I guess it is not an automatic.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I guess it is not an automatic.

I saw this ad in a local marketplace post. You can feel the sellers frustration.

MANUAL TRANSMISSION 1993 Dodge Dakota Sport. 64,409 original miles. Doesn’t look pretty, needs paint job but starts right up and runs great. Manual Trans $1300 I can not say this enough, MANUAL TRANSMISSION, this is NOT an AUTOMATIC. And for people having difficulty with that, it’s a stick shift, manual means you have to shift it, it DOES NOT SHIFT ITSELF.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

I can still imaging they will get calls from people asking him to explain what a MANUAL transmission is. Or, that the inquiring person will assume that, "it DOES NOT SHIFT ITSELF" means the driver has to move the lever from "P" to "D." And, not that you just say, "Alexa, put the car in Drive." LOL
    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Manual Transmissions versus Older Automatic Transmissions

Well -- I have owned ten Studebakers since 1961 -- of which nine had manual transmissions and one was an automatic. As far as my experience is concerned, that was one too many with an automatic.

I have had three-speeds with and without overdrive and also a four-speed in a GT Hawk -- my preference -- again based on my own experience -- is for a three speed with overdrive combined with a 259 V8 -- I have had two Studes so equipped, one of which I currently own. The four-speed was also very nice.

For myself -- I would not buy a Studebaker with an automatic -- except maybe a late model with Powershift -- and then in would need to be a really nice car!

Modern -- as in 2018 -- automatics are excellent -- better in many ways than manual shift -- automatics from the 1950's and 1960's -- not so much.

Just my opinion ---
      Bill Jackameit
      1964 Challenger Wagonaire
      1964 Daytona Sedan
      Total of 10 Studebakers owned since 1961
      Bill Jackameit's Studebaker Page online since October 1995
      https://billstudepage.homestead.com/files/studpg.htm

sigpic

Comment

I took and auto body class many years ago in which there were several young men, mostly military guys. I was working on a '55 Champion. It had a three speed with overdrive. I can't recall how many times I got asked what the third pedal was for.
        Joe Roberts
        '61 R1 Champ
        '65 Cruiser
        Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

One day a man decided to sell his crusty and well-worn, but still reliable Dodge truck. He thought that it was a straightforward deal. It had been his transportation and work wagon ever since he bought it new 25 years ago and it broke his heart to part with it but the neighbors were ramping up their complaints EN-FORCE about the "eyesore" parked on the man's front lawn. Ah well...back to the present. The first caller was a ditzy young girl hopped up on at least 3 different medications picked up at the local Methadone clinic. She twanged "Waddya mean it's got a manual? Ah gots more important things to do than to shift gears!" At this the man just scowled and hung up the phone. The second caller was a rough-sounding Iraq War veteran who took up playing the cheapest Martin he could lay his knobby hands on and was now loosely strumming out "Born in the U.S.A." while he called. "The truck sounds great but I hope it's automatic, I can't shift manual cause of the war." The man explained to him the best he could that he could shift the clutch because of its forgiving ratios but he would not hear any of it. "Huh?! Is that something you can tell Siri to do?!" the poor man was running out of luck at every turn, it seemed. As a last resort, he put another ad, this time on a billboard in front of the nearest highway. Excited, he sat down on his old Chesterfield couch and waited. He didn't have to wait long. 5 minutes later, the phone rang with all the clarity of a church bell. He sprang up excited with a grin on his face but that grin was shattered when heard what the caller said properly. "Hey man, I like the car. Just one question. What's a TRANSMISSION?" He slammed the receiver down, threw open his 19th century liquor cabinet, downed a bottle of Jack, and went stumbling outside his lonely ranch house into the street.

He.
          Was.
          DONE!
          Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Comment

Bill,

I'm no longer picky, when they were a dime a dozen I could afford to be picky. Today I take the good cars as I find them, secure in the knowledge that I can handle both.

Comment

Three on the tree. Modern theft deterrent.
              Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

Lots of times I just leave the key in my '73 4-speed daily driver Vega. First off, if they're old enough to remember Vegas, they don't want it, and secondly, I figure if they can drive it they can steal it. Just the starter safety-interlock on the clutch pedal would foil most thieves (I am certainly old enough to remember when my vehicles didn't have that)

A couple of weeks ago I did have the Vega locked in a super market parking lot and as I got in it, a woman sitting in car next to it smiled and said "I remember needing an actual key to unlock a car door". It made my day.

Tom

Comment

Was helping out on an Eagle Scout project this past Saturday, by providing the required adult leadership.
                  It's a door-to-door "collection" project kinda like Scouting for Food; that is distribute the bags one Saturday, and pick them up the next.

Anyway, my job was to sit in the back seat of the teenage girl helper's newish Mini; whilst she and another kid did the door-to-door.
                  After their first foray, I offered to drive her car and keep pace with them.

She said, "Sure, but its a stick, do you know how?"
                  I said, "I DO!!"

Was actually WAY impressed that she DID.

Comment

I was 26 years old before I owned a vehicle with an automatic, 77 Dodge Aspen bought in 1983. My moms station wagon when I was a teen had an automatic, powerglide behind a 307 to be specific. Learned to drive a stick at age 11 in a 1 ton Dodge truck. Double clutching anyone? then on to a "field car" 58 Brookwood wagon, screamin six and three on the tree.
                    Money may not buy happiness, but it's more comfortable to cry in a Mercedes than on a bicycle.

Comment

LOL. nice ad I used to drive manual, was ok, it's just a habit.

Comment

I learned on a standard and taught both my daughters to drive on a standard. My Avanti is a 4spd floor shift. I still drive a stick as my daily commute vehicle. 260000km of mostly hiway 'miles' on a modern Nissan Altima. They sure make clutches better than they used to as mine is still original to the car... mind you the '92 Nissan Sentra I taught my girls in went 250K kilometers before it needed a clutch. I finally traded that one at 457K kms. It still ran fine but the body was starting to rot away. Sound familiar?

Comment

Working...
                        X