Walmart closing 63 Sam's stores...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 345 DeSoto View Post
    That's DIRTY! Looks like Wally World might be headed down the same trail as Kmart. They ran Kmart out of business, now it looks like pay back time...
    If the store you own is going to be shut down, the easiest way to dispose of all your merchandise is tell your employees the store will close in two weeks.
    Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
      If the store you own is going to be shut down, the easiest way to dispose of all your merchandise is tell your employees the store will close in two weeks.
      Never thought about that aspect but a good point. In my industry, you never saw the inside of the complex again if they let you go. We had way to much access to the technology and computer files that the company didn't want to see disappear.

Years back, the company gave people time to gather things and say goodbye but found out that in some cases the time was used to abscond with files and records. I can remember two cases that cost the company tons of dollars to recover assets and the individuals that took them never worked in the industry again so it was a lose/lose.

That's why the current policy was installed.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
        My thoughts exactly. It may seem heartless, but there's a reason . . . . .
        Skip Lackie

Comment

Some of the stores being closed are being retained and repurposed by the company. Not all the jobs will be lost but some certainly will be.
          Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
            Some of the stores being closed are being retained and repurposed by the company.
            Yep; some will be converted to online fulfillment centers.
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
              In addition to the pay raises (all the way up to $11/hr--WOW) and the $1000 bonus, which I hear is only going to 20+ year employees, many other thousands are just getting laid off, as well as the 63 Sam's Club closures.
              Costco has always paid above average and offered many employee benefits. I can't wait 'till we get one closer than 100 miles. We have two Walmarts within five miles and a Sam's Club, but I refuse to shop in any of them.
              The warehouse retailer (Costco) pays workers an average of $20.89 an hour, compared with Wal-Mart's average hourly wage of $11.83.

But Costco is expanding and Wal*Mart is contracting. Could it possibly be that Costco employees appreciate a decent wage, and try harder?

Comment

Working...
              X