3sp floorshift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
    The long tailshaft T85s are very rare. Only the Golden/Packard Hawks and a very few President/taxi/police cars had them.

jack vines
    Agree Jack,
    Only one year (1958) GH and PH had the long tail.
    Joe H

Comment

Ok, How about a T85 out of a '57 GH and is it a just a matter of altering driveshaft length or yoke? Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Jersey Hawk View Post
        Ok, How about a T85 out of a '57 GH and is it a just a matter of altering driveshaft length or yoke? Mike
        You would need to have a Custom splined, Slip Yoke made to allow for Differential movement to use a One Piece Driveshaft with a Bolted Yoke Transmission and there MAY be a lot of vibration or not even doable at all with that Long a shaft.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Now I'm really confused I'd better take a closer look at what I have here, Thanks for the input Mike

Comment

Is there any known reason the earlier transmission and two-piece driveshaft could not be retrofitted to the later cars?

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

It seems to me that the long-shafted Hurst shifters are the better ones to have them the more common short-shafted version. Only problem is long shaft versions are pretty rare, only being offered on Golden Hawks and some taxis and police cars. If you can’t find one, a short shaft should do just fine.
              Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Comment

My '61 Hawk has a short tail '56 trans. and a two piece driveshaft. The driveshaft is not from the '56, don't know what it is from. The guy I got the car from put the part of the center cross member, bolted thru the floor, in. I have a little vibration when braking from hiway speed, but it's tolerable. I have driven the car since 2009 with this set-up with no other problems. Gonna go 4 speed soon!- Jim

Comment

FYI, Ford also used a T85-od long tail shaft in about 59-60. The input shaft is different. Ran one in my 54 3R11-289 for years. Custom pilot bushing and clutch disc.

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                    Is there any known reason the earlier transmission and two-piece driveshaft could not be retrofitted to the later cars?

jack vines
                    Would the crossmember be there for the carrier bearing? That might be the biggest difference.

Comment

No,if your Hawk is '58 or newer, you would need to get a center cross member and the parts for the carrier bearing. I think most of the parts can be had from S.I. or a parts car.-Jim

Comment

OK,I measured from bellhousing to end of tailshaft and have 28" and the yoke looks like it slips into it, end of tailshaft to the main body of trans is 18 1/2" with a one piece driveshaft.What would be the easiest conversion to an o/d trans

Comment

Just to be CLEAR after 26 Posts. OK, so now we talking about your original 3 Speed Manual Long Tail correct '61 Hawk T-86 Direct, no O.D. Trans. correct?

This just tells us what we knew, you have the stock long Tail T-86 with 6 Top Cover Bolts.

The One Piece Driveshaft IS even the same correct Length for the Overdrive.
                          1549408 51 13/32" center of "U" Joint Cup to same at the other end, if it still has it's Original Model 44 Rear Axle.

Now you are back to searching for someone selling a good used 1958 to 1964 Stude. V8, T-86 Long Tail OVERDRIVE Trans. that will easily Bolt in with a few simple electrical upgrades for the O.D. Circuits and a Kickdown Switch which is available new at Studebaker Vendors.

OH, and then there is also the Original Question about a Floor Shifter, it will take one that the Brackets can be modified to get around the Overdrive Solenoid, not too hard to find and accomplish.
                          Last edited by StudeRich; 01-22-2018, 08:35 PM.
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Shifter #2.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	1718078Click image for larger version

Name:	Shifter #3.jpg
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	1718079Click image for larger version

Name:	Shifter #1.jpg
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	1718080

Comment

.The setup above looks pretty good. I presume it has a third point of mounting? If so, I would seriously consider having it welded in position, (not welded to the transmission). Those bolts are notorious for coming loose in the most inconvenient times. You don't want to have to crawl under the car to tighten up a loose bolt in your powder blue tux on prom night, right?
                              sals54

Comment

Use blue loktite and lock washers. Never had one come loose yet. -Jim

Comment

Working...
                                X