Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When you look up "collector" in the dictionary...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When you look up "collector" in the dictionary...

...I'm pretty sure it's this guy's picture... BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Hopefully they will get some of this information straightened out before the sale. There are numerous errors in make/model as well as year (a '58 Continental is called a '59 and a '50 Mercury is called a '49). This before I even looked at all of the pictures.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

What Gary said. Don't take as gospel the identity or descriptions of any cars! BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Yikes! That is quite a collection. What wonderful stuff he had. I hope it all goes to new owners who will cherish and maintain them.
        Ed Sallia
        Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Where's the LIKE button again?

Wow.

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
            Hopefully they will get some of this information straightened out before the sale. There are numerous errors in make/model as well as year (a '58 Continental is called a '59 and a '50 Mercury is called a '49). This before I even looked at all of the pictures.
            As well as the 66 Ford that looks suspiciously like a 63/64
            Money may not buy happiness, but it's more comfortable to cry in a Mercedes than on a bicycle.

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
              I mentioned the errors earlier: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ghlight=squire

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                ...I'm pretty sure it's this guy's picture... BP

https://nam02.safelinks.protection.o...%3D&reserved=0
                Bob,

Something tells me you're right!

Rog
                '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                Smithtown,NY
                Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Some awesome Canadian only stuff for sale there!

Comment

Wow, what a wonderful collection.

But I do not understand one thing:
                    Why do some people buy such beautiful vehicles and then put them somewhere and let them rot?
                    This is not my understanding of a collector.

Comment

I will take a stab at why they are called collections.
                      Nobody who is a member of a group including Studebaker fans wants to use the H word.
                      People will say "Save them all....don't crush them" and some folks do just that.
                      How many times over the years have we read stories and seen pictures of someones 'collection' of Studebakers which is nothing more than a large amount of vehicles saved but nothing was ever done with them. Never restored or parted out so parts could be used on other cars.
                      Kenny James here in Minnesota. Over 50 Studebakers including Golden Hawks and a Speedster sitting for 40+ years with windows open.
                      He 'saved' all those cars. Most broke in two when the scrap yard came to haul them away.
                      He was called a collector,not the H word.
                      Chuck Naugle had a collection.He saved a whole lot of Studebakers,sold parts and restored some too.Most just sat until his auctions which dispersed the vehicles across the nation.
                      He was a collector,not the H word.
                      I can think of a gentleman in Wisconsin who has 'saved' a lot of Studes over the years and driven few.They sit outside and wait.
                      He is known as a collector,not the H word.
                      I think if we all thought about it we could come up with names of people who have either a large or small number of Studebakers in their possession that have not seen the road in many years. Some are on this Forum.They may have as little as 3-4 or 10+. Most are not driven and need restoration so they slowly buy parts needed to complete that 'someday' resto as time creeps up on their drive and financial ability to actually perform that restoration.Cars and parts accumulate and they talk about it even as they realize they will never get the car done. They did save them even though few ever see the vehicles and they deteriorated over the years.
                      They are collectors,we don't want to use the H word.
                      I bought 18 Studebakers from a collector here in Minnesota.'53-'55 coupes and hardtops,1/2T pickups,Larks and 4 door Presidents.All saved then parked outside in the elements.Not one was so rare it deserved a restoration.It was a very very rusty collection of used up vehicles.I parted them out and over 100 different people all around the world bought parts off those cars.Other cars are being driven and seen with those parts.
                      The guy I bought the vehicles from called himself a collector,not the H word.
                      That group of vehicles up in Canada was served better by that collector than most.His are in buildings which spared them the indignity of waiting to be rescued while rotting outside.
                      This is just my humble take on the subject.
                      I would like to add that the true collectors are those who buy,restore and drive/display their vehicles.
                      There are several here who I would put in that category.The vehicles are driven yearly and maintained
                      Last edited by bob40; 01-14-2018, 08:10 AM.
                      Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

"Bob40" - Well put.
                        When I got up to ten vehicles, I realized that I was mostly paying storage in three counties and could not keep up with maintaining the cars. I sold down to four and in recent years, I limit myself to one or two "extra" cars at a time.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Post #11: Well-stated, Bob. Your business qualifies you to speak to this subject better than 99% of us here, myself included.

Few people like to admit defeat; it's much easier to cling to the belief that "someday" will come when they'll be restored...and in the interim, it gives the owner something to talk about and with which they may tease fellow hobbyists and legitimate restorers as they subtly, but proudly, watch the cars deteriorate to nothing.

Probably every one of us on the forum could produce photographs or an address where one or more cars have been sitting, rotting, for as long as the poster can remember.

Southwest of Plainfield IN, near me, are two 1956 Plymouth Furys, rare cars and fairly complete, rotting down to nothing in the weeds that have been there so long I can't remember when they weren't there...and I'm talking decades. Among their brethren on that property is a rare 1968 Dodge Dart convertible with factory V8/4-speed and factory AM/FM radio. BP

Comment

Bob P's post (#13) reminds me of the last novelty rally that I set up. As points to find/identify I included several cars that had been sitting near the road on private property for years/decades. These were mostly 1950s cars, including a 1953 Studebaker. I set the rally up a few weeks in advance. As was my practice, I ran the rally route on the morning of the rally as a final check. At least three of the long standing/sitting cars had been removed. I had to rework the rally. I wonder if I was seen as some sort of threat of impending action when I may have been seen setting up the rally. I will never know, but it was an unusual experience that I didn't forget. None of the cars reappeared in the same location or anywhere else that I know of.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                              Southwest of Plainfield IN, near me, are two 1956 Plymouth Furys, rare cars and fairly complete, rotting down to nothing in the weeds that have been there so long I can't remember when they weren't there...and I'm talking decades. Among their brethren on that property is a rare 1968 Dodge Dart convertible with factory V8/4-speed and factory AM/FM radio. BP
                              I remember that! http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...-1-GM-pic-too)

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X