Housing Width?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: Housing Width?

Is a 65 - 66 Commander rear axle housing the same width as a C/K body? Spring mounts the same?

JK

Yes. The only differences is the lengths from the centerline of the axles to the yoke, between the model 44, and the model 27. The Dana 44 is larger, and requires a shorter driveshaft if you are upgrading from a smaller model 27.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Sweet, looking at buying two '65s so the rear assembly is desirable with the flanged axles.

JK

Comment

Only late 1965's have flanged axles

Comment

Can you tell by body number?

JK

Comment

Almost NO info can be found with the Body Number since it is NOT the Car, only the sequential Body Line Number on the BODY line and the Year and Model Number you already know.

The Car Serial Number often is a clue, IF the changeover Car Number is known.

In this case, just remove a rear Hub Cap or Wheel Cover and look for the Axle end and Nut found on Tapered Axles, if none it's a Flanged Type.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I meant the serial number. I will see when I go to look at the cars this weekend.

JK

Comment

Both the model 27 and model 44 use the same 27 or 28 spline flanged axles. Six cylinder cars had a Dana 27 and 283 cars a 44. The flanged axles are trouble free untill you make some real power and add good tires. They can be twisted off with some effort. Don't ask how I know this.
                james r pepper

Comment

Working...
                X