Most Likely Vendor to Have Axle Shaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: Most Likely Vendor to Have Axle Shaft

Dad's 50 Champion needs a new axle shaft. I called Barry Hackney and he didn't think he had any. Just trying to avoid spending a day on the phone blindly calling various vendors. If anyone knows a vendor that typically has axle shafts, it might save me a bunch of time.
    Wayne
    "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Wayne, a long shot, but you may want to check with David Hauser in Clemmons NC. He probably would not have a new one, but may have a used rear end removed from a car sometime in the past.

For what it's worth, the part number is 521594 and is listed for 1947 thru 1950 Champions.
    Last edited by r1lark; 01-11-2018, 10:09 AM. Reason: added p/n info
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
    Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Vern Ediger in Kansas may have one. He frequents the Studebaker Truck Talk forum.

Comment

Studebakers West usually has them. They are the second largest parts dealer.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Stephen Allen's is having reproductions made, but it'll be a few more months before they're in stock.

Comment

Looks like I am going to be waiting for Stephen Allen's to get their re-pops done. None of the sources suggested have one of these axles.

It seems that Champions of this vintage all need axle shafts and the idler arm assembly in the steering. Finally found the idler arm and bought the last one they had. Looks like the axle shaft is going to be just as much of a search.
            Wayne

sigpic

Comment

Have you tried Tom Karkiewicz in South Bend? He might have a used axle, got a couple good rear hubs for the GH from him. Nice to deal with but doesn't do the internet, pay up front. 574 287-5834

Comment

For those who have had axles fail on these early postwar Champions - what is the predominant failure mode?
                Paul
                Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

It would be extremely rare for a Six Cylinder to have enough Power to actually Hurt anything inside the "Pumpkin".

The "Usual" failure would be the Axle Keyway from greasing it or the Hub, wrong installation of the Key, loose or not enough Torque on the Axle Nut, leaking Seal and no Lube etc. Not really failures, just dumb mistakes.

That is of course, assuming someone did not install a Torquey Studebaker V8!
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

There is a very good chance I have one or 2 or 4. I don't have parts id for everything but a photo of your old one and length.

rillerich@gmail.com

Comment

hadleyrille, e-mail sent. Part Number is 521594, if that is helpful.

As for failure mode, the threaded end collapsed under the pressure of the hub puller. Yes we had the nut installed when pulling. The hole for the Cotter pin is closed up and the last 3/8" of thread is all screwed up, as well as the threads of the nut. The strange thing was it had only been about a year since the last time we had the hub off.

I am liking the flanged axles I installed on my Hawk more and more.
                      Wayne

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wdills View Post
                        hadleyrille, e-mail sent. Part Number is 521594, if that is helpful.

As for failure mode, the threaded end collapsed under the pressure of the hub puller. Yes we had the nut installed when pulling. The hole for the Cotter pin is closed up and the last 3/8" of thread is all screwed up, as well as the threads of the nut. The strange thing was it had only been about a year since the last time we had the hub off.

I am liking the flanged axles I installed on my Hawk more and more.
                        Interesting failure mode. Thanks for relating it Wayne. And I hope hadleyrille has an axle for y'all.
                        Paul
                        Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

I have cleaned up damage to the threads and had good luck just grinding them off, clean it up with a die and its fine as long as it takes torque and is not in the area that does the 'holding' .

Comment

Wayne, I've seen axle threads messed up like that before, but am surprised to see it so stuck in just a year.
                            From now on I will insert a short steel rod in the hole to keep it open during a tight removal.

Comment

Tom Karkiewicz had one left so I bought it as soon as he confirmed he had it. Now if it just gets here without the post office destroying it.
                              Wayne

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X