3sp floorshift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: 3sp floorshift

Hello,One cold day recently I wanted to take my Hawk out and went to shift on column and remembered how the greased linkage will congeal and I gave up on wrestling it.I'm looking for a floor shifter, a friend of mine has an older Hurst in his Hawk done by previous owner. Any ideas where I could look? I'm also looking for an overdrive transmission preferably the T85 . Thanks Mike Earle

If you can wait until April when we get back home, I have the entire transmission and floor shifter which I took out of my Sky Hawk...including bell housing, fly wheel, entire clutch/pressure plate, release bearing, and OD unit.

Comment

Yes, the older Hursts are the absolute best. Swap meets and eBay.

Yes, the currently available Hurst Indy is OK and is available everywhere.

Yes, the T85 is the strongest of the 3-speeds. When buying a 3-speed, be aware there are short tailshaft fixed yoke pickup T89/ '56 Packard GH versions and the long tailshaft slip yoke versions.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

Wow, Yes I can wait just making plans for spring. email at powerwagon61@hotmail.com or call 856 278 3208 at your convenience, I'm in south jersey. Thanks for your reply Mike

Comment

I have a N.OS. T85 for the 1958 Packard Hawk or Golden Hawk new in the crate
          for $1200.00.
          Robert Kapteyn
          studebaker@mac.com

Comment

Originally posted by rkapteyn View Post
            I have a N.OS. T85 for the 1958 Packard Hawk or Golden Hawk new in the crate
            for $1200.00.
            Robert Kapteyn
            studebaker@mac.com
            I ran one of those in a GT for 100,000 miles and it was the cat's meow. I was a fool to swap it out for a T86, but then went back to a T85 later. Bought it NOS from Lester Schmidt, back in the day.

Does it include the slip yoke? That is a very hard to find part, perhaps even harder than the transmission itself (Lester said). So hopefully yours has the yoke with it.

Comment

There is a Hurst 3 speed shifter on eBay now. Item 282802422319.
              Perry
              \'50 Business Champion
              \'50 Starlight Champion
              \'60 Lark Convertible,
              \'63 GT R1,
              \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

The entire package was taken out of my 56 Sky Hawk, from the crankshaft back...including the fly wheel, and slip yoke...

Comment

Originally posted by 345 DeSoto View Post
                  The entire package was taken out of my 56 Sky Hawk, from the crankshaft back...including the fly wheel, and slip yoke...
                  The '56 Sky Hawk is a short tailshaft fixed yoke square bolt pattern T86; correct? What year is the Jersey Hawk?

jack vines
                  PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by fpstude View Post
                    There is a Hurst 3 speed shifter on eBay now. Item 282802422319.
                    This shifter is at $70 right now with 22 hours left. Its a steal at this price. Probably a good deal at twice the price. It has all the linkage with it.
                    sals54

Comment

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
                      This shifter is at $70 right now with 22 hours left. Its a steal at this price. Probably a good deal at twice the price. It has all the linkage with it.
                      That's the Indy; a decent shifter, but not one to fight over. However, as Sal says, it's a deal - they're a lot more retail.

jack vines
                      PackardV8

Comment

I have an INDY in my Hawk. It is not great, but it does its job. I paid a lot more than $70 for mine new about 4 years ago.
                        Wayne
                        "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                          The '56 Sky Hawk is a short tailshaft fixed yoke square bolt pattern T86; correct? What year is the Jersey Hawk?

jack vines
                          My Hawk is a '61 and looks like a long shaft

Comment

Originally posted by Jersey Hawk View Post
                            My Hawk is a '61 and looks like a long shaft
                            The long tailshaft T85s are very rare. Only the Golden/Packard Hawks and a very few President/taxi/police cars had them.

jack vines
                            PackardV8

Comment

I wouldn't waste my time with a Hurst Indy shifter, and certainly at the prices they want for them these days. The last one I bought was new and a LOT less than $70, but some years ago, long before ebay. It was a POS, constantly jamming. I still have the lever, it's welded to the shifter I made to replace it, which has never jammed.

Comment

Working...
                              X