Chuck Naugle's 1937 J30M Cab-Forward 3-ton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chuck Naugle's 1937 J30M Cab-Forward 3-ton

Chuck's family is attempting to obtain a title for his '37 3-ton truck. The truck is also known as "001" since it was the first J30M built. And it was prominently displayed on the cover of the February 2013 Turning Wheels. The problem encountered is determining a "fair market value" of the truck so they can proceed with the Department of Motor Vehicles. It would be immensely helpful if anyone could guide us to history of documented sales of other cab-forward trucks from this era; or any other way to determine a fair value. We've tried local appraisers but keep hitting dead-ends. Any help will be greatly appreciated!
    Mike Lynch
    Sunnyslope, AZ

"Be kind and civil. Allow that you may be mistaken; allow that others will make mistakes, be gracious. If you're going to contribute, try to make it worthwhile."
    Alan Taylor

I can't imagine a better source than Dick Quinn. Why not contact him directly?

And this again brings up my Mantra: If you love your family or those who will dispose of your Estate, straighten out the titles for your cars and trucks before you pass away. It's a sure bet you know more about the situation than they will after you're gone. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Thanks Bob, we'll do it!
      Mike Lynch
      Sunnyslope, AZ

"Be kind and civil. Allow that you may be mistaken; allow that others will make mistakes, be gracious. If you're going to contribute, try to make it worthwhile."
      Alan Taylor

Comment

I am not familiar with the truck, nor its condition. But, if the condition is poor (rusted, not running etc.) the fair market value might just be its scrape (weight) value. Otherwise I'd scour the internet to see what similar (years/types) trucks might have sold for. I'm sure they just want a valuation for tax purposes. A few times I've been asked at the Calif. DMV for cars given to me and I simply stated a CASO like $200 and it was accepted without question. Does the AZ DMV have expectation of a written value with justification, or did they just ask for a value and the family was clueless?

As stated above I just threw out a number (though I did feel was close to the true value of a free car) without issue. It may be that similar would work in their case. In any case the use tax looks like it is roughly 5%. Or, $50 per $1,000. So, if a good guess was made and and they were off by a little the cost shouldn't be too much.
        '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Thanks wittsend, if the DMV was being a bit more cooperative that would work but as of right now DMV wants to price it at about 3 times the amount Chuck had into it. That puts the bond WAY too high. And we've done some internet searching for value but since it was 1 of 35 it's like looking for the proverbial "needle in a haystack"!
          Mike Lynch
          Sunnyslope, AZ

Alan Taylor

Comment

A J20 is STILL a 1937 Studebaker HD Truck, I would think that would be a whole lot more common comparable Truck, there are at least "Some" left, where there are likely NO J30's.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I don't know how AZ works on resale tax, but in WA there is no tax on a vehicle given to other family members.
              Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post
                I don't know how AZ works on resale tax, but in WA there is no tax on a vehicle given to other family members.
                Yeah Dwain, we have been there done that, with those Crooks at the Wash. Franchise Tax Board, they got us for the FULL Sales Tax on Family Gift Number 2 and 3 on the SAME 2000 E-350 Ford Super Duty Truck!
                It's Free ONE Time Only!
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I like pictures so had to post 001
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08750.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	1717911
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08752.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	1717912

Comment

The truck looks great but I also like the old tire machine. I've changed many tires on a machine like that.
                    james r pepper

Comment

JP, That looks like the Coats Iron Man 990 that we had a a Signal Oil station in Sunland in the late 50's. The bugger about those was you couldn't get splined wheels like for MG's on them.

Comment

Ralph Snyder sold his one of sleeper cab K30m for if I remember correctly $40,000.

Jerry Kurtz

Comment

Originally posted by asesolen View Post
                          Thanks wittsend, if the DMV was being a bit more cooperative that would work but as of right now DMV wants to price it at about 3 times the amount Chuck had into it. That puts the bond WAY too high. And we've done some internet searching for value but since it was 1 of 35 it's like looking for the proverbial "needle in a haystack"!
                          I'm assuming the greater issue is getting a Bonded Title more than use tax fee??? If the DMV wants to price it at 3X the investment then perhaps (assuming receipts) that can be a basis for rguing the value?
                          '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

When I got a bonded title on my 55 speedster, I went to a private DMV located on Speedway Blvd in Tucson. They sent out an private inspector (car was disassembled) and they looked at it as a 1955 Studebaker President. Looked at Serial Tag then sent off for a 6 week inspection at DMV for any prior registration. The private company that processed the title placed the value of the vehicle and also issued the bond. As the lady explained to me, value is subject even as I knew that the value was placed at a ridiculous high figure but the bond was not that high. Cost for the inspection: 125.00. Cost for the bond 145.00. Title and registration was 30.00. The law had change in Arizona that to title and register the car was cheaper that just title alone.

The line is this is a truck that is rare but if DMV processes it as a 1937 truck, instead of all the designations we all know, it will be probably cheaper. Just be sure enough is put on the title to convey the identity. Bonded titles in Arizona are good for three years then a regular title can replace it for $20.00.

My late friend Kelly went for 18 months round and round and round on getting a title for a 1960 Lark down but complete except missing the flathead. He would call and talk about everyone he went through with the state until they finally issued a title. He got the title for what the state charges but spent 18 months and countless hours talking to innumerable people. I paid a bit more but had a title in 6 weeks clean and a plate for the car also. Since I was not having it insured, they issued a tag and plate but then suspended if for proof of insurance so I would not be contact after registration for proof of insurance.

Hope this helps

Bob Miles
                            Tucson AZ

Comment

In California it would be no problem getting a new title, a vin. verification, statement of fact, new registration form, no-op form, if you just want a title only and about $45.00 and about $50 for the verification, more if you want new plates and sticker. put a price and let new owner figure it out.
                              Candbstudebakers
                              Castro Valley,
                              California

Comment

Working...
                              X