Thread: 3sp floorshift

Commander Member

3sp floorshift

Hello,One cold day recently I wanted to take my Hawk out and went to shift on column and remembered how the greased linkage will congeal and I gave up on wrestling it.I'm looking for a floor shifter, a friend of mine has an older Hurst in his Hawk done by previous owner. Any ideas where I could look? I'm also looking for an overdrive transmission preferably the T85 . Thanks Mike Earle

If you can wait until April when we get back home, I have the entire transmission and floor shifter which I took out of my Sky Hawk...including bell housing, fly wheel, entire clutch/pressure plate, release bearing, and OD unit.

Silver Hawk Member
    Yes, the older Hursts are the absolute best. Swap meets and eBay.

Yes, the currently available Hurst Indy is OK and is available everywhere.

Yes, the T85 is the strongest of the 3-speeds. When buying a 3-speed, be aware there are short tailshaft fixed yoke pickup T89/ '56 Packard GH versions and the long tailshaft slip yoke versions.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Commander Member
    Wow, Yes I can wait just making plans for spring. email at powerwagon61@hotmail.com or call 856 278 3208 at your convenience, I'm in south jersey. Thanks for your reply Mike

President Member
    I have a N.OS. T85 for the 1958 Packard Hawk or Golden Hawk new in the crate
    for $1200.00.
    Robert Kapteyn
    studebaker@mac.com

Quote Originally Posted by rkapteyn View Post
    I have a N.OS. T85 for the 1958 Packard Hawk or Golden Hawk new in the crate
    for $1200.00.
    Robert Kapteyn
    studebaker@mac.com
    I ran one of those in a GT for 100,000 miles and it was the cat's meow. I was a fool to swap it out for a T86, but then went back to a T85 later. Bought it NOS from Lester Schmidt, back in the day.

Does it include the slip yoke? That is a very hard to find part, perhaps even harder than the transmission itself (Lester said). So hopefully yours has the yoke with it.

President Member
    There is a Hurst 3 speed shifter on eBay now. Item 282802422319.
    Perry
    \'50 Business Champ,
    \'50 Starlight Champ,
    \'60 Lark Convertible,
    \'63 GT R1,
    \'67 Triumph TR4A

The entire package was taken out of my 56 Sky Hawk, from the crankshaft back...including the fly wheel, and slip yoke...

Silver Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 345 DeSoto View Post
    The entire package was taken out of my 56 Sky Hawk, from the crankshaft back...including the fly wheel, and slip yoke...
    The '56 Sky Hawk is a short tailshaft fixed yoke square bolt pattern T86; correct? What year is the Jersey Hawk?

jack vines
    PackardV8

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fpstude View Post
    There is a Hurst 3 speed shifter on eBay now. Item 282802422319.
    This shifter is at $70 right now with 22 hours left. Its a steal at this price. Probably a good deal at twice the price. It has all the linkage with it.
    sals54

Silver Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sals54 View Post
    This shifter is at $70 right now with 22 hours left. Its a steal at this price. Probably a good deal at twice the price. It has all the linkage with it.
    That's the Indy; a decent shifter, but not one to fight over. However, as Sal says, it's a deal - they're a lot more retail.

jack vines
    PackardV8

I have an INDY in my Hawk. It is not great, but it does its job. I paid a lot more than $70 for mine new about 4 years ago.
    Wayne
    "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

Commander Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PackardV8 View Post
    The '56 Sky Hawk is a short tailshaft fixed yoke square bolt pattern T86; correct? What year is the Jersey Hawk?

jack vines
    My Hawk is a '61 and looks like a long shaft

Silver Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Hawk View Post
    My Hawk is a '61 and looks like a long shaft
    The long tailshaft T85s are very rare. Only the Golden/Packard Hawks and a very few President/taxi/police cars had them.

jack vines
    PackardV8

I wouldn't waste my time with a Hurst Indy shifter, and certainly at the prices they want for them these days. The last one I bought was new and a LOT less than $70, but some years ago, long before ebay. It was a POS, constantly jamming. I still have the lever, it's welded to the shifter I made to replace it, which has never jammed.

The long tailshaft T85s are very rare. Only the Golden/Packard Hawks and a very few President/taxi/police cars had them.

jack vines
    Agree Jack,
    Only one year (1958) GH and PH had the long tail.
    Joe H

Commander Member
    Ok, How about a T85 out of a '57 GH and is it a just a matter of altering driveshaft length or yoke? Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Hawk View Post
    Ok, How about a T85 out of a '57 GH and is it a just a matter of altering driveshaft length or yoke? Mike
    You would need to have a Custom splined, Slip Yoke made to allow for Differential movement to use a One Piece Driveshaft with a Bolted Yoke Transmission and there MAY be a lot of vibration or not even doable at all with that Long a shaft.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Commander Member
    Now I'm really confused I'd better take a closer look at what I have here, Thanks for the input Mike

Silver Hawk Member
    Is there any known reason the earlier transmission and two-piece driveshaft could not be retrofitted to the later cars?

jack vines
    PackardV8

Speedster Member Stude Shoo-wop!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It seems to me that the long-shafted Hurst shifters are the better ones to have them the more common short-shafted version. Only problem is long shaft versions are pretty rare, only being offered on Golden Hawks and some taxis and police cars. If you can’t find one, a short shaft should do just fine.
    Jake Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - completely finished in driveable condition.

Speedster Member
    My '61 Hawk has a short tail '56 trans. and a two piece driveshaft. The driveshaft is not from the '56, don't know what it is from. The guy I got the car from put the part of the center cross member, bolted thru the floor, in. I have a little vibration when braking from hiway speed, but it's tolerable. I have driven the car since 2009 with this set-up with no other problems. Gonna go 4 speed soon!- Jim

President Member
    FYI, Ford also used a T85-od long tail shaft in about 59-60. The input shaft is different. Ran one in my 54 3R11-289 for years. Custom pilot bushing and clutch disc.

Is there any known reason the earlier transmission and two-piece driveshaft could not be retrofitted to the later cars?

jack vines
    Would the crossmember be there for the carrier bearing? That might be the biggest difference.

Speedster Member
    No,if your Hawk is '58 or newer, you would need to get a center cross member and the parts for the carrier bearing. I think most of the parts can be had from S.I. or a parts car.-Jim

Commander Member
    OK,I measured from bellhousing to end of tailshaft and have 28" and the yoke looks like it slips into it, end of tailshaft to the main body of trans is 18 1/2" with a one piece driveshaft.What would be the easiest conversion to an o/d trans

Just to be CLEAR after 26 Posts. OK, so now we talking about your original 3 Speed Manual Long Tail correct '61 Hawk T-86 Direct, no O.D. Trans. correct?

This just tells us what we knew, you have the stock long Tail T-86 with 6 Top Cover Bolts.

The One Piece Driveshaft IS even the same correct Length for the Overdrive.
    1549408 51 13/32" center of "U" Joint Cup to same at the other end, if it still has it's Original Model 44 Rear Axle.

Now you are back to searching for someone selling a good used 1958 to 1964 Stude. V8, T-86 Long Tail OVERDRIVE Trans. that will easily Bolt in with a few simple electrical upgrades for the O.D. Circuits and a Kickdown Switch which is available new at Studebaker Vendors.

OH, and then there is also the Original Question about a Floor Shifter, it will take one that the Brackets can be modified to get around the Overdrive Solenoid, not too hard to find and accomplish.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 01-22-2018 at 10:35 PM.

President Member
    .The setup above looks pretty good. I presume it has a third point of mounting? If so, I would seriously consider having it welded in position, (not welded to the transmission). Those bolts are notorious for coming loose in the most inconvenient times. You don't want to have to crawl under the car to tighten up a loose bolt in your powder blue tux on prom night, right?
    sals54

Speedster Member
    Use blue loktite and lock washers. Never had one come loose yet. -Jim

Commander Member
    OK StudeRich Thanks for clearing up a couple things I think 345 DeSoto has the right setup and looking forward to checking that out. I'm new to the world of Studebakers and really appreciate all the advice. This is a great American hobby and pursuit worth preserving