long time, battery is dead with no switches or lights having been left on. (It had also set in the garage with temperatures freezing and snow outside.) Performed an amps test between battery positive terminal and positive lead going to rest of car. On the 250 milliamps setting, it reads 50 milliamps with the battery fully charged and nothing switched on. Is this normal? I do have a brand new battery in the car now which cranks and starts fine. Is there something draining or is the 50 milliamps draw normal?

President Member
    Your clock can draw that much.

Do you have a modern radio in the car? The "keep alive" connection for the push button memory draws enough to drain the battery.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Commander Member
    Yes, I do, RadioRoy. Didn't know it would drain that much, though. I have a modern radio in my '65 Mustang also and haven't had battery issues to this extent. But I hear what you say, thanks for the tip!

How long is "a long time"? If the battery was iffy to begin with it could just be nature taking its course. Modern cars that are rolling computers will drain a full and strong battery within about a month if left to sit.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Johnson View Post
    Yes, I do, RadioRoy. Didn't know it would drain that much, though. I have a modern radio in my '65 Mustang also and haven't had battery issues to this extent. But I hear what you say, thanks for the tip!
    I put a modern radio in my 54 and the battery was dead in a week or two. Guess I need to build one of my own radios for it.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

President Member
    It's the clock....
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Commander Member
    Ted Johnson;
    The clock (unless it has been changed) would be a intermittent draw. Each time the clock is wound. The memory radio would be a steady draw. With nothing on; in a regular Avanti the only thing drawing current should be the clock. A good reason to disconnect the battery when the car is parked. Safer that way.
    On my 95 Chevy diesel truck I had to remove the fuse from the radios memory; could not hear the radio anyway once the engine was running. The radio still worked; just had to retune it every time, if I wanted to listen to it.
    Ron

Golden Hawk Member
    If your battery is good, the clock should not draw it down in a week unless the clock is not the original type or the points are stuck resulting in a steady drain.
    I just noticed that you said; "a long time". I do not know how long that is. If it is more than a week or two, a lot of things, including the clock, may draw the battery down.
    I know of people with show cars who installed a small toggle switch hidden under the dash to disconnect power from the clock when they will not be using the car.
    If you are going to leave the car sit unused for weeks, I would suggest either disconnecting the battery or using a good battery maintainer on it.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer