Tire size on a 55 Speedster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels / Tires: Tire size on a 55 Speedster

Bringing a 55 Speedster back to life after sitting 28 years and need to replace the tires (among many other to do's) and everything I'm reading states that the size tire that goes on the car is 7.10 X 15 but from when it was restored it has 6.70 X 15 mounted. Is there any reason that this would have been done? Or maybe did the person that did the restoration already have them at his shop from other restorations???
    At this point I'm plannig on buying 7.10 X 15 American Classic Radials from Coker but wanted to get some feedback first.

Thanks!

Originally posted by SPDSTER View Post
    Bringing a 55 Speedster back to life after sitting 28 years and need to replace the tires (among many other to do's) and everything I'm reading states that the size tire that goes on the car is 7.10 X 15 but from when it was restored it has 6.70 X 15 mounted. Is there any reason that this would have been done? Or maybe did the person that did the restoration already have them at his shop from other restorations???
    At this point I'm plannig on buying 7.10 X 15 American Classic Radials from Coker but wanted to get some feedback first.

Thanks!
    Proceed with your plan, Todd; the car's OEM tire size was 7.10X15. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

SPDSTER, Welcome to the Forum. I hope you have become a member of the Studebaker Drivers Club.

I believe the 6.70x15 would have been on the six cylinder Champion, not the Speedster.

If you are "Bringing a 55 Speedster back to life after sitting 28 years", please address the brakes before anything else. Better no go than no whoa!

Here's an article that will serve you well. http://studebakerdriversclub.com/TechThings2do.asp
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Brad, the standard tire size on 1955 Champion sedans was 6.40X15. Commander sedans and all station wagons had 6.70X15 tires. All Presidents, including the Speedster, got 7.10X15s. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
          Proceed with your plan, Todd; the car's OEM tire size was 7.10X15. BP

Thank you Bob!

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
            SPDSTER, Welcome to the Forum. I hope you have become a member of the Studebaker Drivers Club.

I believe the 6.70x15 would have been on the six cylinder Champion, not the Speedster.

If you are "Bringing a 55 Speedster back to life after sitting 28 years", please address the brakes before anything else. Better no go than no whoa!

Here's an article that will serve you well. http://studebakerdriversclub.com/TechThings2do.asp

Thanks Brad!
            I like this article and will use it to hopefully get the car to the SDC show in Tacoma this summer but have a ways to go.
            I'm probably being over cautious about everything, but this car is rather special as it's been in the family since about '57 and is all original. My grandfather was the second owner and my mom had it fully restored in the 80's, now I'm bringing it back to life so I can get her back out in it again.

Thank you for your input!

Todd

Comment

Working...
            X