No announcement yet.

1941 Commander Needs Horn,& Seat Belts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1941 Commander Needs Horn,& Seat Belts?

I have just recently purchased a 1941 Commander 4 dr sedan. It was a complete restoration in 2014. I noticed while I was negotiating a few things that hadn't been replaced during the restoration. First is the Horn, I can't find anywhere under the hood where this is or was located? So I am sure I will have to install, and when I do I want as close to original as I can get, and to attach it where it should be as it came off the line. I think I have a missing control nob for the heater? On the dash board just under the plate where the radio is are the 3 nobs that control the heat. The far right is for the defrost, the middle is a cable of some sort that when pull the heat box under the seat begins to warm-up. The one on the left is the light switch? I think this was put there by mistake, or does it belong there? If not what does, and where does the light switch belong? I also would be interested for a safety issue, on installing seat belts? If I do, I would like to be able to push them down to hide them while I show the car? Any suggestion?

Hope this page of the owners guide will help. Click on it to enlarge. I think the horns are behind the grill. Do you have a manual yet? There's a used '41 shop manual on ebay now, priced accordingly.

Click image for larger version

Name:	41comm.dash.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	1717919
    Last edited by Dwain G.; 01-12-2018, 08:40 PM. Reason: additional
    Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Dwain, Thank you so much for your reply. No I do not have a manual, and have be wondering where to obtain one? The picture you sent has got me all exited , that I can match nobs to my questions. I will definitely check out the used manual on ebay.

Thanks again!

Bruce

Comment

Dwain,

Is that picture taken from the shop manual, or is it from another manual?

Comment

That photo is probably from the owner's manual.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce View Post
            Dwain,

Is that picture taken from the shop manual, or is it from another manual?
            From the owner's manual, and I can send you the link direct if you need to see it larger. The cheap manual I saw on ebay is gone now, but they appear fairly often. You can also buy them from most of the SDC vendors in reprint or on a disc.
            Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Re seat belts: Since seat belts were not originally available for your car, you can add any kind you want. The simplest would be the common lap belts that bolt to the floor behind the rear edge of the front seat. You can always pull them back and stick them under the seat if you don't want them showing at a show. Stude Intl sells reproductions of the OEM early 1960s lap belts that have a Studebaker emblem on them. But plain unmarked belts are also available lots of places.

FYI; Neither SDC not any other car clubs (to my knowledge) deduct points for non-authentic belts in a car that didn't originally have them available.
              Skip Lackie

Comment

This Thank you goes out to 62 Champ, Dwain, and Skip

You Guys are great with all your info! Dwain, I will check SDC vendors. Skip I will check the OEM belts out to see if I can get a color match and of course the cost? Which I may just go with the plain unmarked.

Thanks Again!

Bruce

Comment

Shrock Brothers are good for knobs and smaller iterms. They are in Pennsylvania and should be found in the Studebaker vendors list.

Comment

You should check with Studebaker International for the heater knob. I'm not sure of the horns. They're usually behind the radiator, but I'm not sure about your Commander. The '41s are beautiful cars. Lots of luck with yours. Stude International has in stock the service manuals that could help you.
                    Rog
                    '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                    Smithtown,NY
                    Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Thanks Sam

Comment

Raprice

I will check out Studebaker International on the nobs, and the horns. This 41 is all new to me, for I have two vehicles each of which are as far apart on the automobile spectrum as they can get. My other is a 2008 Mazda Miata MX-5 GT. It is a Street/Track/Autocross set-up, which I truly enjoy. I have always enjoyed older, and classic cars, and have always wanted one from the late 30's to early 40's. After a year of checking cars out all across the country, I came upon the 41, to say the least, I have almost forgot about the Miata, but will not get rid of it. I love the sport of track and Autocross.

The 41 has got me all Gitty, and the Studebaker Drivers Club and forum and people on the forum like yourself have been so helpful in making me a little at ease by being so helpful with my question.

Thanks Again

Bruce

Comment

The horns are under the hump in front of the radiator. I still have 3 41s and have owned dozens. Parted out many. Let me know if the horns are missing.

Comment

Studerex

Thanks for that info, I will check on that Monday, and get back to you.

Bruce

Comment

Reprints are available for the Shop Manual, Chassis Parts Catalog and Body Parts Catalog.
                              These are good for the chassis and body catalogs but the images are dark and blurred in the reprinted shop manual.
                              Original shop manual images are clear and clean.
                              I think there is a CD available for the manual and catalogs. I don't know if the shop manual on that is from an original or a reprint.
                              Vendors use the original Studebaker parts numbers so the body and chassis catalogs are needed when ordering parts.
                              South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Working...
                              X