Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Santa Barbara/Montecito Mudslides - Any SDC Members Affected?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Santa Barbara/Montecito Mudslides - Any SDC Members Affected?

I know we have some SDC and Forum members who live in the area hit by the recent fire and mudslides. Since no one has yet checked in I am curious if any of our members suffered any loss.
    My wife and I used to live in Montecito, on Romero Canyon Road, and know what the area looked like. We can only imagine what it looks like now.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

My long time Friend Alex Magdaleno a '53/'54 Coupe owner and my Cousin Linda and Husband both live in Camarillo, CA, I have been hoping everything is OK there.

It does not look good around Santa Barbara.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I live in Thousand Oaks and the fire was north of the 126. It did not come south of that at all. Started near Santa Paula, near the Thomas Aquintis college. Thenwent north and west, mainly north. Did go around Oaji. Right now 101 between Ventura and Santa Barbara closed, supposed to open tonight or tomorrow. Also 150 closed. Made for some tough driving to go from Ventura to Santa Barbara, as you had to go up the 5 and then come south to Santa Barbara. Saw lots of pictures but did not hear of any Studebaker’s hit, newer and other cars yes, but not Studebaker’s.

Now the rain this week caused the mudslides. 13 last count lost in the mudslides.

Mark

Comment

Just saw a news report on the flooding and it is a sad and tragic situation. It got me to thinking about some of my life experiences and how difficult it is to describe in words sufficient to convey the true picture. My experiences in Vietnam, for example. The heat, humidity, and smells. The different sounding "peeper" frogs at night compared to what I was used to in the hills of the Carolinas. The terror of incoming rockets, waking you from a deep sleep at 3:am, the concussion from the blasts reverberating though your internal organs, scrambling to a bunker with glowing red hot shrapnel falling all around, as you run for safety barefooted in your underwear.

In addition, how do you convey the idea of an odor unless it is experienced? In the aftermath of a nearby battle, even if you didn't experience the combat first hand, the smell of burned & deteriorating flesh becomes airborne and finds you, carried by the wind.

Seeing the raging mudslides & flooding in California, even with real video, is difficult to comprehend from the comfort of my recliner. The experience of 15 foot diameter boulders crashing downhill along, with tons of mud, has to be sheer terror! Not mere mud, but a mixture of broken sewer pipes, household chemicals, animal waste, etc., has to produce an odor that will linger, in reality and memory.

Although the possibility of future flooding/mudslides was mentioned during the fire events weeks ago, I'm sure the knowledge of that coming about did little to prepare the victims for the true "reality" as they experienced it and are trying to deal with the results. I'll be praying for them.
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Really John, I am serious, you should write BOOKS!
          You have so much more to say than can be said in a few words, so a few Books are a real possibility.

I have NEVER read a more apt description of the Vietnam War, EVER!
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

My wife and I just watched the news of this again tonight and saw the pictures of the chapel at La Casa de Maria ruined by the flooding. This is where we got married 37 years ago. It brought my wife to tears. So many wonderful memories of that place and the people we knew there. I hope they will rebuild.
            Ed Sallia
            Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              My long time Friend Alex Magdaleno a '53/'54 Coupe owner and my Cousin Linda and Husband both live in Camarillo, CA, I have been hoping everything is OK there.

It does not look good around Santa Barbara.
              Camarillo was not affected Rich, but Ventura was ravaged.

Comment

As others nearby have stated Camarillo was not affected by the fires (other than smoke). It is primarily surrounded by lush green farmlands in Somis and Saticoy to the north and west respectively. To the south is more farmland. To the east there is the Conejo Grade and fires have gone through there. But I lived in Camarillo for six years and even when the grade burned we never felt any danger. Fires just followed the mountain right down to the Pacific.
                '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

I was in northern Ca when the mud slides happenend but am back south now. The news coverage and pics we got in nor cal didn't even begin to describe the destruction the slides caused. It's truely undbelievable. The news tonight said the toll was up to 19 now and 5 still missing.

Comment

Good writing John! Thanks!
                    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Working...
                    X