No announcement yet.

An idea to increase SDC membership

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think a lot of it comes down to a time issue; "I don't have the time to do that". Life is a lot more "busy" for many folks, due to economic conditions the last 10 years or so. Also many younger folks end up moving due to job changes, family requirements, etc.
    As for participation in events, same problems. SDC isn't the only organization I belong to and often events are happening at the same time and I have to choose. I also travel, a lot, for my work so thats another stumbling block for me.
    I did join my local chapter, but haven't met anyone from it for 2 reasons; It seems that the only info I can find about what is going on is in the "Whats Happening" section in TW, and on the monthly get together's they are having, I have something going on. I would like to see them at a local car show, but haven't heard about them going to one. Perhaps it's discussed at the monthly get together I'm not at, so I don't know. I know they have my email so if someone were to drop me a note now and then about something going on, I would be active in the chapter.

Just my $.02
    Money may not buy happiness, but it's more comfortable to cry in a Mercedes than on a bicycle.

Comment

Originally posted by bumpkinvilledano View Post
      I think a lot of it comes down to a time issue; "I don't have the time to do that".
      Sometimes, I just can't help myself...if you really want to toy with someone's mind, enjoy a little mischief, see a little angry smoke rise from someone's head...respond to that comment by..."You mean your days are shorter than anyone else!?"

The truth behind that comment is, "I have more important things to do." Of course, most of us are too kind to be that honest. We use the "time" excuse. (guilty myself)
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
        Sometimes, I just can't help myself...if you really want to toy with someone's mind, enjoy a little mischief, see a little angry smoke rise from someone's head...respond to that comment by..."You mean your days are shorter than anyone else!?"

The truth behind that comment is, "I have more important things to do." Of course, most of us are too kind to be that honest. We use the "time" excuse. (guilty myself)
        What I think of when I see comments like "less time now" is that the people are too young to remember when people's time was taken up via more menial tasks, like shoveling snow, mowing the lawn by hand, carrying out the ashes from the furnace, drying clothes on a line, etc. (I used to do all of these and more). I worked 50 hours per week on a regular basis and thought that was good compared to the 60 to 72 that my father worked. I do remember how work travel used to cut into my personal time, but with all of today's electronic "tools", not so much.

EDIT: Two quotes come to mind.
        1) People always seem to find time to do things that they want to do.
        2) If you want to get something done, ask a busy person.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
          We might get some more members by bringing some issues to, or putting up notices at nursing homes. I'm not kidding.
          From a public service angle, this is a great idea. From an increased membership promotion, not so much. The Hamilton Chapter has participated locally in such efforts and the seniors really enjoy mixing with us but they certainly have never expressed an interest in joining.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Again, this is why I suggest an effort to contact people selling Studebakers to pass along club information to the buyers. The best time to get a new member is when they are just getting started in the hobby and want to seek out advice and parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
              We might get some more members by bringing some issues to, or putting up notices at nursing homes. I'm not kidding.
              Originally posted by Stu Chapman View Post
              From a public service angle, this is a great idea. From an increased membership promotion, not so much. The Hamilton Chapter has participated locally in such efforts and the seniors really enjoy mixing with us but they certainly have never expressed an interest in joining.

Stu Chapman
              Well, we are just a couple of weeks into this year and I have made over 8 visits to mother's nursing home. This place is a campus of twelve individual "Cottages," each with twelve private rooms, a large central dining and open community rooms centrally located. Most of the residents have difficulty with daily routine self care activities. I believe my mother is the only one with a phone, and she sometimes has trouble pushing the right buttons to use it. When you think of how compact their world becomes in such an environment, things like a card, picture of a loved one, a warm sweater, cookie, box of candy, a warm hug, and an attentive conversation, are the things that make their day. Few have good hearing, (at almost 97, Mom's hearing is better than my wife's.), most no longer have good enough vision to read. Some have televisions, but their mental capacity has difficulty keeping pace with the action, story lines, or news reports.

I suppose that some of us "car nuts" might retain our enthusiasm for our hobby, but most of the nursing home residents, I see often, are satisfied with someone assisting with a bath, helping them eat, safely transfer from the wheel chair to a comfortable recliner, or get to the bathroom, with dignity, and not falling. I don't know a single one interested in engaging me in a protracted conversation about my old car. Occasionally, we have had car gatherings and assisted the residents out to get a closeup look. They smile, and seem to enjoy the brief experience, enjoy the memories, and share experiences. In reality, they have difficulty coming up with enough money to pay for hair care, certainly none for joining a car club. This morning, I went to the business office and paid for mother's hair care, and one other resident with very little family, and no support. Sharing your car interest with nursing home residents, properly done, is a good deed. Perhaps a lousy idea for getting members, but time well spent.
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Hooking up Studebaker owners today is like an Ivory Bill Woodpecker looking for a mate. I’d imagine less than 5% are owned/driven by non-car nuts. Get your car on the road and attend non stude specific cruises and “shows”. I’ve had LOTS of people ask me where they can get a sharp looking 66 Daytona like mine...when I tell them only about 25 are out there...they sort of lose interest.

Comment

Sometimes, not always but sometimes, it really is a time issue for those of us still working. Often times I work 12 hours a day, 7 days a week. Sometimes nights, most holidays and usually out of town( as I am currently). Since the day before Thanksgiving, I have been home for 16 days.
                  It would be unfair to any organization I belong to, to take any office that I couldn't give the time needed to do it PROPERLY. If it was something I could do over the phone or computer from 800-2000 miles away I would.
                  So, I display a SDC member sticker on my car, wear Studebaker shirts or hats, and point people towards the website. Best I can do in my current situation.
                  Money may not buy happiness, but it's more comfortable to cry in a Mercedes than on a bicycle.

Comment

Well, we are just a couple of weeks into this year and I have made over 8 visits to mother's nursing home. This place is a campus of twelve individual "Cottages," each with twelve private rooms, a large central dining and open community rooms centrally located. Most of the residents have difficulty with daily routine self care activities. I believe my mother is the only one with a phone, and she sometimes has trouble pushing the right buttons to use it. When you think of how compact their world becomes in such an environment, things like a card, picture of a loved one, a warm sweater, cookie, box of candy, a warm hug, and an attentive conversation, are the things that make their day. Few have good hearing, (at almost 97, Mom's hearing is better than my wife's.), most no longer have good enough vision to read. Some have televisions, but their mental capacity has difficulty keeping pace with the action, story lines, or news reports.

I suppose that some of us "car nuts" might retain our enthusiasm for our hobby, but most of the nursing home residents, I see often, are satisfied with someone assisting with a bath, helping them eat, safely transfer from the wheel chair to a comfortable recliner, or get to the bathroom, with dignity, and not falling. I don't know a single one interested in engaging me in a protracted conversation about my old car. Occasionally, we have had car gatherings and assisted the residents out to get a closeup look. They smile, and seem to enjoy the brief experience, enjoy the memories, and share experiences. In reality, they have difficulty coming up with enough money to pay for hair care, certainly none for joining a car club. This morning, I went to the business office and paid for mother's hair care, and one other resident with very little family, and no support. Sharing your car interest with nursing home residents, properly done, is a good deed. Perhaps a lousy idea for getting members, but time well spent.
                    I didn't think it would bring a lot of members, but it would, as Stu pointed out, work as a public relations sort of idea. What I actually would like to do (and made a stab at it once) is visit nursing homes and the like with the object of collecting stories from the folks living there about their Studebaker experiences. Working with an activities director would help. Then we're doing oral history research, which is well worth while! You never know what we might learn and what friends we could make.
                    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

In my world (auto consultancy), we spend an awful lot of time speaking with manufacturers and retailers about the customer and retail strategy, the customer experience and of course, 'retention' is at the heart of it all. However, I feel SDC is still too far behind the digital and social meda curve.
                      I believe, SDC needs to up the game and really get in the mix, particularly where social media is such a 'game-changer' for consumer-based businesses. And let's face it, SDC is a consumer orientated organisation. Channels such as Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and YouTube are just some the immediate 'must do' channels that should and ought to be serviced on a daily, weekly and monthly basis.
                      Last year, the Studebaker Owners Club UK, set up a Facebook page and in the last two days we've had 7 new members join the group from around the world, Australia, UK and USA.
                      Sure, there's an SDC Facebook presence, but I'd don't see SDC reaching out to connect with with the chapter around the world; this would seem to be some of the basics, so that SDC could begin to feed and share news, stories, event and a whole lot more... but, maybe its coming down the track.
                      I know there are plenty of issues to contend, but ducking the digital and social media channels is not the way to reach out to a younger audience and grow the membership... in my humble opinion.
                      Richard
                      sigpic

Comment

I sold a decent but not exceptional 1963 Lark 4dr to a young fellow (mid 20's) and his girlfriend a year or so ago. He showed up to take possession of the Stude in his girlfriend's father's car, a late model Volvo XC90. I sold him the Lark with lots of spare parts so we put some in the trunk and he drove off with the understanding he could get the rest later. I also gave him a chapter business card... I have not seen him or the car since.

Maybe he bought it on spec since I have read some articles about what will make a good investment purchase and Studebakers have been mentioned a couple of times. I wonder if he has parked the car and in 25 years thinks he will make his own "barn find" headlines? I may never know.

Giving out cards, taking folks for a ride and just providing answers to peoples questions when you visit a car show are all good ideas for promoting our club and cars. I have done and continue to do that. If somebody decides to join the club because of some interaction they got from me, that is bonus, but I don't keep tabs. I will do what I can and simply hope for the best.

Comment

Working...
                        X