No announcement yet.

Does Anyone Miss AMC/Rambler?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The AMX and the Scrambler were cool AMC cars. And, AMC cars did rather well racing in the late 60's/early 70's. Wally Booth was successful in Pro Stock with both Gremlins and Hornets, Mark Donahue Javelin's in Trans Am and Matadors (along with Bobby Allison) in Stock Car racing. Shirley Shahan was also a popular female drag racer with her Super Stock AMX.

Smartest thing AMC ever did was purchase Jeep. Worse thing that ever happened to AMC was Renault taking over. Unlike Studebaker (cars) that just died, AMC/Jeep melded into Chrysler of which they tried to keep a subdivision with the Eagle brand. Maybe that was a requirement to the remaining contracts with existing AMC dealers??? BTW, I looked and, yes, there are Eagle car clubs out there.
    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Originally posted by Stude Shoo-wop! View Post
      AMC/Rambler, being THE last Independent on the block, does hold a special place in my heart.
      Isn't Tesla an Independent?

Craig

Comment

When I was in college, and a little after,I was really into sports cars. I had an Elva Courier, an Austin Healy Sprite and a TR3 (with later TR4A mechanicals.). I belonged to a local sports car club and did road rallies and autocross. One of the other members of the club had a Javelin with the 401 cu.in. engine and a 4 speed. It handled quite well and was a decent competitor in the class that included Corvettes and the like. I rode in the car a few times as was very impressed. Presently there is a guy who lives not far from me who has a nice Javelin with a 401, but a three speed standard shift transmission. He rarely drives it because he says it uses too much gas. He does however drive a GTO Judge clone instead, which I do not understand. I really hope he doesn't decide to sell the Javelin, or let me know he is doing so, because I might have to get rid of a Studebaker to make sure that Javelin gets driven.

Oh, and yes I do miss AMC.
        Joe Roberts
        '61 R1 Champ
        '65 Cruiser
        Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
          Isn't Tesla an Independent?

Craig
          I wouldn't count them as they surfaced fairly recently and are exclusively electric. I was talking about the old time (vintage) makes.
          Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Comment

Could not argue about it being a good looking car - but that 258 and three speed made it a fun first car - really wish it would have had OD - then it would have been pretty dangerous...

Last edited by 62champ; 01-18-2018, 06:33 PM.

Comment

I was a fan of the last Matador, and as a pre driving age kid mowing lawns, thought if I had to buy a new car in the late 70's, it would be that ugly mug with free air conditioning!

I sold at a Chrysler dealer from 1985-91, and when the merger was about to take place, our parts manager showed us car guys that worked there an old greenbar report that listed all the AMC and Chrysler parts that were about to go NS1 (no longer serviced) to take advantage of the merger tax write off. We didn't have AMC parts books (or microfiche slides back then) to identify the massive list of AMC parts, but I do know some primo Mopar stuff from the 60's & 70's was destroyed for the tax write off.

It's real hard to convey to Studebaker guys, but we are darn lucky tax laws and circumstances were different for our parts in 1963-66.

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
                The last true AMC car was the Eagle station wagon, which ended production on December 14, 1987. These may have been the first 'crossover SUV', as you may recall that they had four-wheel drive and high ground clearance.

Interestingly, Jeep history keeps repeating itself. It was Willys-Overland that created 'Jeep' during WWII which it manufactured along with Willys passenger cars after the war.

Willys-Overland merged with Kaiser Motors in 1953 and Henry J. Kaiser soon phased out the production of Kaiser and Willys passenger cars (in 1955) and concentrated on the Jeep brand as it had no direct competition from other manufacturers and therefor was very profitable.

AMC bought out Jeep from Kaiser in 1970 and eventually discontinued various models of passenger cars due to a lack of profit, but Jeep manufacturing continued as it was very profitable.

Chrysler bought out AMC in 1987 and quickly ended production of the last remaining model of AMC passenger car, but continued Jeep production. And now recently, Chrysler has discontinued various models of it's own passenger cars (Dodge Viper, Dodge Dart, and Chrysler 200) and focusing more on Jeep production as it is the most profitable.

This makes me wonder....why did Willy-Overland merge with Kaiser?
                Despite Jeep having been owned by four automotive manufactures (and ultimately owned by foreign companies based in Germany (Daimler-Chrysler) and Italy (Fiat Chrysler), it keeps on going. It would appear to me that Willys-Overland had the best thing since sliced-bread! Despite the many ups & downs of the automotive industry, the sales of Jeeps have been strong for 75+ years. Amazing!
                Willys-Overland did not merge with Kaiser. Kaiser Motors Corporation purchased all the outstanding Willys-Overland stock for $62.8 million including $32 million in cash. What was Kaiser Motors would become Kaiser Industries, with Kaiser Aluminum, Kaiser Steel, Kaiser Chemical, Permanente Cement, and Willys Motors as subsidiaries. The automobiles (Willys Aero, Henry J and Kaiser) were sold by the Kaiser-Willys Sales Division of Willys Motors. Willys Aero production ended in April 1955, and Kaiser in June (May and June cars were shipped to Argentina) resulting in Kaiser-Willys Sales being disbanded after that.

Willys Motors always made a profit, against which Kaiser Industries applied the losses carried over from Kaiser Motors to eliminate the need to pay income taxes. Corporations could, and still can, carry forward losses from one year for seven years to apply against profits. Which is why the Kaisers acquired Willys. They could use up the tax credits and face the world without having to admit they had given up on the automotive industry. "The Kaisers never retrench!" Henry J. Kaiser reportedly said in 1948.

Willys Motors, Inc. became Kaiser Jeep Corporation on March 7, 1963.

In February, 1964 Kaiser Jeep Corporation purchased Studebaker's Chippewa plant along with Studebaker's $81 million contract for the production of 5-ton M-39 trucks for the U.S. Army.

By the way, before WW II Willys-Overland faced financial collapse in 1920 with declining sales, increasing losses and bank debts (saved by Walter P. Chrysler) and after falling sales from 1929 to 1931, bankruptcy in 1932. John N. Willys started his career in building automobiles in 1907 when he cashed a $1,000 cheque to get enough money to cover the payroll of the Overland Motor Co., a company he would save and then acquire. He died of a heart attack in 1935 just months before Willys-Overland came out of bankruptcy.
                Bill
                Vancouver, BC

Comment

Originally posted by Chrycoman View Post

By the way, before WW II Willys-Overland faced financial collapse in 1920 with declining sales, increasing losses and bank debts (saved by Walter P. Chrysler) and after falling sales from 1929 to 1931, bankruptcy in 1932. John N. Willys started his career in building automobiles in 1907 when he cashed a $1,000 cheque to get enough money to cover the payroll of the Overland Motor Co., a company he would save and then acquire. He died of a heart attack in 1935 just months before Willys-Overland came out of bankruptcy.
                  For some early Canadian content.

John North Willys also bought Tommy Russell's automotive division from Canadian Cycle & Motor company in 1915, thus ending the only sole Canadian-engineered, designed, and manufactured motor car, aside from the larger models equipped with Knight engines. Because Russell had exclusive rights to manufacturing and market the Knight engine in Canada, Willys was prevented from selling the Willys-Knight in Canada. Russell was facing financial problems with warranty claims over the Knight engine, John North Willys made Tommy an offer he couldn't refuse, just so he could sell his Willys-Knight in Canada.

Craig.

Comment

Rambler name goes back to 1900 and was the name initially applied to bicycles manufactured in Kenosha Wisconsin. In 1902 the was applied to a car built by the Jeffrey company to their first car. When Thomas Jeffrey died the name was changed to Jeffrey in 1916. In 1917 Charles Nash, who had just left the presidency of General Motors, bought the Jeffrey Company and changed the name to Nash. The name Rambler was revived in 1950 under George Mason. And the rest is history.

Bob Miles
                    Tucson AZ

Comment

Originally posted by Chrycoman View Post
                      Willys-Overland did not merge with Kaiser. Kaiser Motors Corporation purchased all the outstanding Willys-Overland stock for $62.8 million including $32 million in cash. What was Kaiser Motors would become Kaiser Industries, with Kaiser Aluminum, Kaiser Steel, Kaiser Chemical, Permanente Cement, and Willys Motors as subsidiaries. The automobiles (Willys Aero, Henry J and Kaiser) were sold by the Kaiser-Willys Sales Division of Willys Motors. Willys Aero production ended in April 1955, and Kaiser in June (May and June cars were shipped to Argentina) resulting in Kaiser-Willys Sales being disbanded after that.

Willys Motors always made a profit, against which Kaiser Industries applied the losses carried over from Kaiser Motors to eliminate the need to pay income taxes. Corporations could, and still can, carry forward losses from one year for seven years to apply against profits. Which is why the Kaisers acquired Willys. They could use up the tax credits and face the world without having to admit they had given up on the automotive industry. "The Kaisers never retrench!" Henry J. Kaiser reportedly said in 1948.

Willys Motors, Inc. became Kaiser Jeep Corporation on March 7, 1963.

In February, 1964 Kaiser Jeep Corporation purchased Studebaker's Chippewa plant along with Studebaker's $81 million contract for the production of 5-ton M-39 trucks for the U.S. Army.

Thanks for clarifying the details.
                      Skip Lackie

Comment

I love the Nash Ramblers and the re-issued 59' 60' examples. Just down right cool looking and fun to drive while being good on gas. I miss that funky little car with it's lovable dash layout.

Comment

The AMC dealers in my area never seemed to stock any interesting models. It got even worse with the Jeep-Eagle changeover.

Comment

In 1978 I bought a brand new AMC Concorde, 2-door with 121 CID four cylinder by Audi, and 4-speed transmission. It ran great, and got around 25 MPG. In 1982 I bought another new AMC Concorde, 2-door with 258 six cylinder and 5-speed transmission. Both were nice cars. When I left my x-wife in 1985, I took the 78 and left her the 82. Soon after, I bought a 62GT, and then sold the 78 AMC. Still have the 62GT, but have not owned an AMC since. I have always liked them though.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                              In 1978 I bought a brand new AMC Concorde, 2-door with 121 CID four cylinder by Audi, and 4-speed transmission. It ran great, and got around 25 MPG. In 1982 I bought another new AMC Concorde, 2-door with 258 six cylinder and 5-speed transmission. Both were nice cars. When I left my x-wife in 1985, I took the 78 and left her the 82. Soon after, I bought a 62GT, and then sold the 78 AMC. Still have the 62GT, but have not owned an AMC since. I have always liked them though.
                              The 1978 AMC would be a Concord. Chrysler made a Concorde. I do not know what your 1982 was. Perhaps it was a Hornet.
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                                The 1978 AMC would be a Concord. Chrysler made a Concorde. I do not know what your 1982 was. Perhaps it was a Hornet.
                                If it was 2wd, it would be a Concord. AMC abandoned the Hornet name after 1977 and replaced it with Concord.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                                X